Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default WiFi Toggle- dysfunctional?

So quiet recently I've started finding a trend- my 'toggle' on my HTC One M7 (WiFi) tends to turn on frequently. I've checked within the actual Settings on the phone, and have noted that the toggle there off, yet will divert to on once the toggle appears active. (Duh!)

I have not turnt this on, nor have I noted the cause. I only note this when I go to enable my Mobile Data, and times vary through the day . Sadly I have quite poor internet connection at current and cannot delve into this, but is this a known issue? I don't really want to do a Factory Reset but may be required to?

HTC One M7
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WiFi Toggle- dysfunctional?-6748.jpg  
    Regards
    Michael Nancarrow

Default Re: WiFi Toggle- dysfunctional?

I had a similar issue with my M7 a couple of months back. I tried everything and was left with an option of factory reset. However, then I realized that it was some app I had which was continuously pulling internet connectivity and would turn on Wi-Fi without my permission. Please check if you have any such malicious app installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Nancarrow View Post
    So quiet recently I've started finding a trend- my 'toggle' on my HTC One M7 (WiFi) tends to turn on frequently. I've checked within the actual Settings on the phone, and have noted that the toggle there off, yet will divert to on once the toggle appears active. (Duh!)

I have not turnt this on, nor have I noted the cause. I only note this when I go to enable my Mobile Data, and times vary through the day . Sadly I have quite poor internet connection at current and cannot delve into this, but is this a known issue? I don't really want to do a Factory Reset but may be required to?

HTC One M7
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by apastrophe View Post
    I had a similar issue with my M7 a couple of months back. I tried everything and was left with an option of factory reset. However, then I realized that it was some app I had which was continuously pulling internet connectivity and would turn on Wi-Fi without my permission. Please check if you have any such malicious app installed.

Well I have just done a FR (Factory Reset) and have not paid too much attention (I usually note it around 3-5pm), but will look into this. I should not have any malicious apps, as for fun I bought ESET Security and that does a daily scan.
    Regards
    Michael Nancarrow

This can happen if you have the "Sprint Connections Optimizer" turned on. I always leave it off. Not sure if this app exists on other carriers phones.

Settings - Mobile Data - Automatic Connections

then clear the checkmark on the Optimizer (I just skip the agreement screen that comes up by pressing the Back button)
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by apastrophe View Post
    Factory Reset, installed ESET AV (Paid) which does rigorous scans, and everything is clean. I cannot think of any app I have trying to pull data, but will re-investigate this. (Obliviously, I am still having this issue, hence why I am returning.)

Quote Originally Posted by Davethebrewer View Post
    This can happen if you have the "Sprint Connections Optimizer" turned on. I always leave it off. Not sure if this app exists on other carriers phones.

Settings - Mobile Data - Automatic Connections

then clear the checkmark on the Optimizer (I just skip the agreement screen that comes up by pressing the Back button)

Why would you go to Mobile Data if it is for the WiFi toggle? I have gone to the settings as you specified and no, there is no such option.Oh well, I will keep digging at this mischievous WiFi toggle (which is off in my example).
    Regards
    Michael Nancarrow