Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PreCiiSiioN
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default "Searching for GPS..."

I'm currently on my fourth HTC One replacement. First one was my fault.. The second and third had speaker issues. All were replaced with insurance. This one is having a problem though, and I feel like it could be a software issue instead of hardware. I use my phone as a GPS daily for my job, and just today it is unable to locate the satellites for the GPS function. I've tried to find other threads/posts on this issue.. and haven't found any that quite fit my discription. Currently, I am unwilling to root my phone. Does anyone have any type of solution for my problem? I actually took it into the Verizon store, and of course after the sales rep fiddled with it, my phone randomly decided to connect to the satellites. Everything else works great. I have downloaded other GPS maps, and all of them have the same issue. Thanks!

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: "Searching for GPS..."

if the reps got it to work, they work.

sometimes its not just about software or hardware (which in this case its clear its none of these), there are external issues that might be affecting it.

are you having good signal strength? are you connected to the wifi? is your location mode set to "high accuracy"? is it cloudy and/or raining? are you in a basement or an elevator?

you sound like a very demanding customer but i can assure you rooting will not "solve" this inconvenience you are experiencing.

edit: of course, you can always purchase a stronger GPS device if it is very important for your job. its a smartphone after all - so yes, there are other GPS devices with special hardware that will be more accurate or receive weaker signals too.
    Last edited by Troneas; 02-10-2014 at 05:37 PM.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I don't feel that I am a "demanding customer." I consider myself as someone that is expecting what I paid for to have basic functions that actually work. The second and third HTC One that I had both had speaker issues, so I asked for replacements. I don't find that demanding at all.

Today has been fairly overcast, but that has never stopped my phone from connecting to satellites.

While waiting on a reply, I was messing around with my phone and I was actually able to have it find my exact location. I had it search for a specific address to give me directions to, and it did. Every time it does this, if I start driving, it bugs out and puts my location on a completely different street nearly a mile away. If it comes down to it, I'll purchase an actual GPS.

I am very disappointed with my experience with the HTC One. It's by far my favorite android phone, and I would suggest it to anyone. For some reason, though, my luck isn't so great. Thanks for the quick reply, it's very much appreciated.

how's your signal strength when you lose connection?

it can happen with any phone not just the htc one.

and yes actual GPS devices are not optimised for battery and what not. you have to make some compromises on a phone its not its *main* feature.

but if you got it going now its working. the phone uses a variety of sources to get your location including cellular towers and wifi signals. if these are weak it won't work as you'd expect.

as far as i know, it doesn't even connect to satellites like a proper GPS device might. if you are out in the desert with no cellular signal and wifi i don't think you'll be able to use your GPS though i've never tried it myself.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I don't believe I actually lose connection. This is occurring at all signal strengths. When I have Google Maps running in the background, if I pull down the notification bar at the top and look at the status of Maps, it says "Searching for satellites.." This happens even if I am able to find my location.

I haven't had any type of problem like this until today, the weather is no different than it has been. I've stepped outside of my work vehicle multiple times to try to get better connection. I have even done the figure eight motion that apparently helps, and no luck.

Lol I'm definitely not going to give up on this phone, I just hate the luck that I'm having with it.

I did go snowboarding yesterday with my phone in my inside chest pocket, and didn't fall on it at all. The temperature was around 15℉. Would cold weather affect/weaken the GPS functionality at all?

is the mode set to "high accuracy"?

check you phone settings > location.

if it does indeed connect to satellites, cold weather would not affect it. only clouds and rain.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I actually don't have the option for that under my settings. I just saw online that there is an update as of yesterday, I'll see if it's available to me and get back to you.

hmm you should have it... but ya try updating first.

this is what you are looking for:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Searching for GPS..."-2014-02-11-00.18.30.jpg  

Global Posts
    1,502 Global Posts
    ROM
    HTC One stock

Quote Originally Posted by Troneas View Post
    hmm you should have it... but ya try updating first.

this is what you are looking for:
    This option was not available until kit kat for vzw. So the op needs to update and try again

Posted via Android Central App nexus 7
    Blackberry Curve 8330 - Blackberry Storm 2 9550 - iPod Touch 4th gen - Apple Iphone 4 - Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX HD Motorola RAZR HD (wife) - HTC One
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Finally got the update to work, my phone for some reason didn't automatically download kitkat. Issue was resolved. Thanks for the help guys!

Troneas likes this.

FYI, i use GPS Status and Toolbox..
    Its a great app for checking info related to GPS.
    Been using it for over a year on different devices. Next time you are having that issue with GPS, launch the app and see what satellites and signal strengths you get..