Must have applications?

Michael Nancarrow

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Okay so here is the deal- I love applications. I have to continually try them out, find the good, the bad and the downright weird. Here is what I currently have (Installed):

Utilities

-AutoMateIt Pro
-AutoSMS
-Memory Booster Pro
-All-In-One Toolbox Pro +extensions
-3G Watchdog Pro +extensions
-BatteryGuru and Glance
-SuperBackup Pro
-ESET AV (Just for sh**s and giggles)

Work\Education

-Udemy
-Evernote
-Dropbox
-Google Drive
-Feedly & Flipboard
-To Do Reminder Pro
-My Budget Book Pro
-G-Mail (disabled stock E-Mail app)
-Vuze
-Wolfgram Alpha

Along with the social junk- Facebook, Hangouts, Google+, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, Kik, Snapchat etc.

The question I pose is this- what are the best apps you recommend to try?

Last edited:

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Okay so here is the deal- I love applications. I have to continually try them out, find the good, the bad and the downright weird. Here is what I currently have (Installed):

Utilities

-AutoMateIt Pro
-AutoSMS
-Memory Booster Pro
-All-In-One Toolbox Pro +extensions
-3G Watchdog Pro +extensions
-BatteryGuru and Glance
-SuperBackup Pro
-ESET AV (Just for sh**s and giggles)

Work\Education

-Udemy
-Evernote
-Dropbox
-Google Drive
-Feedly & Flipboard
-To Do Reminder Pro
-My Budget Book Pro
-G-Mail (disabled stock E-Mail app)
-Vuze
-Wolfgram Alpha

Along with the social junk- Facebook, Hangouts, Google+, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, Kik, Snapchat etc.

The question I pose is this- what are the best apps you recommend to try?

Well @Nancarrow It seems that you have ask such a difficult question all the applications mentioned here are just best of the best there is just no way once can truly bet upon that this application is perfect rather than choosing one I'll say I love all the apps.

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
this is my first android, and these apps have been essential to me (in no particular order)...

TEXTRA
AIRDROID
VSCO CAM
PIXLR EXPRESS
WAZE
K-9 MAIL
NOVA SETTINGS
POWER TOGGLES
SWIFTKEY
SOUND PROFILE
and of course
INSTAGRAM

Michael Nancarrow

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Before I start, I just want to say I am not attacking any of your opinions- I went to the store and looked at my review of each, installed what I haven't used yet and tested.

There is nothing wrong with these apps- they just aren't for me. Thanks for your input guys and gals!

Well I am not a huge apps person. But the two I do like are Waze and Overdrive media

Waze as in the GPS map and traffic? If so, I'd prefer to stick to the standard Google Maps with traffic inbuilt, minimalism and all. As for Overdrive it looks interesting, will investigate!

this is my first android, and these apps have been essential to me (in no particular order)...

TEXTRA
AIRDROID
VSCO CAM
PIXLR EXPRESS
WAZE
K-9 MAIL
NOVA SETTINGS
POWER TOGGLES
SWIFTKEY
SOUND PROFILE
and of course
INSTAGRAM

Textra; I'd prefer to use the stock SMS client as it is lightweight, integrated and to be honest..Textra looks childish to me.
Airdroid; Fantastic application, although not really practical for me. What is your main use for it?
VSCO Cam, Pixlr and K-9 Mail; I do not use these as I believe the stock applications perform just as well, and these are just bloatware that I do not need.

To be honest, all of the above is just bloatware to me, and isn't needed.

You don't have any games or photo apps listed.

Well to be honest neither of those are really required, although I do have:

Games:

- Mob Wars
- Yu Gi Oh Bam
- Plague
- Robot Unicorn Attack 2

Photo Apps:

- Instagram
- Snapchat

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Before I start, I just want to say I am not attacking any of your opinions- I went to the store and looked at my review of each, installed what I haven't used yet and tested.

There is nothing wrong with these apps- they just aren't for me. Thanks for your input guys and gals!

Waze as in the GPS map and traffic? If so, I'd prefer to stick to the standard Google Maps with traffic inbuilt, minimalism and all. As for Overdrive it looks interesting, will investigate!

Textra; I'd prefer to use the stock SMS client as it is lightweight, integrated and to be honest..Textra looks childish to me.
Airdroid; Fantastic application, although not really practical for me. What is your main use for it?
VSCO Cam, Pixlr and K-9 Mail; I do not use these as I believe the stock applications perform just as well, and these are just bloatware that I do not need.

To be honest, all of the above is just bloatware to me, and isn't needed.

Well to be honest neither of those are really required, although I do have:

Games:

- Mob Wars
- Yu Gi Oh Bam
- Plague
- Robot Unicorn Attack 2

Photo Apps:

- Instagram
- Snapchat

i changed the waze settings not to show me other drivers on my map. google maps is fine for showing me traffic and routes. but waze shows me the fastest route every time. i live in LA so this makes a difference.

also i am a photographer and VSCO and pixlr far outperform the stock camera and instagram. but like you said these are individual preferences. some people have no desire for the level of control over an image that i do.

i tried handcent and i can't recall what other sms apps when i first got this android. textra was the cleanest interface and it incorporated emoji. i have a girlfriend i text with all day that uses them so i had to comply.

airdroid for transferring files from my (mac) computer to my phone. i don't use it for anything else. i tried android file transfer. it was buggy. and the stock transfer app (htc connect? i forget what it's called) was absolute rubbish.

oh forgot to address k-9. it was the first email app that allowed me to control the option of deleting on server when i read an email. i enjoyed this feature on my blackberry and the stock email app did not.

Michael Nancarrow

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Nova Launcher!

Nova Launcher just didn't do it for me- I tried Espier, Nova, Apex, Smart, Buzz, Aviate and a few others and really found no use to the launcher. I mean, once in app the launcher has no effect and really...it's just another process, and memory guzzler that can often be a bit unresponsive or buggy. If you'd like, I could provide a code for Aviate? Awesome launcher but needs some work!

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Better Wifi on/off combined with Auto Wifi/3G switch. The first only turns wifi on/off and keeps it on with an approved list of SSID's. The second turns data on if one of the SSID's aren't present. Better wifi on/off can be customized very well and saves battery life along with Auto Wifi/3G switch.

Invitation Processor for entering .ics invites into your calender because Android still doesn't do it natively.

Michael Nancarrow

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Better Wifi on/off combined with Auto Wifi/3G switch. The first only turns wifi on/off and keeps it on with an approved list of SSID's. The second turns data on if one of the SSID's aren't present. Better wifi on/off can be customized very well and saves battery life along with Auto Wifi/3G switch.

Invitation Processor for entering .ics invites into your calender because Android still doesn't do it natively.

Awesome, freeware or paid only? I do not think I need this level of control really, as I only allow one WiFi connection, and when that is present I am actively using, or relying on it (Torrents etc.) Although the pair combined seems awesome.

As for the calendar invitation applicant, I shall give it a go. For my HTC One I find the invites for my events quite sufficient. Thanks for the help!

Side note: One thing I hate are advertisements. If the program is good, I'll buy it, but the ads kill it for me. For me, if the app performs what it is desired to do, good UI and no advertisements I will more than happily pay for it. Right?

kimberleycastlemain

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi Michael,
What do you like/dislike about AutoSMS? There is a messaging app called PPLCONNECT, which is actually a virtual smartphone, but messaging has been the most popular functionality so far. It does free + regular SMS to/from users or non-users of the app respectively, also allows access from any web browser on any device. Being an expert on apps, I'd love to hear your opinion on it!
-Kim