1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to choose custom backup from dropbox to restore?

I've recently manually updated my phone's rom and it wiped off system data in the process.

Now during the first setup screens that you get the first time you start up the phone, I accidentally skipped the dropbox logon bit which would have triggered HTC backup to restore my previous phone settings from dropbox.

After realizing that, I setup my dropbox account but instead of using my existing backup it created a new backup folder.

So now I'm trying to figure out how I can get my phone to restore from my old backup folder on dropbox instead of the new one.

I've tried various ways and if I tamper with the new backup folder HTC refuses to backup from it saying the folder has been modified.

Thanks a bunch for your help.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: How to choose custom backup from dropbox to restore?

Quote Originally Posted by ld_pvl View Post
    I've recently manually updated my phone's rom and it wiped off system data in the process.

Now during the first setup screens that you get the first time you start up the phone, I accidentally skipped the dropbox logon bit which would have triggered HTC backup to restore my previous phone settings from dropbox.

After realizing that, I setup my dropbox account but instead of using my existing backup it created a new backup folder.

So now I'm trying to figure out how I can get my phone to restore from my old backup folder on dropbox instead of the new one.

I've tried various ways and if I tamper with the new backup folder HTC refuses to backup from it saying the folder has been modified.

Thanks a bunch for your help.

Did the new backup overwrite the previous one or did it just create a new one? Can you factory reset phone and then log in again and use backup you want too?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

It didn't overwrite. In dropbox there's a folder called "HTC backup" and in it there's two encrypted backups which I was referring to above.

Factory reset is the first thing I tried but it only picks up the backup from the new backup and not the old.

Can you use a program like ROM manager, ROM toolbox or titanium backup to use Dropbox to restore your old backup?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Not sure if they will be able restore because the backup is encrypted by the HTC backup tool but I'll give them a try.