Does it make sense to buy a used HTC One M7?

adock22096

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Currently I have an iPhone 5. I like the phone but I think I'm getting tired of ios since it hasn't changed for years. With that said I'm not sure I'll like android. Would it be worth it to buy a used HTC One m7 and use that for a few months?
The reason I am looking into this specific phone is because it has the higher build quality like the iPhone which is one of the reasons I originally chose iPhone. Plus its not brand new so I feel like it would be easier to find a cheaper used one than say the HTC one M8.
Do you guys think this is a good idea? Are there anythings I should be looking for in used ones? I had an HTC before I got an iPhone, I think it was called the freestyle and that phone was horrible. Do you think they have changed and become more reliable since then?
Thanks in advance.

GeodudeFFP

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Great idea. Bought a used One M7 on swappa several months ago as a backup to my LG G2 and paid half price of what it was in the stores, and it's essentially new. Will definitely do it again in the future.

Posted via Android Central App

Indoler

Banned
Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Currently I have an iPhone 5. I like the phone but I think I'm getting tired of ios since it hasn't changed for years. With that said I'm not sure I'll like android. Would it be worth it to buy a used HTC One m7 and use that for a few months?

Worth it? That's relative. For starters, what's that M7 supposed to cost? Is it without blemish on the outside? Does every function work? Do you trust the seller?

The M7 and the iPhone 5 would be of the same generation.

The reason I am looking into this specific phone is because it has the higher build quality like the iPhone which is one of the reasons I originally chose iPhone. Plus its not brand new so I feel like it would be easier to find a cheaper used one than say the HTC one M8.
Do you guys think this is a good idea? Are there anythings I should be looking for in used ones? I had an HTC before I got an iPhone, I think it was called the freestyle and that phone was horrible. Do you think they have changed and become more reliable since then?
Thanks in advance.

A good idea? TBH, not IMHO!
A year old phone – assuming the price is right and it works flawlessly – is still an older generation phone, and will come with a few disappointments 'built in'.
I would 'study' a bit more on the models you're attracted to and then get a latest generation flagship phone to get the fullest Android experience possible.
You didn't compromise when you got the iPhone 5 either, after all, did you?

adock22096

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Worth it? That's relative. For starters, what's that M7 supposed to cost? Is it without blemish on the outside? Does every function work? Do you trust the seller?

The M7 and the iPhone 5 would be of the same generation.
I just wanted to give android a try. I know it won't be a brand new and therefore won't be the latest and greatest but I figured if I liked android I would upgrade to a new flagship but if i didn't then I would just resell the phone and get the iPhone 6 as long as the screen is bigger like the rumors claim.

A good idea? TBH, not IMHO!
A year old phone – assuming the price is right and it works flawlessly – is still an older generation phone, and will come with a few disappointments 'built in'.
I would 'study' a bit more on the models you're attracted to and then get a latest generation flagship phone to get the fullest Android experience possible.
You didn't compromise when you got the iPhone 5 either, after all, did you?

Indoler

Banned
Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I just wanted to give android a try. I know it won't be a brand new and therefore won't be the latest and greatest but I figured if I liked android I would upgrade to a new flagship but if i didn't then I would just resell the phone and get the iPhone 6 as long as the screen is bigger like the rumors claim.

You can't compare a 2 year old Android version with the latest one you would get in a current latest generation flagship model. They are miles apart. If not light years. Android is in flux all the time. As opposed to iOS. Which is why you are considering to scupper it. Exactly because it is so boring, and limited, and the same for years...

GeodudeFFP

May 15, 2014
Visit site
adock22096, everybody will have their own - often differing - opinions on this. Yes, the M7 is an "older" (relatively speaking) cell phone (duh!), but it's great...still better than many current mid-range phones. It's also been upgraded to 4.4.2 (Kitkat). And you can revamp it totally with a custom launcher. If you're looking to try a different experience, you might want to go for it. I'd do it again in a second.

Yes, to get the latest/current/greatest, you wouldn't want to do that (another duh!). But any potential concerns mentioned above on quality/condition/seller are EASILY addressed/avoided.

Just think about what YOU are looking for, or what YOU want to try out. That's all that matters, not our opinions. But my experience was such that I'll be doing it multiple times again.

Last edited:

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Plus its not brand new so I feel like it would be easier to find a cheaper used one than say the HTC one M8.

It depends on what your plans are and how money-sensitive you are.

A simpler path with fewer risks might be to ask your carrier what happens if you pick up a new M8 or S5, and then decide you don't like it. Will they let you return it? If so, for what cost? After how many weeks? Test drives may be possible, although not without cost.

I hate buying old tech, personally. It's not only the use --that's a relatively more minor issue IMHO--but I just know that if I generally like it I will be wanting an upgrade too soon. If I were someone buying my current model, S4, today I'd view it as completely up to date, in perfect condition. Nothing wrong. But the minute I got it I'd be wondering why I didn't wait and stretch a little for the S6 next year or the Note 4, presumably in a couple of months.

So, how do you view these things? It's still current tech. If you get the M7 and like it--I predict you will if it is in good shape--then what? You may be jonesing to upgrade in the immediate future because, after all, it is older. Then, you have wasted the "used" price and wind up with a new one (perhaps even the successor to m8) anyway. Do you have upgrade-itis? :)

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks in advance.
Make sure you don't end up with an M7 with the purple hue camera defect.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
The M7 is running the latest Android software so how would your experience suffer? It is also running the latest version of HTC Sense. You will loose out on the latest Qualcomm chip but to be honest the LG3 battery isn't much better than the M7 and it is a much larger battery. Unfortunately, the screen is resolution is overkill and drains the battery.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
My wife just got a m7 yesterday as a replacement phone coming from a Nokia1020.

Of the phones she could have chosen which all are newer the look and feel of it was the mitigating factors in her decision.

Sometimes you just have to go with your gut feeling.

Get what makes you happy, and what you can afford.

From what I can see setting hers up it is a very nice phone that should last her for a long time.

adock22096

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I guess the reason I would want to get an m7 would be to try android for the next few months and then sell it and upgrade my contract. Depending on if I like the whole android experience would determine what phone I get next.
Right now I'm considering the m8 or the iPhone 6. But if I like the m7 enough I would consider waiting for the m9.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I guess the reason I would want to get an m7 would be to try android for the next few months and then sell it and upgrade my contract. Depending on if I like the whole android experience would determine what phone I get next.
Right now I'm considering the m8 or the iPhone 6. But if I like the m7 enough I would consider waiting for the m9.

Fair enough. But....your carrier might let you try a M8 for little or no cost at the outset. Might simplify things.

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Just sent my HTC One (M7) back to factory to see what they will do about the camera's purple hue under indoor lighting. Phone is great except for that flaw.

soulenigma

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I've bounced around from different phones including the m7. I most say it is diffidently in my phone rotation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GeodudeFFP

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Hey adock22096... $449 for refurbished M8...check online, you'll find it...that's what you really want, isn't it?

Eclectech

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
The cool thing about the HTC One M7 is that it's beautiful and HTC is still supporting it with updates. It has 4.4.2 with Sense 6. If you're on the Sprint network you won't get the benefit of their Spark network, but it should work great on the other carriers. Even though it's more than a year old, it's one of the few phones I would still recommend today.

« Posted via my HTC One M8! »