1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default My HTC one isn't very loud

Does anyone else feel like their one isn't very loud? My friend has an iPhone 5 and his phone sounds louder than mine. I've turned the beats audio on and off but his is still louder

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: My HTC one isn't very loud

After the update from 4.1 to 4.2 or .3 they have reduced the max volume of the One. This may also be in response to the blown speaker issue some users were experiencing. Currently I don't believe there is any way to override this but you may want to check Google Play for an app to boost the volume.
    Sent from my HTCOX Fōn.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

How can I tell if my speakers blew out?

After your question I did some looking and I think what is happening is not that people are experiencing blown speakers. From what I've gathered, read, and watched on YouTube it sounds like debris is getting inside of the aluminum speaker covers and causing a rattle or other noise at certain frequencies that give the symptoms of a blown speaker. I have yet to read or see anything specifically saying the user had a blown speaker. It mostly seems to be debate and I think it stems form this issue. A poster on YouTube has posted two vids, one showing the problem and one showing a temporary fix.

Sorry for being a sheep and quoting things I did not research first.
    Sent from my HTCOX Fōn.

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Grajeda View Post
    Does anyone else feel like their one isn't very loud? My friend has an iPhone 5 and his phone sounds louder than mine. I've turned the beats audio on and off but his is still louder

In my experience with my brand new htc one on some things my iphone 5 and a couple other phones were louder but the audio seperation and bass of the htc one provided a spectacular listening experience.

I would first look to make sure there isn't dirt stuck in the speaker grills. I've had this happen, and after cleaning them out with a tooth brush, it got a lot louder. If, on the other hand, the sound coming out is distorted, then you might have a blown speaker. I've had to send mine in twice to have the speakers replaced. It's sounds great now and is defiantly louder than an iphone 5. I hope I don't have to send it back in for speaker issues. I did buy it second hand on ebay, so I don't know how it was treated before I owned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Grajeda View Post

Quote Originally Posted by msooffutt View Post
    I would first look to make sure there isn't dirt stuck in the speaker grills. I've had this happen, and after cleaning them out with a tooth brush, it got a lot louder. If, on the other hand, the sound coming out is distorted, then you might have a blown speaker. I've had to send mine in twice to have the speakers replaced. It's sounds great now and is defiantly louder than an iphone 5. I hope I don't have to send it back in for speaker issues. I did buy it second hand on ebay, so I don't know how it was treated before I owned it.
    How did you clean it with a toothbrush?!

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Stroud1 View Post
    How did you clean it with a toothbrush?!
    With a lot of patience! The idea is to wiggle the brushes in such a way that they work themselves into the tiny holes. After awhile you will notice dirt working its way out, and I had a shop vac there to help suck out some of the dirt. Some of it is going to go into the phone, but I was able to suck out a good bit as well. It made a huge difference.

With a lot of patience! The idea is to wiggle the brushes in such a way that they work themselves into the tiny holes. After awhile you will notice dirt working its way out, and I had a shop vac there to help suck out some of the dirt. Some of it is going to go into the phone, but I was able to suck out a good bit as well. It made a huge difference.
    I can't for the life of me be still and patient enough to work the bristles in there haha. I just got a shop vac and straw. I feel like the lack of loudness for me is from software. It seemed much louder when I first got the phone before all the updates. Hopefully there isn't a bunch of dirt in the grills.

I can't for the life of me be still and patient enough to work the bristles in there haha. I just got a shop vac and straw. I feel like the lack of loudness for me is from software. It seemed much louder when I first got the phone before all the updates. Hopefully there isn't a bunch of dirt in the grills.

I was able to see the dirt in mine, so I was sure of what it was. I had bought it used, and have no idea how it got so much dirt inside. Hate to think it was ear dung. The notification light was also blocked, and at first I thought it didn't have one.

I had tried using a straw at first with a vacuum, but the dirt was too packed in, so I had to use something small enough to fit in and break the dirt loose. It took me about 15 minutes to get it done.

I was able to see the dirt in mine, so I was sure of what it was. I had bought it used, and have no idea how it got so much dirt inside. Hate to think it was ear dung. The notification light was also blocked, and at first I thought it didn't have one.

I had tried using a straw at first with a vacuum, but the dirt was too packed in, so I had to use something small enough to fit in and break the dirt loose. It took me about 15 minutes to get it done.
    Oh wow, If you were able to see it then I don't think thats my problem because I can't see anything. I can see how that would impair the volume dramatically. I'm glad you got yours fixed. I just think I got spoiled when the phone first came out and they lowered the volume in an update or I've just gotten so used to it that I think it isn't as loud anymore.

I didn't notice it at first, but found someone else online that had had the same issue, but with an htc one x. I took a bright flashlight and used that to see the dirt clogging the speaker grill. Sounds like this might not be your issue, but you might want to check with a flashlight to be sure.

Oh wow, If you were able to see it then I don't think thats my problem because I can't see anything. I can see how that would impair the volume dramatically. I'm glad you got yours fixed. I just think I got spoiled when the phone first came out and they lowered the volume in an update or I've just gotten so used to it that I think it isn't as loud anymore.