Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What texting service to use?

Hey, so I would like a texting service that gives the ability to show me a preview of the text and be able to customize a vibrate or sound that differs from all other notifications. I tried hangouts and I liked it, but I couldn't customize it, same with the default messaging system, messages, if there is a way to customize those things within those apps, that might help. If not though, what are other texting apps?

--- Right now I use Textra but I haven't been 100% sold.
    (and nothing that shows ads please)

Default Re: What texting service to use?

I'm quite happy with Textra myself. I have tried a few others, but just kept coming back to it. I like the fact that you can customize the LED (where applicable), pop-up, notification sound, bubble colors, etc based on contact. Far superior to the stock messaging app on my Galaxy Nexus, that's for sure.

Search SMS apps on the Play store, and try a bunch out. Most of the ad-supported ones have a paid version to get rid of the ads and/or open up all the features.
    "I can only see half of what's going on
    But i'm alright
    'Cause I can still smile"

Wide Mouth Mason - Smile

Quote Originally Posted by lls5316 View Post
    Hey, so I would like a texting service that gives the ability to show me a preview of the text and be able to customize a vibrate or sound that differs from all other notifications. I tried hangouts and I liked it, but I couldn't customize it, same with the default messaging system, messages, if there is a way to customize those things within those apps, that might help. If not though, what are other texting apps?

Try this https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ssaging_donate
    There is a free more limited version also.

Posted via Android Central App

I use 8sms stock KitKat messaging app. Was on textra before it.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

Textra

Handcent and GO SMS both offer what you're looking for also. On a side note I've been seeing Textra popping up more and more... I may have to try it.
    Sent from my HTCOX Fōn.

I use Chomp. I really like it. Just checked out Textra and it is very similar

Quote Originally Posted by lls5316 View Post

i am not 100% sold on textra either. but it is the best of all the texting apps i have tried. i use whatsapp for international texting...