Back-up via Dropbox: What is backed up?

dxb114

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
What does it mean by accounts? All of the accounts listed under "Accounts & sync" or other accounts? It doesn't seem to back-up contacts, any good solution for that besides Google? Thanks.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Whatever you select to back up, I used to keep work files in it so I have quick access via my cell when WiFi is not available.

Posted via HTC One Android Central App

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
ya by accounts it means the accounts listed on "accounts & sync".

and yes if you use your htc account instead of google it will sync more stuff - including contacts.

bbinder

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I used dropbox in the past for the HTC backup service and then couldn't get any data restored as it showed nothing was available even though I could see it all in dropbox. Didn't work any better using the HTC service either. Just offering, if that's where you're going with this question. I always use something 3rd-party-ish in nature like Helium instead.

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I used dropbox in the past for the HTC backup service and then couldn't get any data restored as it showed nothing was available even though I could see it all in dropbox. Didn't work any better using the HTC service either. Just offering, if that's where you're going with this question. I always use something 3rd-party-ish in nature like Helium instead.

you didnt get this screen?:

Attachments

• 2014-02-13 16.24.27.jpg
    2014-02-13 16.24.27.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 44

bbinder

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Yes I got that screen. Was linked correctly with my HTC account. I use the HTC account because it backs up more. I would get notification that the job would complete, but then when I would want to restore, it would show that screen and say the backup was from 1 day ago. I'd hit next and there would be no backups to choose from. So...I stopped using HTC Backup - switched over to using Dropbox...the backups would run, and to this day I can see the files it puts in there with the right time and date stamp...and then when I choose to restore, it doesn't give me any backups to restore. I always keep 2-3 backups, running simultaneous apps at different schedules and then backup to the cloud like Dropbox, or box, or Google Drive. Those always work when I need to restore. Unfortunately, HTC Backup has never worked for me. Not a deal-breaker - but I will say that if your data is important then just make sure you're testing out those restore operations. Really sucks when people think their devices are backing up because it says it backs up...but then they try to restore and they're out of luck. Maybe there's some workaround for what I've experienced, but I know when I use 3rd-party apps like Helium (it has never failed me - rooted or not) I never run in to issues with not being able to restore as expected.

dxb114

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks bbinder, I'm glad you posted. I'm going to look into an alternative back-up option because I would be devastated to lose all my data. I was relying on the HTC service.

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I did two or three restores when running 4.2.2 and 4.3 and they worked quite well. After upgrading to 4.4.0 the scheduled backups didn't work but now that I'm on 4.4.2 they are working again. I haven't had the need to restore them but I keep a backup on Google Drive and Dropbox by changing the location from time to time.

Having this feature is neat, but if doesn't work I will disable it altogether. My photos are being synched to Dropbox and my call logs and SMS to the same place using Ease Backup which work quite nice and I got it for free. Things like contacts, tasks and calendar are on my Microsoft account. Music is on my computer and I can transfer it again.

I plan to reset my phone by the end of the month. I will see if my backups can be restore or not. If someone on 4.4.2 sees that restoring works, let us know.

bbinder

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I did two or three restores when running 4.2.2 and 4.3 and they worked quite well. After upgrading to 4.4.0 the scheduled backups didn't work but now that I'm on 4.4.2 they are working again. I haven't had the need to restore them but I keep a backup on Google Drive and Dropbox by changing the location from time to time.

Having this feature is neat, but if doesn't work I will disable it altogether. My photos are being synched to Dropbox and my call logs and SMS to the same place using Ease Backup which work quite nice and I got it for free. Things like contacts, tasks and calendar are on my Microsoft account. Music is on my computer and I can transfer it again.

I plan to reset my phone by the end of the month. I will see if my backups can be restore or not. If someone on 4.4.2 sees that restoring works, let us know.

I'm on 4.4.2 - doesn't work for me. Can't actually name a time when it ever worked from a restore standpoint. Always backs up - never lists anything for restore.

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm on 4.4.2 - doesn't work for me. Can't actually name a time when it ever worked from a restore standpoint. Always backs up - never lists anything for restore.

With Google Drive as destination it is working for me. Here's a screenshot that shows the Select cloud backup option. Drop box still gets me the authorization error every time the backup runs automatically.

a7u7y8ez.jpg

I haven't tried to actually make a restore but the schedule backups runs fine and they didn't on 4.4.0 on my phone.

bbinder

May 31, 2013
Visit site
With Google Drive as destination it is working for me. Here's a screenshot that shows the Select cloud backup option. Drop box still gets me the authorization error every time the backup runs automatically.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/15/a7u7y8ez.jpg

I haven't tried to actually make a restore but the schedule backups runs fine and they didn't on 4.4.0 on my phone.

I got to your screen, no problem. Still doesn't restore. I certainly wouldn't be afraid to try it. Nothing worse than the feeling that you get when you NEED to restore something and you can't - even though you thought it was working fine all along. I test my backups ALL the time to ensure they're working as I expect them to. But, my data is valuable to me so that's why I do what I do.

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
yep, mine won't connect to dropbox after that screen.

i've disabled it. hope it gets fixed for sense 6 or in the playstore. i downloaded the latest version from there but its still broken.

i'm not a fan of downloading third party apps to do something that is meant to work natively.

bbinder

May 31, 2013
Visit site
To each their own. For me, not having reliable backups on any device I own is not an option. Phone apps can do many things natively, but not necessarily better than vendors who exclusively add capabilities that native apps never will. Plus, they also have time saving features that native apps certainly don't have.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
After the update of HTC Backup from Google Play I tried to use Dropbox and it seems the problem was fixed.
At least the auto-backup.
Anyone else?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol