Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Denisew 1972
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC One: Emoticons issue

My husband's HTC one just got the latest update and he now has different "smiley" emoticons in his keyboard. His keyboard is stock and he's not rooted. The problem is no one can "see" the smiley he sends. On his end (in text message, again stock) they show up as "generic" once sent, on my end (galaxy s3, not updated past 4.1.2 yet) it's blank. What gives?
    He would like to know where his "Android" smileys went? Thanks in advance for any help with this issue.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: HTC One: Emoticons issue

You have to use the default font until samsung updates to 4.4.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

It's an HTC not Samsung... My phone is Samsung.

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Or do you mean that since my phone isn't 4.4 KK yet... that's why we can't see them? Still makes no sense that they are generic on his end though? So only Kit Kat users can see them? This kinda renders them useless doesn't it?

DWS44 likes this.

i dont use the stock keyboard (i use swiftkey), nor do i use the messages app often often (i use mostly whatsapp) but i understand htc's messages app has lost compatibility with emoticons with the 4.4 upgrade. or is it the stock keyboard?

i don't know, but i do know people have been complaining about it, so its not just your husband's phone.

until someone more knowledgeable who uses these apps often comes along i can at least suggest a temporary fix if emoticons are so important for you to fix immediately:

1. try a new sms app such as textra. its free and it supports emoticons: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...?id=com.textra

2. try a new keyboard. i *think* the problem is with the native messages app but it can't hurt trying if the above does not solve the problem. swiftkey will support emoticons in their next version which is now in beta. don't know about the rest because i don't use them.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks! I will tell him about Textra... silly I know but my OCD needed to find the problem. I think he could care less honestly, that's why I'm posting the issue and not him, LOL. ;-)

Other than the emoticons keyboard, you can try to use some extra emoticons app or emoji app such like this:

CUTE EMOTICONS - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....cuteemoticons
    CUTE EMOJI - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...udio.cuteemoji

It may help you in communication via SMS.
    Thanked by:

I am new to HTC one and here is the deal: I found Textra or Chomp SMS (both are great), download either SMS app, download the emoji app with it. Download KK keyboard and your all set.
    It works from my HTC One to my wife's iPhone flawlessy.
    Thanked by:

Angry Re: HTC One: Emoticons issue

I am having the same problem. My phone updated yesterday and I have all new emoticons but when I text my daughter, she cannot see them. They show up as boxes.

- - - Updated - - -

I am having the same problem. I now have new emoticons but no one can see them

I downloaded the Textra but now i don't see the message that shows me the steps to make it my default SMS

ok...i figured out how to make my default SMS but still no emoticons. Do I really need the KK keyboard too? If so is that exactly what I need to search for in Playstore? I see several things pop up for that search.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia J View Post
    I downloaded the Textra but now i don't see the message that shows me the steps to make it my default SMS