Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC One: Getting a refurbished phone?

What are the pros and cons of getting a refurbished phone from TMobile? I'm trying to decide whether I should get the $50 refurbished phone from TMo or just spending $175 on insurance for a brand new one.

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-01-2014 at 06:25 PM.

Default Re: Getting a refurbished phone?

Getting a refurbished phone is almost like getting a new one. They give you a Certified Like-New device, meaning it has been used but has no defects.

To elaborate on what Ngster said. It can be a phone that has been used and returned under the 15 day test period. They cant sell it as new so its a used device from then on. These make great "refurbished" stock items for carriers.
    But basically a refurb is a used device that if cosmetically perfect and has no actual problems can be sold again. It can also be a damaged device that was re-built then tested to meet manufacturer specs. Unfortunately they dont tell you who refurbished it or who certified it.
    For example, Was it HTC / manufacturer who refurbished it or a 3rd part representing T-Mobile? Im usually OK with Manufacturer refurb equipment. But look at companies like Asurion. I hear stories all the time of how their refurbished devices fail or have problems. Thats because Asurion has their own techs and they refurb their own stuff and might use different standards then the manufacturer.

Global Posts
    397 Global Posts

My HTC One is a refurbished device from T-Mobile. (Meaning that's my carrier, not necessarily who refurb'ed it). And I have had absolutely 0 issues with it. I've had it since November.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Default Re: HTC One: Getting a refurbished phone?

I know what refurbished is, I'm just trying to decide whether I should give TMo $50 for a device swap or I should give Asurion $175 for a brand new phone

The way phones are now days and people changing and upgrading so often. I would just get a refurbished one. Save the money get the same phone...you won't have it another year probably.

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Global Posts
    1,508 Global Posts
    ROM
    HTC One stock

Quote Originally Posted by BitchImFatJesus View Post
    I know what refurbished is, I'm just trying to decide whether I should give TMo $50 for a device swap or I should give Asurion $175 for a brand new phone

With insurance they aren't always new devices.

Posted via Android Central App nexus 7
    Blackberry Curve 8330 - Blackberry Storm 2 9550 - iPod Touch 4th gen - Apple Iphone 4 - Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX HD Motorola RAZR HD (wife) - HTC One
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Topgonzo View Post
    The way phones are now days and people changing and upgrading so often. I would just get a refurbished one. Save the money get the same phone...you won't have it another year probably.

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    I have an HTC One and I plan on keeping it for one more year or so. Pretty solid phone

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Nothing wrong with a refurb. Its a new condition device thats been inspected and repaired of any flaws.
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Ambassador

I have one thru Verizon. No issues, never had issues with refurb going back to my blackberry days.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk