Unable to Update my HTC One M7

realnsleo

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Hello there,
I am quite new to this and I am stuck. I purchased an HTC One M7 (out of the box) from Amazon. I turned it on and have been using it well for the past week. Today I went through my phone settings and realized I was running:

Android Version : 4.3
HTC Sense Version : 5.0
Software Version : 3.04.651.2

I also recently read that HTC 6.0 was out together with Android version 4.4 and all you had to do was go to Settings > Phone > Check for updates. However, that Update option seems to be missing from my menu. When I checked "Tell HTC and error reporting" I saw (in red) "This is a test device. Accordingly to collect .. blah blah".

Am i missing something here? Could there be an explanation as to why I can not access the Updates menu item. Is there any other way I can update the phone? Thank you for taking your time to read and for any explanations. Thanks!:'(

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I would contact HTC. If you are truly running a test device chances are there won't be a way to update the unit. They lock all of that stuff up on those units so that when they send them out the tester and previews don't meddle with them. HTC may be able to unlock it for you to give you the full function. You may also want to go back to Amazon and read the full description of the device you bought and ensure they weren't selling you a test unit and somehow you missed that in the description. If the device was supposed to be a full function device you should be able to return it for a different one without any issue. I hear Amazon is a pretty reputable company to deal with and perhaps the unit slipped in by mistake.

Otherwise to update I'd say you would have to unlock the bootloader then download the ruu file and update from that, however if the unit is a test unit chances are you won't be able to use normal means to unlock the bootloader. This would be due to having to enter in the phone i.d. to unlock and HTC likely will deny that request.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar