Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By MajikImaje
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Contacts & Photos Question

I've just received an HTC One - WoWoW I am sure impressed; The power of this thing is nothing short of incredible!
    This is my very first phone; (I'm 66)!!

I am as illiterate as can be with this marvel of technology.
    However, I have managed to set up contacts complete with photos (thumbnails) and a larger photo of the person I am calling;
    My question is this: How come when they call me, their photo doesn't show up?

The profile photo is empty;
    The two photos are still in my contact list so ... what have I done wrong??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Contacts & Photos Question

First welcome to the forum, to the One, and to Android. Joining a forum is the best way to keep up with your device.

You mention that you are new to cellular devices, and you say that you've set up your contacts and included 2 pics, so let's start there. It is curious to me that you say you included 2 pics because in the People app I don't see a way to have more than one pic for any contact with out having the same contact listed multiple times and then linking them. There are two ways to setup contacts online and on the device. Online is kind of advanced and being new I'm going to assume you are trying to do this from your device. Are you using the stock People app that came with the device or have you downloaded a third party app? If you open your app drawer and scroll to find the app named People and open that, are your contacts listed there. This is where your phone gets contact pics, and names for caller ID. If your contacts show up here and have pics do one or both of the following;

Open one of the contacts that has recently called you and did not display a pic, and be sure you have used the 10 digit format for their number, 1 is not needed with cell service. e.g. 7215558149 or (721) 555-8149 If you have not used the 10 digit format edit the number and ask them for a test call to see if that has fixed your issue. If not;

Scroll if you have to the bottom of the information listed for the contact and check that Block Contact is set to "off".

If by chance you set your contacts up on line through your Google account be sure that you have sync'd them with your device. In your Google settings be sure your phone number is listed correctly for the sync to work. If you still have issues post back and we'll get you up and running.
    Sent from my HTCOX Fōn.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

VidJunky! I owe you a six pack of Vid's

Yahoo!!! Wow you are awesome dude; Thanks so much. Now I can save what is left of my hair (from pulling it out) trying to figure this problem out.

1. When I first experienced this problem - I did a google search and I was shocked to find so many people complaining about the same issue - alas with no one (forum) resolving the issue.

Then I stumbled upon this forum - I didn't see that question or topic - I just figured it was buried someone where, in the many pages of threads. Out of desperation I posted and didn't think anything would happen. Lo & behold - I was wrong!!

BINGO - your fix of merely using ten digit format worked perfectly! This phone is the most powerful awesome thing I have ever seen in my life.

I am getting four more of these for my 4 sons!

I am going to put this phone through rigorous testing @ minus 30 - 50 below zero! That is our norm 9 months out of the year - below zero!!

Just to give you a "flavor" about my location - (chuckle).

Contacts & Photos Question-dsc_9292.jpg

200 miles above the arctic circle in Alaska !

Point Hope is a small whaling village of about 700 Inupiaq Eskimo's!
    We live out on the frozen ocean ice for 3 months every year gathering food.
    I can't wait to use this camera next spring (March - April) for the next whale hunt!

Contacts & Photos Question-35.jpg

Thank you so much VidJunky; I'm not sure whether to send you a six pack of vid's or a case of "junkies" !!
    (chuckle) thanks a-lot.
    I've got lots of questions... (coming soon)!
    Thanked by 2:
    VidJunky and HelloNNNewman like this.

if you use facebook or g+, you can link your contacts to their online accounts (if you are friends with them) and the phone will use their facebook/g+ profile photo.

its handy if you don't want to be bothered setting up photos for every single contact.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I'm working on it right now as we speak - thanks so much for providing more information about this.
    Tis always helpful to be able to accomplish the same task in a different way.

I read all the posts on the thread which music player to use; I went through that several times; That is why I joined this forum -!!

I just have to learn how to use this most incredible powerful phone. For the most part my photos stink. I'm sure I will get the hang of it soon!

Thanks again for (all) the input Troneas. No relation to the famous Photo- Tron eh ??

Thank you for the thanks I will look you up if I ever get out of the lower 48. Meanwhile I'm still curious how you were setting two photos to each contact? By the way the photos you posted are very nice. The view from the plane is awesome and the other is incredibly interesting. Not sure I'd want to brave the cold like that but I'm always interested in seeing other places and lifestyles.
    Sent from my HTCOX Fōn.

If the OP's camera goes pink, I'm calling shenanigans on the overheating theory
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Thanks again for taking the time to answer (with the correct solution)!!

Two photos for each contact? Well in the list of contacts are the tiny thumbnails ( about 20 pixels by 20 pixels).
    When I tap the contact name - I view a much larger image (about 180 x 150 pixels) each image is the same photo. & when that contact calls me - then the larger photo is displayed!

.. .. .. "if you ever get out of the lower 48". I would advise you to get the heck out of there a.s.a.p. It is going to soon become a Mad Max zone in the big cities down there;

The arctic is "paradise" - no noise - no traffic - no long lines. In Barrow Alaska @ the top of the world; Heat is free (natural gas) in all homes. The cold up here is different; It is crisp & extremely refreshing. The cold just -- "gets on you", It doesn't penetrate your clothing. I'm originally from the East Coast; Boston is a great place .. .. "to leave".
    I will gladly take minus 40 below (Alaska) over 30 above in Boston! I brought my Inupiaq wife back to boston in 1983. Wearing her big Eskimo fur parky - she froze her a off @ 30 above zero. She cold not take the bitter cold!!

When we go whaling (many miles out on the ocean ice). this is home for two months - right here; This is where you sleep, eat, hunt & go to the bathroom. There are no tents (for the hunters) - they sleep outside for the entire two months - no one gets cold!! (this is impossible) for you to comprehend or understand!! This is a typical whaling camp 7 miles out from land on the frozen ocean ice pack.
    ...Waiting for animals to migrate through the narrow lead opening in the ice. This image was created precisely @ midnight in May of 82

Contacts & Photos Question-watching.jpg