Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By petaf
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default HTC One: Severely upset over 4.4.2 update

    Hey guys, Just today i noticed the 4.4.2 update available so figured what the hell. I installed the update but noticed the battery percentage 'jumping' , for example, it jumped from 52% to 47% with barely any usage so i turned the phone off and back on and it then read 32% and stayed at 32% despite over 30 minutes use so i again turned the phone off and back on to find it was now at 21%

    Finally i gave in and did a factory reset ( i have read that should fix the issue) So i back up my contacts (thats all i was worried about really) I copied them to my gmail account, I was pretty sure they were already synced before but did so again anyway.

    Anyways.. to cut a long story short. I have not only somehow lost my contacts but the battery is no better, I just fully charged it, unplugged it and within seconds its 89% let alone i cannot understand what happened to my contacts, I have signed into my gmail account on my computer and theres nothing there regarding contact info

    Words cannot describe how much this sucks!! Bloody phone was fine before today

    Oh and the phone is not rooted incase anyone was going to ask
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-21-2014 at 08:44 AM.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Severely pissed off over 4.4.2 update

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Molloy View Post
    Hey guys, Just today i noticed the 4.4.2 update available so figured what the hell. I installed the update but noticed the battery percentage 'jumping' , for example, it jumped from 52% to 47% with barely any usage so i turned the phone off and back on and it then read 32% and stayed at 32% despite over 30 minutes use so i again turned the phone off and back on to find it was now at 21%

    Finally i gave in and did a factory reset ( i have read that should fix the issue) So i back up my contacts (thats all i was worried about really) I copied them to my gmail account, I was pretty sure they were already synced before but did so again anyway.

    Anyways.. to cut a long story short. I have not only somehow lost my contacts but the battery is no better, I just fully charged it, unplugged it and within seconds its 89% let alone i cannot understand what happened to my contacts, I have signed into my gmail account on my computer and theres nothing there regarding contact info

    Words cannot describe how much this sucks!! Bloody phone was fine before today

    Oh and the phone is not rooted incase anyone was going to ask
    I don't know if this will solve your problem in any way but I have noticed that not all of my contacts that I backed up through gmail came back onto my device. BUT when i make a new text message and start to type a name it lists some of the names I had backed up that were not showing up in my phone book. Hope the same happens for you so you still have at least some of your contacts!
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Severely pissed off over 4.4.2 update

    I also use GMail Contacts for my primary contact database. On the HTC One, access the Phonebook either through the Dialer or the Contacts app. There is a pull down menu on the upper left (Phonebook). On the pull down menu you'll see all the possible sources of contact information - SIM card, Phone Memory, Google account, other accounts that it knows about. Click on each one you want the Phonebook to access when presenting contacts. Then under the Phonebook listing on the upper left it will read "Multiple Sources". Good luck and hope that helps.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Severely pissed off over 4.4.2 update

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Molloy View Post
    Hey guys, Just today i noticed the 4.4.2 update available so figured what the hell. I installed the update but noticed the battery percentage 'jumping' , for example, it jumped from 52% to 47% with barely any usage so i turned the phone off and back on and it then read 32% and stayed at 32% despite over 30 minutes use so i again turned the phone off and back on to find it was now at 21%

    Oh and the phone is not rooted incase anyone was going to ask
    I updated. No problems here! I recommend

    Posted via Android Central App
  5. #5  
    ahaxton's Avatar

    Posts
    116 Posts
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts

    Default Re: Severely pissed off over 4.4.2 update

    Turn off your Sprint Connection Optimizer and see if that helps.
    Settings-Mobile Data-Automatic Connections
  6. #6  
    petaf's Avatar

    Posts
    337 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,029 Global Posts

    Default Re: Severely pissed off over 4.4.2 update

    In my experience the android os typically takes a while to calm down and stabilize after updates. I've learned to just give it a few hours and be patient.
    srkmagnus and msndrstood like this.
  7. #7  
    n8ter#AC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    963 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,393 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

    Default Re: Severely pissed off over 4.4.2 update

    I believe there is a camera bug in Android 4.4.2 that may not be patched in most OEM devices, so that may be the cause of the battery issues for some people. This bug seems pretty prevalent across all OEM models. Supposedly Google has fixed it, but not sure if it has rolled out to any OEM devices yet.

    Confirmation?

    This may be the reason why carriers like AT&T and Verizon are holding off on some updates for popular devices right now (like the Galaxy Note 3).
  8. #8  
    n8ter#AC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    963 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,393 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

    Default Re: Severely pissed off over 4.4.2 update

    Quote Originally Posted by petaf View Post
    In my experience the android os typically takes a while to calm down and stabilize after updates. I've learned to just give it a few hours and be patient.
    But there really is no such thing as letting an update "settle."

    Doesn't work that way for Linux, Windows, OSX, iOS, Windows Phone, Blackberry... or Android.

    If the phone is having issues after a FW update, then Factory Reset it so that it runs fine. 99.8% of the time that fixes all issues. I tend to do one after every major FW update (anything over ~50MB or has a decent change log) and have never encountered any issues after an update (FCing apps, battery drain, Lag/Stutters, etc.).

    I always recommend people do that, if possible.

    I rather just set up the phone again and move on then spend the next week trying to troubleshoot issues.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Severely pissed off over 4.4.2 update

    You should have come here before resetting your phone. There are numerous threads about people freaking out over battery life right after the upgrade. It's always the same after any major OS update: give it a few days and then see. 90% of the time it will level out and usually be better than before. 10% of the time for whatever reason it requires a factory reset to straighten out battery life.

    That said, it can't be undone. But Android stores contacts in various places, but the people app in Sense unifies them for you. Not all contacts are associated with Gmail. In the future if you need to reset the phone, or are replacing the phone, you should export the contacts from the people app. This will create a CSV file that can be backed up and later imported to almost any application such as Excel.

    Once you have that CSV file, you can import it into your Google Contacts and all of the contacts will be safe there.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Severely pissed off over 4.4.2 update

    Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    But there really is no such thing as letting an update "settle."

    Doesn't work that way for Linux, Windows, OSX, iOS, Windows Phone, Blackberry... or Android.
    Sure there is. Android doesn't task manage like any other OS. Android places processes in and out of memory based on individual usage. This is why they pretty much crippled task managers a long time ago. After a factory reset, it reverts to a "default" state and will keep processes running that you might not use. Over time it learns this and will cull those processes down to the ones you actually use.

    So instead of starting and stopping unused background processes wasting battery, it learns not to.
    Thanked by:
    petaf 
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Severely pissed off over 4.4.2 update

    FYI, you need to re-calibrate your battery. Based on what you said in the opening post your battery has simply become out of calibration..
    Thats why it can drop to 32% and stay there for 30 minutes.

    There are numerous posts ive mentioned it in but ill save you the searching.

    Use your phone until the battery dies and the device shuts off.
    Leave it off, Plug in your charger. Leave it off while its charging. Once its green, leave the charger plugged in and turn it on.. It will continue to charge, leave it charging another 20 minutes or so.
    Now you can unplug it.. Its been re-calibrated now.

Similar Threads

  1. HTC One Software Update 4.06.651.9 03/19/2014
    By ShipWreck in forum Sprint HTC One
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-30-2014, 07:02 PM
  2. Block OTA updates on Note 10.1 (2014 edition)???
    By Batman8888 in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-25-2014, 06:08 AM
  3. Nexus 5: Google Updates
    By RionDunn in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-22-2014, 01:16 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-20-2014, 09:06 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-19-2014, 12:42 PM

Posting Permissions