HTC One: TERRIBLE battery drain - worse after KitKat

reptar fingers

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
I got my One in November and I've had battery issues from the start. I exchanged it for another one within the first two weeks and the one I have now is just as bad. I've done everything I could think of the past four months to make it better but nothing has helped. After the kitkat update, it has gotten much worse and the phone gets hot just about every time I'm out of range of my wifi networks.
I love this phone, but we're talking 30%-40% drain in about two hours and mid-day charge on top of an overnight charge. The drain is even worse over 4G.
I am a heavy phone user and the battery does not drain nearly as bad when it's idle, but it still has a heavy drain for idle. I let it fully die once a week and keep my hands away from it while it's charging. I've reset everything, downloaded apps to detect running apps, bugs and everything else. I delete apps I don't use, turn of wifi when I'm on 4G and just about everything else I've read in forum after forum with the same results. Nothing is fixing this problem.
I recently switched to Android from iPhone, so I'm somewhat lost when I start digging through my phone looking for stuff that doesn't need to be turned on or stuff that is running.
Any ideas, suggestions, advice would be helpful.
If you do have suggestions for changing settings, please speak to me like a Kindergartener, I'm seriously lost in 75% of the custom settings.

Last edited by a moderator:

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: htc One TERRIBLE battery drain - worse after kitkat

I have better battery life after kit Kat then I did when I was on jelly bean I did my battery life did tank for the first week but then I got a whole lot better. I also did I disable beats music and II iris wallet.

Posted via Android Central App

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

I have better battery life after kit Kat then I did when I was on jelly bean I did my battery life did tank for the first week but then I got a whole lot better. I also did I disable beats music and II iris wallet.

The battery life is actually worse on many HTC One phones since kitkat. If memory serves right, a few sources said that's why they delayed the update for a bulk of users in the UK.

Jason Stroud1

May 20, 2013
Visit site

I got my One in November and I've had battery issues from the start. I exchanged it for another one within the first two weeks and the one I have now is just as bad. I've done everything I could think of the past four months to make it better but nothing has helped. After the kitkat update, it has gotten much worse and the phone gets hot just about every time I'm out of range of my wifi networks.
I love this phone, but we're talking 30%-40% drain in about two hours and mid-day charge on top of an overnight charge. The drain is even worse over 4G.
I am a heavy phone user and the battery does not drain nearly as bad when it's idle, but it still has a heavy drain for idle. I let it fully die once a week and keep my hands away from it while it's charging. I've reset everything, downloaded apps to detect running apps, bugs and everything else. I delete apps I don't use, turn of wifi when I'm on 4G and just about everything else I've read in forum after forum with the same results. Nothing is fixing this problem.
I recently switched to Android from iPhone, so I'm somewhat lost when I start digging through my phone looking for stuff that doesn't need to be turned on or stuff that is running.
If you do have suggestions for changing settings, please speak to me like a Kindergartener, I'm seriously lost in 75% of the custom settings.

I was instructed by HTC to do a battery calibration. The process involves charging the phone for at least ten minutes, then powering it off making sure fastboot is unchecked and then hold power, volume up, and volume down for two minutes straight.. it will reboot several times. Seemed to help some. They also said to not let the phone get below 10% on a regular basis or keep it plugged in when its full to prevent battery damage. And if that doesn't work you have to try a factory reset and then if that doesn't work contact HTC

Jason Stroud1

May 20, 2013
Visit site

Also 30-40% drain in two hours would be normal if its all screen on time so please specify how much of that is idle and how much is screen on

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site

The battery life is actually worse on many HTC One phones since kitkat. If memory serves right, a few sources said that's why they delayed the update for a bulk of users in the UK.

it was bad for about a week and now I get about two times what got I would get about 16 hours with heavy uses and I now get about 20 hours Nd that the S when I get 15%. so give it to e that us what I did.

alfredcwl

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site

I have a HTC desire 601 and suffered battery drain after the update too. I did some research on the net and tried a few things but nothing worked. The problem went away after I took out the battery and restarted the phone. Weird.

MONDINGO

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

My battery life tanked after the kitkat update. I was losing 30%in 2 hours barely use his the phone. So I decided to do a factory reset anyway. And now my battery lasts me almost 1 1/2 days. For some reason it lasts longer with battery saver off too. Not sure why..

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

Tim98TA

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I am not a heavy phone user at all. My phone beeps at the 14% left at about 12-13 hours depending on usage. I got better than that with my HTC LTE. The HTC One is supposed to have about double the battery life. NOT!!!!!!!!!

jjmorgan79

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
****THIS TOTALLY SOLVED MY BATTERY ISSUES****

Hi All

Dont know if youve sorted out your battery issues. I had them too. Phone always lasted a full day (c.16hrs) with about 10-15% spare. Suddenly found it totally dying by about 3pm every day. Tried a few things that didnt work but then came across the post below on a Verizon forum and it totally soved my problem - battery now even better than before, without changing any other sync, wifi, etc settings. Hope it works for you too....

"got an email from HTC support, which I will copy. so far, my battery is back to normal.

I totally understand your concern on this matter with the battery drainage of the phone, and I will be more than glad to assist you.

I ask you to please go to All apps > Settings > Battery or Power, and disable Fast boot. Then, please go to All apps > Settings > Developer options, and enable USB debugging. After doing this, please perform a Cache reset. This process will delete unwanted and temporary files from your phone. It will not mess up your personal files. Just follow the instructions on the attached file.

COPY OF ATTACHED FILE:

Power the phone off.
Press and hold the Volume Down button and then while still holding the Volume down, press the Power button as well.
You will get a menu giving you options such as: Fastboot, Recovery, Clear Storage, and SIMlock
Navigate to ?Recovery? using volume buttons, then press power to select.

The screen will change to display a phone on its back, with the update symbol above it. Momentarily it will change to an image of a phone with a red triangle and exclamation mark.

Press and hold volume up then press the power button for about 3seconds. You will see something very similar to the example shown below.

e:can?t open /cache/recovery/command
e:/ failed to mount /sdcard (no such file or directory exists)
A new screen will give you options like Reboot system now, Wipe Cache partition, and Wipe Data/Factory Reset.

Navigate to ?Wipe Cache? the volume down button and select with Power.

Navigate to ?Reboot Phone? with the volume buttons and select with power.

HOPE THIS HELPS ALL Y'ALL (as we say in SC)"

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
My battery is at 70-80% after 9 hours but I'm a light user. One thing about this phone I noticed is when I check what's using the battery the item "screen use" isn't there, it's all about App usage. Which is weird because we all know the screen uses a lot of battery. I did do the cache wipe think suggested about thanks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie