Questions regarding music, slowness and USB syncing

Jenlo

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone, I've had my HTC One about a year now after having iPhones for several years. I also have a Mac. There's a few things that I haven't really understood about the phone and I'm hoping to finally 'get it' now. Here's the issues I'm having:

1. I am using Google Music Play to listen to music and see everything if I select "All Music" from my phone. But last month I listened to too much music (apparently while not connected to wi-fi?), exceeded my data plan and got charged extra. So my question is why is only some of my music actually on my device, and how do I get it all on there?

2. I tried syncing to see if I could get my music to upload and my computer doesn't recognize the phone any more (it used to). I've tried Android File Transfer and HTC Sync Manager (I don't honestly know what the difference is.) Both tell me there's no phone connected. I've tried different ports, but I only have one cable so I can't try a different cord. The phone does charge when I have it hooked up to the computer, so there's SOMETHING working.

3. For the past couple of days, my phone has periods where it's very slow. Text messages take several minutes to go through, the screen and apps seems to hang. I have restarted the phone several times. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. It's irritating when I'm in the middle of a text conversation with someone and there's a 5 minute lag time between receiving and sending texts.

Any ideas? Sorry to throw so many questions out here at once? They've just been piling up and I'm CLUELESS when it comes to Android and everyone else I know has an iPhone. Thank you!!!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone, I've had my HTC One about a year now after having iPhones for several years. I also have a Mac. There's a few things that I haven't really understood about the phone and I'm hoping to finally 'get it' now. Here's the issues I'm having:

1. I am using Google Music Play to listen to music and see everything if I select "All Music" from my phone. But last month I listened to too much music (apparently while not connected to wi-fi?), exceeded my data plan and got charged extra. So my question is why is only some of my music actually on my device, and how do I get it all on there?

2. I tried syncing to see if I could get my music to upload and my computer doesn't recognize the phone any more (it used to). I've tried Android File Transfer and HTC Sync Manager (I don't honestly know what the difference is.) Both tell me there's no phone connected. I've tried different ports, but I only have one cable so I can't try a different cord. The phone does charge when I have it hooked up to the computer, so there's SOMETHING working.

3. For the past couple of days, my phone has periods where it's very slow. Text messages take several minutes to go through, the screen and apps seems to hang. I have restarted the phone several times. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. It's irritating when I'm in the middle of a text conversation with someone and there's a 5 minute lag time between receiving and sending texts.

Any ideas? Sorry to throw so many questions out here at once… They've just been piling up and I'm CLUELESS when it comes to Android and everyone else I know has an iPhone. Thank you!!!

Welcome to the forums!
I can take a stab at some of your questions.

1. Google Music. That is a streaming service, but you can 'Pin' songs to your device. Meaning you download it and you can listen to it offline. If you have mobile data active I think it will play from the device (I have unlimited data, so I don't usually notice) As for getting your music on your device, you can pin whatever songs you want while connected to your wifi at home.

2. Android and Macs. I can't really help much here. I do know that Apple and Android don't play well together. The data cable may be damaged where the data part isn't working but it can charge (they are two separate pins in the cord)

3. I think this may be a combination of cell signal, and a need to clear cached data in recovery. Cache clear: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-6526
With the link, you will not lose any personal data. What happens is sometimes cached data from an older version of Android interferes with a newer version, cached data can sometimes get corrupted, and basically causes the OS to stumble a bit. Try the above procedure. If it helps, keep the procedure in mind. (On a monthly basis I clear cache on all my devices whether they need it or not)

Hopefully, I got all your questions.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site

I'm not sure why you're music isn't all on your device. Are you using a service to stream music stored on your Mac or in the iCloud? If you want it on you device it should be simple enough to put there.

You basically answered your first question with your second question. HTC Sync is the easiest way to get stuff on your device. If it's not working try uninstalling it and then install it again, maybe it didn't update or something got corrupted. Cords can fail in different ways, most people usually notice that they stop charging before noticing that they stop transferring data. Since you only have the one cord try it with a different device. A Nook or a Kindle. If you're Mac sees them when you plug in the port on your phone may need to be cleaned. Your carrier will usually do that for free. As for the cable, there are a lot of inexpensive (cheap) cables out there for $7 or less. I've found them at Big Lots, Dollar General, Family Dollar, 5below, Dollar Tree, although I will say the ones from Dollar Tree had issues, they worked just not greatest. You may also be able to find some on line for cheap, but I like my satisfaction right now so waiting for a delivery is not my style, if I can avoid it.

The slow down of your device could be caused by an over active app or too much of your memory resources being used. The 3 things I always recommend that people start with are FaceBook, Email, and SMS. Go to Settings>Apps>All and scroll to FaceBook. Force stop the app, clear the cache (not the data), then go to your email app and do the same, and then restart your phone. Both services will restart with the phone. You can also try Settings>Storage>Make more space, and this will "clear" your caches. I say "clear" because somehow FaceBook never seems to clear with an app. Then go to your SMS app, hopefully not Hangouts or the stock app, and start cleaning house. Then see if your performance improves. Keeping dozens of MMS messages and hundreds of SMS messages on your device will slow it down. If you do these things and still experience issues start looking for a rouge app. There are several ways to do this. You can go to Settings>App manager>Running and see what is running there. If you're not using it start shutting them down. So items will return but what you really want to do is look for something unusual running that is using a lot of memory. You can also go to the Play Store and look for an app to tell you what is running on your device. You don't want an app killer, they only run your battery down and usually don't help the performance of your phone.

GL