Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Default Emoticons on SwiftKey / stock messenger

I updated to kitkat this morning, and it appears that I just now get the ascii for the smileys and such, whereas before they would be yellow /colored smileys. Is there a setting in completely over looking, or is this the behavior now? I'm using the stock texting messenger with SwiftKey.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Emoticons on SwiftKey / stock messenger

swiftkey does not have smileys (emoticons/emoji), though they have plans to add it soon (tm).

you are getting confused with the stock keyboard.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

I've only used SwiftKey for the last 2 years and I'm pretty sure they had the base smileys before, like a smile, sad face, tongue sticking out etc.

Now I'm all sorts of confused. Can anyone using 4.3 with SwiftKey confirm?

if you are using 4.3, you are already a version behind.

you should be running 4.4

and 4.5 (currently in beta) will have emojis:

New SwiftKey beta brings emoji and number row!
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Sorry, I meant jelly bean 4.3.

oh i see.

an android update won't remove a third party app feature. it might bring compatibility issues but that is not what this is about.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

After some googling, it looks like anyone with sense 5.5 is having the issue. Thanks for the feedback. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Indyrobb View Post
    After some googling, it looks like anyone with sense 5.5 is having the issue. Thanks for the feedback. :-)

link?

sorry i find it hard to believe that sense 5.5 removed emojis from swiftkey; especially when emojis in swiftkey are still in beta.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

ok i think we were talking about two different issues here.

you are talking about emojis as they appear on the text window - i was talking about emojis as they appear on the keyboard.

swiftkey does not support emojis yet. they have a set of smileys which may or may not convert to emojis on the text app. in this case, it appears to have changed with sense 5.5 dropping support for emojis in the text app; but it has nothing to do with swiftkey.

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts

" it appears to have changed with sense 5.5 dropping support for emojis in the text app" <-- No. Just the opposite has taken place with Sense 5.5. It does support emojis now. Emojis are built into the texting app under Sense 5.5. The standard smileys are still supported from before, but it just uses plain text representations, rather than graphic replacements as before for those. Switkey uses the standard text representations too, rather than graphic replacements.

If you press the smiley key on your standard keyboard now, you will have access to the giant library of emojis rather than the dozen or so standard smileys.

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pistos View Post
    " it appears to have changed with sense 5.5 dropping support for emojis in the text app" <-- No. Just the opposite has taken place with Sense 5.5. It does support emojis now. Emojis are built into the texting app under Sense 5.5. The standard smileys are still supported from before, but it just uses plain text representations, rather than graphic replacements as before for those. Switkey uses the standard text representations too, rather than graphic replacements.

If you press the smiley key on your standard keyboard now, you will have access to the giant library of emojis rather than the dozen or so standard smileys.
    Thanks. I just checked that out. I like all of the emoji's. I normally use Swift key, I forgot how good the stock keyboard is.

the stock keyboard is improved with sense 5.5 (or is it android 4.4?). i certainly noticed the difference when i upgraded back in november.