KitKat and/or Sense 5.5 - Are they to blame for my battery dropping like a rock?

decypher44

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I guess it is similar to when I updated to 4.3 on Sprint. Battery life was awful for quite a while, then just got better. Then once I updated to KitKat, the battery life is dropping again like a lead balloon!

Anyone else?

ETA: Google location is still turned off.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar problem, but it turned out to be an app that was installed prior to updating. After the update, it pretty much turned itself into a runaway process that kept the phone awake constantly. Also, I had a widget do the same thing.

Posted via Android Central App

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
On 4.3 I did. Nothing changed at all when I did it (just a hassle of getting everything back how I had it). Because of that experience, I am hesitant to do it again.

I'd give it a few days.. It was a huge update in file size, let the device settle down..

My Nexus 7 was a bit awkward at first too when I went from 4.3.x to 4.4.2 and it settled in after a few days.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
To me it seems like the reporting is more erratic but the actual overall life is fine.
Like it will go from 100% to 70% in like three hours, but then take six hours to go from 70% to 50%.

But it has only been a couple days so it most likely will stabilize by the end of the week.

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I guess it is similar to when I updated to 4.3 on Sprint. Battery life was awful for quite a while, then just got better. Then once I updated to KitKat, the battery life is dropping again like a lead balloon!

Anyone else?

ETA: Google location is still turned off.

Check what is running and disable any Google services you don't use. Also check out your settings because some of them may have changed. Wifi things, Location things etc.
Wait a couple of days and use a battery monitor app to see what's wrong.

decypher44

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Check what is running and disable any Google services you don't use. Also check out your settings because some of them may have changed. Wifi things, Location things etc.
Wait a couple of days and use a battery monitor app to see what's wrong.

I checked my settings and they all seem the same.

HOWEVER...all of the sudden, my WiFi is turning on by itself. I have it off, but it turns on. What is that about? I checked the scanning options, and it is turned off.

ETA: After going through all the settings, the Sprint Connections Optimizer is enabled. I'm thinking that's it.

tigerNamedtony07

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Battery has gotten better after a few days. Sunday the phone went dead after 5 hours. Monday and today I've had the phone off charger since 6 am and it's now 2. Has the phone going for 7.5 hours bore and I'm at 63 percent left.

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site

HOWEVER...all of the sudden, my WiFi is turning on by itself. I have it off, but it turns on. What is that about? I checked the scanning options, and it is turned off.

ETA: After going through all the settings, the Sprint Connections Optimizer is enabled. I'm thinking that's it.

It's highly possible. See if things improve now.

llamabreath

Banned
Apr 18, 2013
Visit site

That IS it.
You should disable it. I did also and it's fine now.

>>> Sent from Hotlanta

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
OP, is your battery working okay now? Mine is dropping like crazy too. The optimizer is off but my battery is still suffering, and rapidly.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

Jimmy Walker

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to try out these tips too. My battery life is now even worse after the Kitkat update than it was with 4.3.

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
After any update, I perform a cache wipe. It is just a habit of mine. I do not have any battery issues.
If that doesn't work, as suggested here before, factory reset.

decypher44

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
After any update, I perform a cache wipe. It is just a habit of mine. I do not have any battery issues.
If that doesn't work, as suggested here before, factory reset.

Had to Google on how to do the Cache Wipe. Just gave it a go. I'll give the phone a couple more days and evaluate if there is any improvement. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:

decypher44

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: After digging around in my phone (what little I know how to do), I found that one app was being reported as using quite a bit of resources. That was my Anaheim Ducks app. It's an official NHL team app. I uninstalled it for now and see if that helps.

Just wanted to give a heads-up so if anyone else is experiencing bad battery drain, and you have an NHL team app, that might be one of the issues.

It must be how the app is written that conflicts with Kit Kat, because I had zero issues with it before.

Lecrae116

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE: After digging around in my phone (what little I know how to do), I found that one app was being reported as using quite a bit of resources. That was my Anaheim Ducks app. It's an official NHL team app. I uninstalled it for now and see if that helps.

Just wanted to give a heads-up so if anyone else is experiencing bad battery drain, and you have an NHL team app, that might be one of the issues.

It must be how the app is written that conflicts with Kit Kat, because I had zero issues with it before.

How did you know if an app is using too much resources?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy