Photo's Auto-Backup doesn't recognise when it's on WIFI

Carlos MendozaR

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I have been having this issue since my phone got the HTC Sense 6 update last week.

Some Google applications don't recognise when they are on WIFI to enable auto-backup / update / download features. In order to force a backup / update, I need to tell it to auto-backup using both Data Network and WIFI and then it backs up the data using WIFI.

I see the same behaviour in Play Music, only downloading data for streaming or for off-line playing if the setting is enabled for both Data Network and WIFI.

Auto update of applications hasn't worked since then, and they need to be forced manually.

Has anybody seen this behaviour before?

Thanks!

Carlos MendozaR

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
OK... it always happens, as soon as you post the question, you find the answer! :)

The fix is simple, it is an issue related to hotspots... from another post

"Go to data usage, menu, hotspots, make sure that your trusted networks are not marked as a hotspot. You may have to then reboot."

It fixed the 3 issues I mentioned above and probably a few more that I hadn't found yet! And to think that after googling (for the wrong thing obviously) for a few days and finally deciding to ring HTC Support, they told my that my best option was to either perform a factory reset or use a different google account to try the backup. I am glad I didn't listen!

ztong

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
It works! Thank you so much for telling this! I have the same problem to back up photos under "wifi only" but OK to be under "wifi and mobile data". Totally no idea why and never noticed the wifi hotspot option hidden in data usage menu. Now it's running perfectly like before. I search quite a few time and this is the only one solving my problem. Thanks again.

Now I don't mean to say this change has anything to do with the following issue but just want to share the experience.

After unselecting the wifi as a mobile hotspot, I didn't see it took effect immediately so I reboot the device. Once booted, I didn't wait to everything loaded but headed to photos app to check and glad to see it worked - all photos are uploaded now. But 1 minute later the phone rebooted by itself, and after booted into the system again for 1 min it rebooted again and keep looping this.

Long story short, I did a factory reset from recovery mode and finally the phone is fine. I tried restore system data using Titanium and this repeated the problem. Restoring app data only is fine so I think there's an issue somewhere in the system app/setting data.

I think it's a specific issue. But if anyone happen to experience a repeatedly rebooting, a factory reset will solve it. Though data will be lost if you didn't back up regularly.

Update: Not sure why the first reboot happened. But if you have rooted, and experience looping reboot again maybe you want to check SuperSU to see if the SU binary is correctly installed.

Last edited:

scottdeto

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yep, that worked for me too. For those searching the forum, this fixed my issues with Flickr and Google+ not auto uploading pictures and videos after installing Sense 6.0.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC