How can I resolve a slow sms without deleting threads?

EoN604

May 23, 2013
Visit site
HTC M7: Message app slow due to a lot of messages

Hey Guys,

One of my SMS threads with someone has gotten so long (a LOT of messages over a year or so) that it's slowed right down and takes about 10 seconds to load up initially, and then trying to reply is all jumpy & slow, it basically seems to have slowed right down to be unusable. I'm assuming the thread has gotten too long and it's juggling it around in memory.

I'm just wondering if there's any way I can resolve this? If possible I'd rather not delete the thread, but will if there's no alternative. Is there a way I can save this thread and then start a new one with this person? Or back up the thread or something? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Large SMS thread has slowed down to be unusable

Yeah, huge amounts of stored SMS messages and MMS photos/videos can take up a surprisingly large chunk of storage, as well as cause sluggish performance of the messaging app. You could try SMS Backup +.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site

You can make a backup right from the stock app and export it. Then you can change setting to delete old messages after you reach a number. I use 5,000 max messages per thread and that seems to not bog down the app. At one point that thread was up around 15,000 and it made the app drag as well as fail to send messages.

I use SMS Backup + as well, but I've heard there are issues when it comes to restoring in the event you need to get a new device or something. In that case, the native app can seamlessly restore messages right back to your phone. But it does well to save to your Gmail for when you need to access a message that has been auto-deleted from your phone over time.

rkleung

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, huge amounts of stored SMS messages and MMS photos/videos can take up a surprisingly large chunk of storage, as well as cause sluggish performance of the messaging app. You could try SMS Backup +.

I use the same method with SMS Backup as well. Love how it goes straight to my Gmail account.

EoN604

May 23, 2013
Visit site

Thanks guys. I used SMS Backup, worked perfectly.

I don't use the gmail/google backup. Prefer to keep my SMS's private :) but it did what I was after!