Please help me with my HTC One speaker/microphone problem!

Marvin-13

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Ok so when I record videos on my phone, it only records from one microphone and when I play the videos I can only hear the sounds coming from the top speaker. I have tried recording things with the voice recorder and it works perfectly fine and plays back with both speakers so I am guessing/hoping the microphones are not the problem.

This doesn't seem like that big of a deal BUT, it also causes problems when I talk on the phone. When I put my phone on speaker phone I can hear the other person but they can't hear a single thing on their side. With speaker phone off it works fine but with it on it doesn't work at all. I don't have bluetooth in my car and sometimes when I receive calls while driving I put the phone on speaker because I don't use the phone while driving. This is not the only place I use speaker phone but it is definitely the most important.

I sent in my phone for repair of the camera a couple months back and when I got it back I updated it to kitkat only a few days later so I'm not sure if this problem is from the repair or from the 4.4.2 update, but I just updated to the newest software available from Sprint on March 19 for "stability improvements" or whatever, but the problem is still there.

Does anyone else have this problem or know what is going on or what I can do to fix it? Or does anyone know how I can downgrade the software back to 4.3 jellybean to see if the problem is still there? Also, I just heard today about a problem with Google Chrome that affects the speaker phone but I have the latest version of Chrome and don't know what other apps could be affecting the speaker. I am just confused because it records voice notes perfectly fine.

Thank you very much for any and all help!!

Marvin-13

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'm the only one with this problem then :( . Does anyone know how to downgrade the software at least? Or anything I can try without doing a factory reset?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Don't think you can downgrade firmware, so going back to 4.3 is not an option.
Very weird issue, not sure why it's only happens in certain situations. I'd recommend trying a factory reset as I can't think of a solution, and I don't think wiping the cache partition in recovery will do anything for you.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Marvin-13

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Don't think you can downgrade firmware, so going back to 4.3 is not an option.
Very weird issue, not sure why it's only happens in certain situations. I'd recommend trying a factory reset as I can't think of a solution, and I don't think wiping the cache partition in recovery will do anything for you.

I reached out to HTC through email a few days ago and haven't heard back so I spent the last hour and a half backing up everything and doing a factory reset and the problem is still there! One thing I noticed though was that it is only on the stock phone and camera apps that this happens. I have tried taking videos on snapchat and camera mx and it works perfectly fine. I don't know what else to do...

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I reached out to HTC through email a few days ago and haven't heard back so I spent the last hour and a half backing up everything and doing a factory reset and the problem is still there! One thing I noticed though was that it is only on the stock phone and camera apps that this happens. I have tried taking videos on snapchat and camera mx and it works perfectly fine. I don't know what else to do...

Sorry for the late reply. It's likely a hardware issue then...I'd recommend sending it back to HTC, but I'm not sure if they'll return it full functioning seeing as this happened last time.

sea_of_fate

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I think I have the same issue with my HTC One (M7). I only noticed it when someone else brought it to my attention. For this reason I doubt HTC is aware. I have the latest official updates, and I am on Sprint.

To reproduce the issue:
Reboot phone.
Take a video, and say "This is video 1". End video.
Immediately take another video and say "This is video 2". End video.
Plug in headphones or earbuds which have two channels (Note: phone speakers will not work as they will output dual mono).
Listen to both videos.
The first one will be stereo, the second will be left-channel only.

If you can't reproduce this issue, then you likely have a different (hardware) issue. Mine is definitely a software issue, as recording in stereo works the first time. I have found a lot of people with the issue but no solutions. The only other relevant thread I have found is here. It seems it may be possible to fix by rooting and changing some code, but I would rather not. Any ideas?

Benny218

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Finally someone else with the same problem!! I love to use this phone for recording gigs because the mics are so good - the shows i go to are so loud yet it always seems to pick out the sound spot on without distortion, but over the last few months it's not been possible. i usually record the whole show, so around 90min videos usually. Along with the 'purple hue' problem i also have this annoying audio problem! Videos are just useless after. Like you, all other apps that use the mics are fine but when it comes to recording videos? Forget it. It's now useless visually and audio(ly). Do you have the purple hue issue? It seems to get worse as the phone heats up.

Cheers

Benny218

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
A temporary fix:
After you take your first video that will be in stereo, exit camera app, and open Google now. Just click the Google voice button. Doesn't matter if you say anything. Now go back to camera app and take 2nd video. The second video will now be in stereo without having to reboot phone!

After taking 2nd video - go back to Google now and open Google voice again. Again doesn't matter if you say anything. Go back to camera app and take 3rd video - it will be in stereo.

So for some reason Google voice resets whatever gets broke by the camera app for the 2nd microphone.

Fishergeezer

May 17, 2014
Visit site
I had the update thru for the Heart bleed bug. So I installed it and now my mic does not work in calls unless load speaker is used. Whilst I have seen others with this issue what I have also noted is using any voice recording a recording of say 7 seconds, replays in 2 and is supper fast. This also applies to video. The only app I had for audio recording was Smart Voice recorder which has been great for nearly 2 years. I uninstalled that but no changed. It seem video and Audio have been speeded up on replay. Has anyone else had this? Is there a setting to calibrate? Trying to speak super slow whilst stupid has no affect either. To be honest, fed up with this phone. Had two, one for son, one for me. Sons we got rid of, this whilst in really good condition will get the hammer in 6 weeks. Do not want anyone else to suffer with this rubbish.

gba64

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Also having problems with mic not working for normal voice calls. If I turn on speaker than everything is fine. Not positive but believe the issue was introduced around the time of one of the Kit Kat updates on AT&T.

grumpygramps1

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Just saw this thread after I posted one a few minutes ago. My microphone is also cutting in and out during calls, its driving me crazy, and I've been having to use my work phone (a old flip phone). As other have stated, when I use the speaker phone it works fine, and when I use my push to talk app Zello it works fine. During a chat session with HTC yesterday they had me perform a partition reset and then a factory reset to no avail. The rep stated that it must be a hardware issue and I would need to send the phone in for repair. The phone is 13 months old and out of warranty by 4 or 5 weeks. Ridiculous. I literally have babied this phone since purchasing it and am not rough on it by no means. If it matters I'm on Sprint.

grumpygramps1

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Quick update, I sent mine into HTC for the repair. They wanted $90 to repair it. After an escalation dispute over the price they dropped the repair to $58. I argued that while the phone is indeed out of warranty (5 or 6 weeks) the most basic function of the phone should not be broke. Anyhow I'm supposed to have it back by the end of the week.

grumpygramps1

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Well after two weeks, due the to the 4th of July holiday, I got my phone back. HTC repaired my phone for $58. All seems to be working fine. I was expecting some sort of repair order with my phone showing what had been repaired but nothing came back with it. For me it was worth it, as the phone is barely over a year old.

TexanSaint

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
My mic 1 went dead this week. I ran the test above to confirm it. No one can hear my voice calls unless I turn on speakerphone. I am out of warranty by two months. The best the htc rep would offer was free shipping. I called the local at&t and was told to take it in personally to the repair center in Houston to let them diagnose it. (i'm only about 30 minutes away) I agree that after one 14 months tender loving care, my phone should at least allow me to make phone calls.

LilBrownBuddy

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
My daughters HTC One M7 's microphone stooped working. She could only make phone calls through the speaker phone. I took a can of compressed air and blew out the speaker at the bottom of the phone , it is a little pinhole . Also blew out the microphone located right of the camera lens , another pinhole. Hope this helps you guys out, it worked for me.:cool:

Dlew419

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same problem. I did the audio diagnostic test that someone else posted and my "Speaker 2" failed. unfortunately, there was no fix that popped up, but my phone works great unless i am in speakerphone, then the person on the other end can't hear me. Let me know if anyone has fixed this without sending the phone back or exchanging it.

zeebabxiee

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Ok so when I record videos on my phone, it only records from one microphone and when I play the videos I can only hear the sounds coming from the top speaker. I have tried recording things with the voice recorder and it works perfectly fine and plays back with both speakers so I am guessing/hoping the microphones are not the problem.

This doesn't seem like that big of a deal BUT, it also causes problems when I talk on the phone. When I put my phone on speaker phone I can hear the other person but they can't hear a single thing on their side. With speaker phone off it works fine but with it on it doesn't work at all. I don't have bluetooth in my car and sometimes when I receive calls while driving I put the phone on speaker because I don't use the phone while driving. This is not the only place I use speaker phone but it is definitely the most important.

I sent in my phone for repair of the camera a couple months back and when I got it back I updated it to kitkat only a few days later so I'm not sure if this problem is from the repair or from the 4.4.2 update, but I just updated to the newest software available from Sprint on March 19 for "stability improvements" or whatever, but the problem is still there.

Does anyone else have this problem or know what is going on or what I can do to fix it? Or does anyone know how I can downgrade the software back to 4.3 jellybean to see if the problem is still there? Also, I just heard today about a problem with Google Chrome that affects the speaker phone but I have the latest version of Chrome and don't know what other apps could be affecting the speaker. I am just confused because it records voice notes perfectly fine.

Thank you very much for any and all help!!