Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By jeverts
  • 2 Post By Troneas
  • 1 Post By cristianocr7
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default why is texting so complicated?

So I have some group text msgs going on with family. I don't get any of the pictures or videos sent. And when it comes to simple texts, my phone will light up, shut down about 2 times. So I check my txt msgs and it says "download" BUT on the individuals txt msg not in the group. So once that downloads it goes nowhere and I get nothing. Then minutes later my group txt msg will get "updated" and I'll recieve the txts and sometimes in an order that makes no sense. I love droid. I love HTC one. But I gotta say I miss the simplicity of my old iPhone when it comes to texting. There is a new dog in he family and I have not been able to receive a single darn photo of her. I'm on Att. Everyone in my family is as well. They are all on iPhones. One more detail. Sometimes after like an hour I'll recieve an entire conversation of txts in like a minute and my phone just goes bat **** crazy vibrating for each individual txt. So frustrated. Other than this I love the phone. OH ONE MORE THING. My dad sent via email some photos ans videos from his iPhone. I download and try to open and the phone says it's incapable of playing such a format. I feel outcasted.

Posted via Android Central App

ROM
    Fission 2.5.7BE

Default Re: why is texting so complicated?

Can't help ya, I'm with Verizon and have no such problems...
    Troneas and ram1220 like this.

in your message app MMS settings, make sure you have auto-retrieve enabled. there is a maximum size to MMS which is 300 KB perhaps the photos or videos your family members are sending are larger or you have it set to the minimum level.

i find the htc message app very capable and rich in features but then again i'm not a heavy user of sms.

try another sms app. textra is very popular perhaps it will solve all your particular problems.

in iOS, if you don't like your sms app you are stuck with it anyway.

as for your video files, check what format they are in.

perhaps you need a video player that supports those formats:

bruteforce037 and ram1220 like this.

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

download "TEXTRA" by far the lightest and most functional texting app available. never gave me any troubles, and it supports video, gifs, pics, group messaging with iphones, and delivery reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Barr View Post
    So..... I miss the simplicity of my old iPhone when it comes to texting. ......
    I suspect another case of the iMessage screw-up. If you were previously using an iPhone with iMessage, and didn't turn off iMessage and send out a few texts through the SMS system before switching phones, the iMessage system "thinks" your number is still associated with an iPhone and is still sending messages in an iMessage compatible format which your HTC can't receive. I just recently went through that iMessage hell when my wife switched from an iPhone to the HTC One Mini. In a Google search, I found a thread where a poster claimed, and a second poster verified it worked, that if you go to your Apple ID and change your password, somehow that triggers the iMessage system to forget you have an iPhone. I tried it and it seemed to work after 24 hours. Otherwise, you have to call tech support at Apple and get them to take your number out of the iMessage system. Why these Apple iDiots don't have a website that will allow you to do it yourself is beyond me.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thankfully I did fix that issue as I had a long time ago when I first got my HTC one. I just got textra. So far it hasn't been put to the test but we will see. My brother replied to a txt from my dad in our group msg and I never recieved my dads txt. That's it's first strike I guess.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

How do I stop my stock msg app from receiving txts? I'm now recieving txts via textra and my msg app. I like textra but it's a little odd having a copy of everything.

With Go SMS it has an option to disable the stock message app, if Textra has no option like this you will have to do something manually.

You can go into your stock messaging app and turn off notifications, just turn them all off, incoming outgoing message received. Or you can go into Settings>Apps>All scroll to the messaging app and disable it. You may have to uninstall an update first to get the option to disable.
    Sent from my HTCOX Fōn.

Make textra the default messaging app.

No Issues here with Verizon. I use Textra now and its my default. Perfection!
    Troneas likes this.

Is your mobile data off? Group messages are considered media messages and therefore need a mobile data connection to download or recieve