Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Riskware androidhtcsync1.apk?

So I updated my HTC Sync Manager on my PC and connected my HTC One. Thing is, after the update, I connected my phone and a certain "AndroidHtcSync1.apk" was detected by Lookout (the antivirus on my phone) and labeled it as riskware. I clicked "Ignore file" thinking that it was some sort of new stuff that came with the updated HTC Sync Manager on my PC. But now that I think about it, was it a riskware? Has anyone gotten the same thing?

Global Posts
    7,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: Riskware androidhtcsync1.apk?

According to Joe Sandbox Mobile it can be bad: Joe Sandbox Mobile - Analysis Report 10196
    However ForeSafe Sandbox Report says it is safe: ForeSafe Sandbox Report

Aside from the HTC Sync Manager program (which was downloaded to the PC) - have you downloaded any other files to your phone?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

No, I haven't downloaded any other files to my phone. I scanned my phone with numerous anti-virus apps (Malwarebytes, Lookout, AVG) and it says my phone is clean. I'm hoping the "AndroidHtcSync1.apk" was part of the HTC Sync Manager.

Global Posts
    7,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

That's what I think it is also, but I haven't been able to find any direct confirmation, which pretty much means it is not actually malware, it's just something people haven't encountered that often. That being said, an APK can't really do anything if you don't turn on the setting for 3rd party applications in security settings and if you don't install it and accept it's permissions. By itself, just being on your phone is harmless. If you choose to install it, I'd recommend contacting HTC to confirm what it is and why you need it.