Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    430 Global Posts

Default My SMS has slowed to a crawl, again:

Ive emptied out all my old messages.
    Yet it still takes a good 3 seconds for a sent text to register on the screen and sometimes longer.
    Also, now I am noticing that when I enter a name in the "to" field, it can take 3-5 seconds for the phone to come up with a list of name-options.

Why is this happening?

This phone's processors should be able to handle virtually anything I throw at it...

Default Re: My SMS has slowed to a crawl, again:

If I had one guess I'd say Facebook. It could also be email or a combination of both. I haven't seen it too much in the One threads but on a lot of other phones the Facebook app holds its cache and must be emptied manually at least occasionally. This also works for low memory messages. As for email it seems most apps hold copies of sent emails on the device by default, instead of the server. It's not an issue of holding inbox messages like with SMS apps. So clearing your unwanted or unneeded messages from your SMS is always a good start, but clearing your FB cache and clearing sent emails form your device do more to help with resources.

Depending on your email app you should be able to set it to save sent messages to the server and not the device. With Maildroid you have to go into each individual account's preferences and change the sent email saved to location. Not sure if the stock email app offers this choice since I got rid of it before ever using it.
    Sent from my HTCOX Fōn.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    430 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VidJunky View Post
    If I had one guess I'd say Facebook. It could also be email or a combination of both. I haven't seen it too much in the One threads but on a lot of other phones the Facebook app holds its cache and must be emptied manually at least occasionally. This also works for low memory messages. As for email it seems most apps hold copies of sent emails on the device by default, instead of the server. It's not an issue of holding inbox messages like with SMS apps. So clearing your unwanted or unneeded messages from your SMS is always a good start, but clearing your FB cache and clearing sent emails form your device do more to help with resources.

Depending on your email app you should be able to set it to save sent messages to the server and not the device. With Maildroid you have to go into each individual account's preferences and change the sent email saved to location. Not sure if the stock email app offers this choice since I got rid of it before ever using it.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Would you happen to know where I can find the cache settings in the FB app? Cant seem to find it.

Also, I am using the stock mail with Microsoft Exchange. There doesnt appear to be any "sent email" settings.
    Is it worth maybe looking at another email app?

Settings>Apps>All scroll down to the Facebook apps and clear the cache for each one.

As for the stock email, you'll find that a lot of users pick up third party apps. At the same time I don't use the stock app so it's possible that you can clear the cache to get rid of sent items. With maildroid you just choose to have sent items saved to server.
    Thanked by:
    kwitel