Should I get a HTC one?

Kieran9810

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm currently an iPhone 5 user, but my dad's got the HTC one (m7) and I'm thinking of getting one. I really like the build quality and think it would be the best phone for me to try android. I just wanna know what is the battery like? And also is the camera as bad as people make out? I took a couple of photos on my dad's phone and they didn't seem that bad.

Many Thanks

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I would do it. I have only had mine a couple of months. Bat life is great and i dont always have access to a charger during the day. But i would also think about the M8

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
The battery is subjective to each user, it's not bad, but if you plan to be out all day navigating, shopping, and searching, yeah it's not going to make it. Some days I get 18 - 20 hours other days 12, and it's all based on use and bump charging. Meanwhile, just like you saw in your tests the camera isn't that bad, IMO. Every now and then I run into an issue but it's a phone and really if the picture is that important most folks will carry a real camera. As for the phone its self it really is a good phone. I haven't run into too many issues, I also haven't liked some of the updates, but being fresh to Android and coming from iPhone I think it will be a good place to start. Right now the price is right at BB, I think at Verizon they are still wanting full price, and I'm not sure what other carriers are asking. Another advantage would be that if your dad has one then you have a resource you can talk to instantly and of course you can always ask questions here.

I still love One.

Kieran9810

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Well, I have thought about the M8, but I'm going to keep my iPhone also ( incase I can't get used to Android etc) and I'm not due an upgrade till October so if I really like the m7, when my upgrade comes in October I will get the M8.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Well, I have thought about the M8, but I'm going to keep my iPhone also ( incase I can't get used to Android etc) and I'm not due an upgrade till October so if I really like the m7, when my upgrade comes in October I will get the M8.

I had an iPhone 5S and upgraded to the One M8, my first Android phone ever. I have posted my impressions in another thread if you are interested. I think both devices are great, so it really comes down to the OS and your expectations/needs. I would suggest you do your research for the things that matter to you the most. For example:
  • What kind of mail account do you use and is it supported on Android?
  • What about calendar, contacts and tasks? Where do you store this information and how can you continue doing that with Android?
  • What about your music? What program do you use? What about syncing to Android?
  • What about pictures sync?
  • Special apps you have on your iPhone? Check if the same apps are available on Android or at least similar ones.
  • Is the camera important to you? Your iPhone makes much better pictures than the M7 and the M8.

gladrigger

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
My Two cents Kieran!

Do not get the HTC One.

Let me explain my own first hand experience with the HTC One. As my iPhone 4 was stolen in August 2013, at this point spec wise HTC Owas the best option, as this was a phone with right display size that iPhones were not offering and is yet to offer. I came to like Android and the HTC One tremendously despite being an avid IOS user. Then gradually the following occured with my hardware:

1. The print on the back of the aluminiuim case faded away. Shody finishing i would say.
2. Ear phone jack started developing issues and hence I am unable to rely on using handsfree headsets. Cross check forums.
3. Pink background in pics have manifested first with night time pics and now can be seen in daylight pics as well.
4. A close associate, who sent his phone over to customer care and in due course (after three weeks of badgering) he was called to witness the reason why his phone was unable to auto focus, swears that the inards of the phone are put togeter with a lot of tape and is no where near the assembly class of Samsung or Iphone sets. So the HTC technician was trying to prove that the camera was autofocusing because of scrathces on the cover of the camers, which on inspection were observed to be on the inner surface of the lens!! - The build quality of these phones is terrible as compared to other Android platform phones.

As for teh software support:

1. The HTC Sync Manager conencted to my phone only couple of months and there after I used to loose connections during Syncs. Hence I never had a complete back up of anything on my PC. HTC online support could not fix this nor do they know what to do.
2. With the removal of USB Mass Storage support on most android phones, my problems have aggrevated.I recently lost my phone data due to an accidental swipe of memeory by my 5 year old, and guess what i cannot even use data recovery softwares like REMO to recover flash memory as the phone will not connect to the PC due to no USB Mass storage funcationality other than MTP.

I agree with you and may others that the HTC One was indeed packaged with a lot of class leading specs, although these high class specs are let down by some poor quality components and minimalistic developement of the user interfaces.

I hope my discussion helps you in making a decision. Cloud use is good but is limited today with cost as a major factor, buthence a phone with time tested local connectivity is equally important.

All the best.

- - - Updated - - -

My Two cents Kieran!

Do not get the HTC One.

Let me explain my own first hand experience with the HTC One. As my iPhone 4 was stolen in August 2013, at this point spec wise HTC Owas the best option, as this was a phone with right display size that iPhones were not offering and is yet to offer. I came to like Android and the HTC One tremendously despite being an avid IOS user. Then gradually the following occured with my hardware:

1. The print on the back of the aluminiuim case faded away. Shody finishing i would say.
2. Ear phone jack started developing issues and hence I am unable to rely on using handsfree headsets. Cross check forums.
3. Pink background in pics have manifested first with night time pics and now can be seen in daylight pics as well.
4. A close associate, who sent his phone over to customer care and in due course (after three weeks of badgering) he was called to witness the reason why his phone was unable to auto focus, swears that the inards of the phone are put togeter with a lot of tape and is no where near the assembly class of Samsung or Iphone sets. So the HTC technician was trying to prove that the camera was autofocusing because of scrathces on the cover of the camers, which on inspection were observed to be on the inner surface of the lens!! - The build quality of these phones is terrible as compared to other Android platform phones.

1. The HTC Sync Manager conencted to my phone only couple of months and there after I used to loose connections during Syncs. Hence I never had a complete back up of anything on my PC. HTC online support could not fix this nor do they know what to do.
2. With the removal of USB Mass Storage support on most android phones, my problems have aggrevated.I recently lost my phone data due to an accidental swipe of memeory by my 5 year old, and guess what i cannot even use data recovery softwares like REMO to recover flash memory as the phone will not connect to the PC due to no USB Mass storage funcationality other than MTP.

I agree with you and may others that the HTC One was indeed packaged with a lot of class leading specs, although these high class specs are let down by some poor quality components and minimalistic developement of the user interfaces.

I hope my discussion helps you in making a decision. Cloud use is good but is limited today with cost as a major factor, buthence a phone with time tested local connectivity is equally important.

All the best.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I cannot believe that HTC would put tape inside their phones..These things are high quality and high technology..
You just had bad luck with your device, but that doesn't mean that all devices have issues. Apparently your computer has issues also, since you could not really connect to your device via HTC Sync Manager.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
My Two cents Kieran!

Do not get the HTC One.

All the best.

- - - Updated - - -

1. I have had my One for right at 1 year (pre-order). I have never used a case. The back still looks like new except a small scratch in one corner after dropping the phone.
2. If you have a problem with the phone you should have sent it for repair under warranty. There is no excuse for not having done so.
3. See #2. Send it in.
4. this is total bs.

Software
1.No need to connect to pc to back things up. I have never connected mine to my pc. If you feel you must connect to the pc, you should try to troubleshoot your problem instead of blaming on HTC. Plenty of other people are able to connect without issue. Why anyone would want to is beyond me though.
2. So you screwed up your phone and wiped the data, you didn't make a backup and you blame HTC. Classy.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I have the One M7 and if I were you I'd do it.

The camera is pretty decent in itself but the functionality is awesome. The battery life, you can expect around 4hrs on screen time but standby and talk time last pretty well.

I did have a blown speaker but htc replaced it no questions asked and at no cost. I'm still using my One and still love it

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I got my One last month, a few weeks before the M8 came out since my old One X died. It's a fantastic phone. Camera isn't the best, but it's good enough for me and certainly not as terrible as some make it out to be. Battery life is definitely a lot better than my old phone, having about 20-30% more battery left when I get home every day, so I can't really complain. The speakers still startle me whenever I get a notification or phone call, so there's that. I have played around with my friend's M8, and although I enjoyed the small amount of time I had with it, I can't really give an in-depth opinion. However, I can say you can't go wrong with either phone.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress