Volume Control issues since HTC One update to 4.4.2

losergeek

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Since updating to kit kat (4.4.2 on Bell) the volume control for media has been sketchy - it doesn't happen all the time, but occasionally if I try to change the volume with either the hard buttons or the software mixer it has no effect on the volume of what's playing. I've noticed for media playing in the chrome browser as well as the youtube app specifically. I've also noticed that sometimes when I try to adjust the volume in the software mixer it plays a reference sound like it does for when you change the alarm volume, as if I've using the wrong slider (which I'm not). I've also noticed it happening when I'm using headphones as well as the speakers. I've restarted the phone completely but it keeps happening

Anyone else seeing this or have any idea what's going on?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

This isn't the first thread I've seen with issues regarding the volume since the 4.4.2 update. Hate to see things like this happen and hopefully HTC & the carriers will address this if it is indeed a " global " issue since the update and provide some sort of patch eventually.

losergeek

May 31, 2013
Visit site
On further testing, it seems my volume control is completely useless when streaming media with the browser - I've been completely blasted with maxed out volumes several times and have been unable to lower them - when I open the software volume control to try to fix it, it seems that the volume levels are switched around - the ringer volume sometimes controls the media level, the media level affects the alarms and so on. This is getting really frustrating because I use a lot of different browser based streaming services (grooveshark, bandcamp, etc). If I exit the browser and play something through the regular audio player then I can usually adjust the volume and go back to the browser but this is really annoying. I thought I was having the issue with youtube as well, but I haven't been able to recreate that (maybe I was watching a youtube video in a browser window), but it is affecting both Chrome and the native browser.

The other thing I've noticed which may or may not be related, is that I used to be able to start up audio in either browser and then switch to another app and it would still play in the background, however now as soon as I close the app any streaming audio stops. Again, super annoying considering how I use my phone and maybe if anyone has any idea about what's causing this that it might also shed some light on my volume issues.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Just curious, I just responded to a thread about Tasker controlling volume where the poster was having volume issues after the update to KK at which time I thought it may just be a Tasker issue, but when you say close you mean hit the home button pushing the app to the background not backing out of the app right?

I'll probably go back there and let the poster know that the problem may be bigger than they thought.

losergeek

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, now that you ask that question I realize that the background playing issue is just with Chrome - if I start a track and hit the home button in Chrome it stops playing, however in the native browser it keeps playing. So this is probably unrelated to my volume bugs since that's definitely happening in both browsers and only intermittently.

losergeek

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if this is actually getting worse or if I'm just noticing it more, but this is getting very frustrating and it's crazy to think that I'm the only one noticing it. In my latest experience, when listening to music on the bandcamp site, the hardware buttons got stuck on 'in call' volume, despite the fact that I haven't actually made any calls for days. It stayed this way no matter what I was using (native media player, youtube app, browser media) and even when I unplugged the headphones. I had to reboot the phone to fix it.

Screenshot_2014-02-13-14-03-48.jpg

I've contacted HTC support but of course haven't heard back from them.

mar7hu5

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I'd just like to let you know you're not the only one experiencing these issues. It's because of things like this I'm always skeptical about new software. Everything was working just fine on 4.3.3 and now I am completely unable to listen to anything on bandcamp (bandcamp as far as I noticed). When I open it in Chrome and press play, Beats icon appears, then disappears, appears again, disappears again, music starts playing, volume buttons adjust the ringtone volume instead of music volume, then Beats icon appears again, music stops and from that point all I can do is press play, hear another second or so of song and it stops playing again. However, I haven't experienced any issues of this kind with YouTube (both app and in Chrome), Bandcamp app etc. I really hope this gets fixed soon cause it's just ridiculous.

losergeek

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Now that you mention it - I've also had playback issues with bandcamp in chrome (haven't noticed it in the native browser, but haven't paid as much attention) where it stalls out around 20 seconds in to a song and I need to reload the site. I've also had the beats icon coming on at weird times and flashing off, which is odd since I have beats turned off completely.

I switched to android last june and for the most part had been 50/50 between ios and android but I gotta say with this update (and there's been other bugs, like I can no longer share my pictures directly from the gallery to places like facebook) that opinion has swayed a lot. If apple made a larger phone I'd be all over it right now.

wormdood

Apr 20, 2010
blog.mattkurio.com
Maybe it is an app. I just started having volume issues on 4.3 (AT&T). Volume keys are often not working when listening to podcasts on speaker or Bluetooth and earlier only volume up was working.

losergeek

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Holy hell, now I've had a couple issues where I was listening to bandcamp through the native browser (with headphones) and when I hit the volume button it bypassed the headphones and starting playing through the speaker. This happened while I was at work which is a huge, huge problem for me. I'm getting really frustrated. So angry with Android in general right now after being a reasonably happy convert.

losergeek

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I tried resetting the phone to factory specs last night and the problem still persists. Extremely disappointed right now. Is there any easy way to roll back to jelly bean without any weird hacks? I did a quick google search and the initial results seemed sketchy at best.

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I tried resetting the phone to factory specs last night and the problem still persists. Extremely disappointed right now. Is there any easy way to roll back to jelly bean without any weird hacks? I did a quick google search and the initial results seemed sketchy at best.

I don't have a solution or suggestion about your problem but you can downgrade to any version HTC released. You would need to unlock your bootloader at htcdev.com, root your device (there a few ways of doing this) and then download and run a RUU executable file downloaded from HTC. This file will factory reset your phone and install the Android version contain in that RUU.

XDA-Developers has tons of threads for rooting the One and there you can find links to HTC RUU which are on HTC's own servers or the thread for RUUs will have a link for your exact phone model/carrier.

AshtonVibe

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
It's the new update and a compatibility issue with 4.4.2 and Bandcamp. I have not had a single issue with my volume, either on screen or hard key. To be honest, I have never even heard of the site "bandcamp", until this thread. So, I tried it out, and very first song I experienced lag issues with command vs response with volume. Also, volume did not lower at first.

Afterwards, I tried just about every type of media playback from every corner of my phone, and not a single problem. Before bandcamp=no problem; during bandcamp, on the first try=major problem; after bandcamp=Absolutely normal. Moral of the story? = Don't go to bandcamp after eating a KitKat Bar.

losergeek

May 31, 2013
Visit site
It might be an issue with streaming sites in general, but it's not just bandcamp for me - I have the same behaviours with almost any streaming site - I've tested soundcloud, grooveshark and tried streaming podcasts straight from sites and the volume issues happen for all of these. It's also happening on both Chrome and the native browser for all of these sites.

losergeek

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Also, for the post above, I'd really rather not root my device to roll back the OS but if this isn't addressed soon, I might need to do that since this is having a major affect on the use of my phone.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I have the same small issues. Annoying as hell. 4.4.2 seems to have a lot of little small bugs baked inside. Not sure but I'm sure we will see some patches soon.

losergeek

May 31, 2013
Visit site
So, some more weird developments. For completely unrelated reasons, I was recently trying out other browsers on the phone and decided to check my volume issues. On the Opera browser, no change - same volume bugs as with Chrome and the native Browser, however when I use Firefox everything seems ok - I can't be 100% sure since this was an intermittent issue, but it's been a couple days and I seem to have no issues when streaming stuff within the browser. The weird thing though is that when I'm streaming stuff in Firefox and using another audio app (noteably, the GPS voice navigation in Maps) the audio doesn't automatically pause in Firefox like it doesn't with the other browsers. To me this points to the fact that it must be handling audio in a systematically different way then the other browsers (and also the youtube app, which is still causing issues too).

All of this at least provides me with a slight resolution....except for the fact that I really dislike the firefox browser. It's bloated and clunky and, despite reports to the contrary, seems much slower loading pages to me. I am willing to put up with these things for the time being though.

Godfather64

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. After listening to a Visual Voicemail I cannot get my volume to work properly to listen to music or a podcast or play a game. I can only get sound through the in-call speaker.

Julian Pulliam

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I know where you are coming from. My volume buttons dont work. Only the up one so I must put up and use the adjust bar. After a month the adjist bar would ramdomly appear and just go down (volume down) and I would push up at it would be like a struggle with a bull or pushing a wall. It is also saying bug report calture so I look it up and here I am it is a pain in the *** and sorry i am typing with it in my way now.

xmoondoggx

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Same issue, especially when using bluetooth. Adjusting volume using hardware rocker shows 'IN-CALL' slider on screen, as opposed to Bluetooth or Media slider, and the volume of whatever I am listening to is not adjusted.

HTC One Sprint 4.4.2 Bad Boyz Stock Rooted