Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC One: Battery draining?

My HTC One is only about 8 months old and just recently the battery needs to be charged multiple times per day. I set it so the % shows and if seems to be losing about 1% every minute or few minutes while in use. I close all apps when I'm finished, and I'm usually only messaging. My battery usage information shows some apps using about 1% of the battery while the android system itself is using 93% of the battery. I have enabled power saver and also turned off everything except mobile data. I also applied some tips I read about to preserve battery life. Nothing seems to help. Is this a common issue with the 4.3 update or should I be taking my phone in to my provider and asking them to fix it (since it is still under warranty)? Is there any way to reload the system software or go back to an older version?

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-17-2014 at 12:18 PM.

Default Re: Battery draining?

There must background running apps ... Or your screen brightness must be full and the resolution of our phone is high it takes more power...

You can check what's using the battery in the standard settings menu and install a battery monitoring app to get more detailed information. Personally I use BetterBatteryStats.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Revelations View Post
    My HTC One is only about 8 months old and just recently the battery needs to be charged multiple times per day. I set it so the % shows and if seems to be losing about 1% every minute or few minutes while in use. I close all apps when I'm finished, and I'm usually only messaging. My battery usage information shows some apps using about 1% of the battery while the android system itself is using 93% of the battery. I have enabled power saver and also turned off everything except mobile data. I also applied some tips I read about to preserve battery life. Nothing seems to help. Is this a common issue with the 4.3 update or should I be taking my phone in to my provider and asking them to fix it (since it is still under warranty)? Is there any way to reload the system software or go back to an older version?

It seems to be a problem with 4.3. I had excellant battery life with 4.1.2 I could go 17hrs sometimes over a day with moderate to heavy use. Now with 4.3 only 11hrs or less.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Change a person download and install older version of androd???

Actually, I didn`t had much experience with 4.3 as my phone is .... --->> Please Help ... !!! My HTC One shows Grey Battery with "!" Icon ... ??? <<---- ....
    Lol, Anyways but the thing I noticed the change in 4.3 was that in "Advanced Wifi Settings" there was option of better performance which use to drain more power when turned on but after the update it`s not there ....

I'm having this problem too. All of a sudden my battery is draining much faster. Usually the screen uses up the most power but now it is Android System. I'm completely stock so I think it might be related to an app update.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

There are lots of things you can do to lower battery consumption. Turn off gps/location services, manually change brightness to a comfortable setting (auto brightness uses more battery), lower screen timeout, turn off scanning always available in wifi advanced options (I think This is 4.3+), turn off vibrate on messages, calls and touch, under clock your cpu core via power saver or if rooted via a kernel (on power saver it's okay because it's automatically done by sense. If you do it via a kernel be very careful), turn off bluetooth, turn off NFC.

There are probably more but can't think right now. Try them out and see what happens. Charge your phone fully with the above settings as personally desired and see if it helps.
    legaldeejay likes this.

Me too. After 6 months of great battery life, it now sucks. AND the unit seems hot a lot. Maybe it is something with 4.3.

Now, for me, the #1 battery user (according to the stock POWER settings) is Phone Idle. Is something hanging something in the phone? Never saw it be a battery hog before.

Steve

I've always found the native battery reporting functions be be only minimally useful. They won't really get to the heart of the problem. I was having battery drain at home and it turned out to be a very chatty printer on my network broadcasting TCP/IP requests that would keep my phone from going into deep sleep (wlan_rx_wake). But the native reporting tools didn't really help me diagnose that, it was only after I installed a third party reporting tool that I was able to see what was going on.

Try getting a third party tool and dig into what's really causing the problems.

This app seems to be the best to find wakelocks etc.

Could be a network issue. Go to:

Settings -> System Updates - Update profile, Update PRL

Sometimes when you're having battery drain like that and it doesn't point to any app, the signal is the culprit. Update the PRL and data profile, shut the phone off (disable Fast Boot) for a few minutes then give it another go.

Quote Originally Posted by Abdul Basit Khan View Post
    Actually, I didn`t had much experience with 4.3 as my phone is .... --->> Please Help ... !!! My HTC One shows Grey Battery with "!" Icon ... ??? <<---- ....
    Lol, Anyways but the thing I noticed the change in 4.3 was that in "Advanced Wifi Settings" there was option of better performance which use to drain more power when turned on but after the update it`s not there ....
    I was told that the better WiFi performance option was intergrated in the "wifi optimization" setting. If you turn off WiFi optimzation then it will make your WiFi use more battery because it changed to best performance.

The only thing I have on is WiFi no mobile data etc... why is my battery drain per hour so high? I have dropbox syncing disabled.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HTC One: Battery draining?-uploadfromtaptalk1388524832405.jpg   HTC One: Battery draining?-uploadfromtaptalk1388524855070.jpg  

Your drain is 1.9% per hour. That's actually really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogs OfWar View Post
    Your drain is 1.9% per hour. That's actually really good.
    What is the normal range or battery drain per hour with network location always on with WiFi/mobile data?

For me if I'm using my phone in a normal way just doing what I do checking email, surfing the web, FB, etc. (wifi on, location on, bluetooth on, auto-brightness) I see 3-5% drain per hour. If I try to limit my use then I can get it under 3%/hour pretty easily. If I turn on HTC's power save mode then it goes down to around 1%/hour.

For me if I'm using my phone in a normal way just doing what I do checking email, surfing the web, FB, etc. (wifi on, location on, bluetooth on, auto-brightness) I see 3-5% drain per hour. If I try to limit my use then I can get it under 3%/hour pretty easily. If I turn on HTC's power save mode then it goes down to around 1%/hour.
    How long does your battery last with wifi/ mobile data with location services on, before you have to recharge your phone? Also when you say it goes down to 1%/hour with HTC power saver on, do you also have everything turned off (WiFi,GPS,Bluetooth etc...)? Also what is a normal awake % in the wakelock detector app without worrying about battery drain?
    Last edited by Lecrae116; 01-01-2014 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lecrae116 View Post
    How long does your battery last with wifi/ mobile data with location services on, before you have to recharge your phone? Also when you say it goes down to 1%/hour with HTC power saver on, do you also have everything turned off (WiFi,GPS,Bluetooth etc...)? Also what is a normal awake % in the wakelock detector app without worrying about battery drain?
    I don't drain my battery down every time so I don't measure how long it lasts. I charge it when I'm near an outlet unless I'm going to be traveling and away from an outlet. Otherwise I just use it normally. So from that point of view it really doesn't matter to me how long it lasts. Outlets are common enough that I can always find one when needed.

If I'm using the HTC power saver it's because I'm traveling and won't be near an outlet for a long time. In those cases I'm usually doing some aggressive power management and might go to airplane mode when I know I don't need to use the phone (like when I'm actually on an airplane or driving).

The wakelocks are not an exact science. The wakelocks that are a problem are the ones that are waking your phone up when they shouldn't be. Other ones are normal and your phone does need to wake up sometimes to receive messages, pull information for widgets, use the cell radio etc.

You're already running at a drain of 1.9%/hour. You aren't going to get a lot better than that unless you just don't use the phone, but you didn't buy it to not use it. It's just a phone, plug it in and charge it. It's not an old NiCad battery and you don't need to run it down each time. If you regularly aren't near an outlet for extended periods of time then get a portable power source like the Eton Boost Turbine or Morphie Juice Pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Walker View Post
    It seems to be a problem with 4.3. I had excellant battery life with 4.1.2 I could go 17hrs sometimes over a day with moderate to heavy use. Now with 4.3 only 11hrs or less.

I ha e 4.3 a s I still ca go 18 hours. it must be something wrong with the phone I would do a factory data reset.

I've always found the native battery reporting functions be be only minimally useful. They won't really get to the heart of the problem. I was having battery drain at home and it turned out to be a very chatty printer on my network broadcasting TCP/IP requests that would keep my phone from going into deep sleep (wlan_rx_wake). But the native reporting tools didn't really help me diagnose that, it was only after I installed a third party reporting tool that I was able to see what was going on.

Try getting a third party tool and dig into what's really causing the problems.
    Using the standard power app, right now the phone has been off charge for 5 hours and I'm at 83%, so over 3%/hr. Phone Idle is 41%of that, with the next closest culprit wifi at 21%. I've not made a single phone call today, and I've sent 3 texts and posts including this one. And I am in power saving mode.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by spthomas View Post
    Using the standard power app, right now the phone has been off charge for 5 hours and I'm at 83%, so over 3%/hr. Phone Idle is 41%of that, with the next closest culprit wifi at 21%. I've not made a single phone call today, and I've sent 3 texts and posts including this one. And I am in power saving mode.
    Install BetterBatteryStats and see what it reports for wakelocks.

Why is my phone going from 4% awake to 15%?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HTC One: Battery draining?-uploadfromtaptalk1389039066810.jpg  

Based just on that screen shot nobody is going to be able to answer that for you.

Based just on that screen shot nobody is going to be able to answer that for you.
    Well what other info do I need to provide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast