Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC One: Useless RAM

Have any of you noticed that you cannot use more than 1G of the RAM? I even taught that my phone does not really have 2GB RAM but 1. I installed this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ion.fillmemory to try to fill the memory and see if anything beyond 1G is usable. Turns out it is usable but Android, or something that HTC has made to Android, kills apps immediately until RAM usage goes below 1G. What is the point of having 2 gigs when half of them are not used? This is very annoying since I want to have several apps opened, but Android keeps killing some of them despite the fact that there is enough memory to keep them opened. The phone is powerful enough to reopen them fast, so some of you may not find this as a problem, but it really annoys me. If anybody knows how to fix this, please tell me

Thanks!

Global Posts
    7,223 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: Useless RAM

The rest of RAM is dedicated to running the OS, the GPUs, etc. What you're seeing as available to you is what is available to apps, the launcher and the recent apps interface. There is nothing going wrong here, it's just represented in a slightly weird way but that happens across all devices.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I see 1.7GB as available. So 300MB for the OS seems reasonable and I do not complain about that. But since 1.7GB should be available for apps, I would like that these 1.7 Gigs are being used, or at least 1.5. What is the point of having so much memory which is not being used? Android does not need 1GB dedicated for the OS, does it? The recent apps interface should be just a small app that needs memory to hold 9 screenshots of the opened apps, which are scaled down, so they are not with native resolution - so I believe this app uses 1Mb or 2 at most. 2MB sounds a lot though.
    I wonder if this is Android issue and if KitKat will fix it.

Global Posts
    7,223 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

I'm not familiar with how HTC displays it because all of my devices are stock or very near stock Android, but all of the devices that have 2GB RAM consistently show 1.2GB available. Recent apps is also much more than thumbnails, it is holding as many apps available in memory as it can until RAM is needed, at which times it closes them oldest first.

As previously indicated: There is nothing going wrong here, it's just represented in a slightly weird way but that happens across all devices. Unless you're troubleshooting a very specific app that is abusing RAM, there is very little need in Android to monitor or micromanage RAM. It's one of the most efficient parts of Android and nothing that you have said indicates a problem at all unless you have accompanying performance issues due to a misbehaving app that's hogging RAM resources.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Ok, it's a really weird way of displaying memory usage. However I found peace now. Looking at /proc/meminfo I see this
    Code:
    MemTotal:        1824116 kB
    MemFree:          143184 kB
    which tells that only ~140MB are free out of ~1.7 gig.
    Whew, it is making use of the memory.
    Sorry for bothering you, I should have checked this earlier.

Global Posts
    622 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raxbg View Post
    Ok, it's a really weird way of displaying memory usage. However I found peace now. Looking at /proc/meminfo I see this
    Code:
    Why are you concerned about Ram usage on the fastest (or one of) Android phone, with the least lag? Lol.

Posted via Android Central App
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.
    Thanked by 2:

Default Re: HTC One: Useless RAM

Your staring at numbers which mean nothing if the phone is working fine .

I never look at my RAM. Android is good at handling it all.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by raxbg View Post
    Code:
    That seems abnormal. Restart your phone with fastboot off and check it again.