1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    482 Global Posts

Default microUSB -> SD reader possible?

Has anyone tried using a microUSB SD card reader? Does the phone microUSB have enough power to read a camera's SD card?

Inputs are appreciated. Thank you!

Default Re: microUSB -> SD reader possible?

Hi. For devices that it works on there's the Meenova card read/write. There are a few threads on it.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

I've never tried or really considered it, but if it's possible there will be an app at Google play for it. Just thinking out loud about this... I don't know what the interface would be between the phone and reader. I mean you would have to have some kind of file manager or other viewing interface in order to manipulate the files or use them, and I haven't seen anything like that on an android device, one that doesn't have a removable SD.
    Last edited by VidJunky; 12-31-2013 at 09:30 AM. Reason: somehow missed the other reply, my bad.
    Sent from my HTCOX Fōn.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    482 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    Hi. For devices that it works on there's the Meenova card read/write. There are a few threads on it.

I wouldn't want a microSD reader though, I want a regular SD reader that can be plugged into microUSB.

Quote Originally Posted by VidJunky View Post
    I've never tried or really considered it, but if it's possible there will be an app at Google play for it. Just thinking out loud about this... I don't know what the interface would be between the phone and reader. I mean you would have to have some kind of file manager or other viewing interface in order to manipulate the files or use them, and I haven't seen anything like that on an android device, one that doesn't have a removable SD.
    Wouldn't it just be treated like an extra storage card? I'm accessing files using "ES File Explorer" right now.

Quote Originally Posted by VidJunky View Post
    Nexus Media Importer but it doesn't work on certain devices (the download won't happen). Also Total Commander.

Quote Originally Posted by agp423 View Post
    I wouldn't want a microSD reader though, I want a regular SD reader that can be plugged into microUSB.

Wouldn't it just be treated like an extra storage card? I'm accessing files using "ES File Explorer" right now.
    I think Meenova can read SD. Not certain if ES File explorer can manipulate the files in a Meenova reader. See the options I mention above.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    482 Global Posts

But on the Meenova website it only sells products that read microSD.

All I did was buy an OnTheGo cable from Fry's for under $10 which has MicroUSB to SD and it came with an SD-MicroSD adapter as well so I can use either type memory card. Astro File Manager app has no trouble reading or writing to cards via the OTG. I can also view pix, listen to music or watch videos directly from the SD card without copying them to my ONE first. There can be some issues with certain "player apps" not seeing the card so it might be necessary to open the media files from within the File Manager app you choose. Astro or ES are both good choices for file management. MX Player or QQ Player work for me when playing back media and they both support a lot of codecs.
    Thanked by:

But on the Meenova website it only sells products that read microSD.
    You need Nexus Media Importer (play store) and you can write to the card.

Edit: or the other free apps mentioned above can do it.

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    482 Global Posts

No I mean hardware-wise, Meenova only sells products that physically can accept microSD cards. There must be something I'm not getting.

No I mean hardware-wise, Meenova only sells products that physically can accept microSD cards. There must be something I'm not getting.
    I thought it could handle SD too. :-/

There's this ImageMate and MobileMate

And others I found, but unsure about cost and if they're what you want.

Here's more

And there's more but you could look.