Results 1 to 25 of 25
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By llamabreath
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default KitKat and/or Sense 5.5 - Are they to blame for my battery dropping like a rock?

    I guess it is similar to when I updated to 4.3 on Sprint. Battery life was awful for quite a while, then just got better. Then once I updated to KitKat, the battery life is dropping again like a lead balloon!


    Anyone else?

    ETA: Google location is still turned off.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: KitKat and/or Sense 5.5 - Are they to blame for my battery dropping like a rock?

    Done a factory reset?
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central





  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: KitKat and/or Sense 5.5 - Are they to blame for my battery dropping like a rock?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Done a factory reset?
    On 4.3 I did. Nothing changed at all when I did it (just a hassle of getting everything back how I had it). Because of that experience, I am hesitant to do it again.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: KitKat and/or Sense 5.5 - Are they to blame for my battery dropping like a rock?

    I had a similar problem, but it turned out to be an app that was installed prior to updating. After the update, it pretty much turned itself into a runaway process that kept the phone awake constantly. Also, I had a widget do the same thing.

    Posted via Android Central App
  5. #5  

    Default Re: KitKat and/or Sense 5.5 - Are they to blame for my battery dropping like a rock?

    Quote Originally Posted by decypher44 View Post
    On 4.3 I did. Nothing changed at all when I did it (just a hassle of getting everything back how I had it). Because of that experience, I am hesitant to do it again.
    I'd give it a few days.. It was a huge update in file size, let the device settle down..

    My Nexus 7 was a bit awkward at first too when I went from 4.3.x to 4.4.2 and it settled in after a few days.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central





    Thanked by:
  6. #6  

    Default Re: KitKat and/or Sense 5.5 - Are they to blame for my battery dropping like a rock?

    To me it seems like the reporting is more erratic but the actual overall life is fine.
    Like it will go from 100% to 70% in like three hours, but then take six hours to go from 70% to 50%.

    But it has only been a couple days so it most likely will stabilize by the end of the week.
    Thanked by:
  7. #7  
    Loiter's Avatar

    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts

    Default Re: KitKat and/or Sense 5.5 - Are they to blame for my battery dropping like a rock?

    Quote Originally Posted by decypher44 View Post
    I guess it is similar to when I updated to 4.3 on Sprint. Battery life was awful for quite a while, then just got better. Then once I updated to KitKat, the battery life is dropping again like a lead balloon!


    Anyone else?

    ETA: Google location is still turned off.
    Check what is running and disable any Google services you don't use. Also check out your settings because some of them may have changed. Wifi things, Location things etc.
    Wait a couple of days and use a battery monitor app to see what's wrong.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: KitKat and/or Sense 5.5 - Are they to blame for my battery dropping like a rock?

    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    Check what is running and disable any Google services you don't use. Also check out your settings because some of them may have changed. Wifi things, Location things etc.
    Wait a couple of days and use a battery monitor app to see what's wrong.
    I checked my settings and they all seem the same.

    HOWEVER...all of the sudden, my WiFi is turning on by itself. I have it off, but it turns on. What is that about? I checked the scanning options, and it is turned off.

    ETA: After going through all the settings, the Sprint Connections Optimizer is enabled. I'm thinking that's it.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: KitKat and/or Sense 5.5 - Are they to blame for my battery dropping like a rock?

    Battery has gotten better after a few days. Sunday the phone went dead after 5 hours. Monday and today I've had the phone off charger since 6 am and it's now 2. Has the phone going for 7.5 hours bore and I'm at 63 percent left.

    Posted via Android Central App
  10. #10  
    Loiter's Avatar

    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts

    Default Re: KitKat and/or Sense 5.5 - Are they to blame for my battery dropping like a rock?

    Quote Originally Posted by decypher44 View Post
    I checked my settings and they all seem the same.

    HOWEVER...all of the sudden, my WiFi is turning on by itself. I have it off, but it turns on. What is that about? I checked the scanning options, and it is turned off.

    ETA: After going through all the settings, the Sprint Connections Optimizer is enabled. I'm thinking that's it.
    It's highly possible. See if things improve now.
  11. #11  
    llamabreath's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    87 Posts

    Default Re: KitKat and/or Sense 5.5 - Are they to blame for my battery dropping like a rock?

    Quote Originally Posted by decypher44 View Post
    I checked my settings and they all seem the same.

    HOWEVER...all of the sudden, my WiFi is turning on by itself. I have it off, but it turns on. What is that about? I checked the scanning options, and it is turned off.

    ETA: After going through all the settings, the Sprint Connections Optimizer is enabled. I'm thinking that's it.
    That IS it.
    You should disable it. I did also and it's fine now.



    >>> Sent from Hotlanta
  12. #12  

    Default Re: KitKat and/or Sense 5.5 - Are they to blame for my battery dropping like a rock?

    OP, is your battery working okay now? Mine is dropping like crazy too. The optimizer is off but my battery is still suffering, and rapidly.

    Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
  13. #13  

    Default Re: KitKat and/or Sense 5.5 - Are they to blame for my battery dropping like a rock?

    I'm going to try out these tips too. My battery life is now even worse after the Kitkat update than it was with 4.3.

    Posted via Android Central App
  14. #14  
    llamabreath's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    87 Posts

    Default Re: KitKat and/or Sense 5.5 - Are they to blame for my battery dropping like a rock?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Walker View Post
    I'm going to try out these tips too. My battery life is now even worse after the Kitkat update than it was with 4.3.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Mine too.



    >>> Sent from Hotlanta
    Jimmy Walker likes this.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: KitKat and/or Sense 5.5 - Are they to blame for my battery dropping like a rock?

    Disabled Sprint Connections Optimizer, but battery life is still bad.
    Last edited by decypher44; 02-05-2014 at 02:59 PM.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: KitKat and/or Sense 5.5 - Are they to blame for my battery dropping like a rock?

    After any update, I perform a cache wipe. It is just a habit of mine. I do not have any battery issues.
    If that doesn't work, as suggested here before, factory reset.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default Re: KitKat and/or Sense 5.5 - Are they to blame for my battery dropping like a rock?

    Quote Originally Posted by puch96 View Post
    After any update, I perform a cache wipe. It is just a habit of mine. I do not have any battery issues.
    If that doesn't work, as suggested here before, factory reset.
    Had to Google on how to do the Cache Wipe. Just gave it a go. I'll give the phone a couple more days and evaluate if there is any improvement. Thanks for the tip!
    Last edited by decypher44; 02-05-2014 at 04:08 PM.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default Re: KitKat and/or Sense 5.5 - Are they to blame for my battery dropping like a rock?

    UPDATE: After digging around in my phone (what little I know how to do), I found that one app was being reported as using quite a bit of resources. That was my Anaheim Ducks app. It's an official NHL team app. I uninstalled it for now and see if that helps.

    Just wanted to give a heads-up so if anyone else is experiencing bad battery drain, and you have an NHL team app, that might be one of the issues.

    It must be how the app is written that conflicts with Kit Kat, because I had zero issues with it before.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: KitKat and/or Sense 5.5 - Are they to blame for my battery dropping like a rock?

    Quote Originally Posted by decypher44 View Post
    UPDATE: After digging around in my phone (what little I know how to do), I found that one app was being reported as using quite a bit of resources. That was my Anaheim Ducks app. It's an official NHL team app. I uninstalled it for now and see if that helps.

    Just wanted to give a heads-up so if anyone else is experiencing bad battery drain, and you have an NHL team app, that might be one of the issues.

    It must be how the app is written that conflicts with Kit Kat, because I had zero issues with it before.
    How did you know if an app is using too much resources?

    Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
  20. #20  
    coronaboy10's Avatar

    Posts
    319 Posts
    Global Posts
    457 Global Posts
    ROM
    Insert Coin 5.5

    Default Re: KitKat and/or Sense 5.5 - Are they to blame for my battery dropping like a rock?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lecrae116 View Post
    How did you know if an app is using too much resources?

    Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
    Settings, Power, Usage.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: KitKat and/or Sense 5.5 - Are they to blame for my battery dropping like a rock?

    Quote Originally Posted by coronaboy10 View Post
    Settings, Power, Usage.
    Mine shows Google services @ 99% and android os at 1%. Is this normal?
  22. #22  

    Default Re: KitKat and/or Sense 5.5 - Are they to blame for my battery dropping like a rock?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lecrae116 View Post
    Mine shows Google services @ 99% and android os at 1%. Is this normal?
    Nope, something is "stuck" and running constantly in the background.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: KitKat and/or Sense 5.5 - Are they to blame for my battery dropping like a rock?

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    Nope, something is "stuck" and running constantly in the background.
    How am I suppose to see whats using Google services?
  24. #24  

    Default Re: KitKat and/or Sense 5.5 - Are they to blame for my battery dropping like a rock?

    Quote Originally Posted by decypher44 View Post
    UPDATE: After digging around in my phone (what little I know how to do), I found that one app was being reported as using quite a bit of resources. That was my Anaheim Ducks app. It's an official NHL team app. I uninstalled it for now and see if that helps.

    Just wanted to give a heads-up so if anyone else is experiencing bad battery drain, and you have an NHL team app, that might be one of the issues.

    It must be how the app is written that conflicts with Kit Kat, because I had zero issues with it before.
    If you don't want to Uninstall your app but want to save your battery try Greenify. This enables you to keep your app on hibernation mode.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  25. #25  
    mkhall's Avatar

    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

    Default Re: KitKat and/or Sense 5.5 - Are they to blame for my battery dropping like a rock?

    I've turned off the Connections Optimizer, and still Maps is using 72-78% of my juice. I guess I should do a factory reset, because right now my phone sits in the charger all night, and I wake up to it being around 9-12%.

    I love the phone, but between this and the endless camera woes, I can't say I'll be in a hurry to buy another HTC device.

Similar Threads

  1. I need help with storage issues on my LG Optimus
    By Debbiesue49 in forum LG Optimus Series
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-17-2014, 01:53 PM
  2. Nexus 4 vs Nexus 5 battery?
    By mykwinters in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-10-2014, 02:19 AM
  3. Huge battery drain in airplane mode
    By fc_themaster in forum Google Nexus 4
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-05-2014, 05:43 PM
  4. Expandable Storage device for your android phones
    By milton_quranda in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2014, 10:26 AM

Posting Permissions

B