Smith-expired? What is this?

grumpygramps1

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I just got off a long and completely fruitless chat with an HTC tech rep. They are aware that there is a problem and are working on a fix but couldn't give me an OTA date for the fix.
What is truly annoying is HTC knew that smith.apk was due to expire on July 28th 2014 and they did nothing about it. (The rep actually confirmed this also)
Very frustrating, I just want my phone to go back to working correctly.
Guess I'll just keep checking for updates.

What is this doing to your phone? For mine (as far as I can tell) I'm not noticing any changes.

Posted via the Android Central App

Christine726

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
When I try and connect to any Wi-Fi I get a message to check my internet connection...the internet now only works in 3G or 4G.

Holly Hammon

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I just chatted online with Sprint about Smith - Expired and she advised me to clean the cache and it will remove it (along with my stored passwords and something else which will stink) but I don't know how to delete the cache so I will have to spend valuable time in line at a Sprint store. Price of not being techy I guess....Or maybe I'll just ignore it.

ram1220

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I just chatted online with Sprint about Smith - Expired and she advised me to clean the cache and it will remove it (along with my stored passwords and something else which will stink) but I don't know how to delete the cache so I will have to spend valuable time in line at a Sprint store. Price of not being techy I guess....Or maybe I'll just ignore it.

Don't do it. There have been many posts in the Sprint forums where Sprint techs are spewing this bad information. It won't help. And you will be entering all of your information again for nothing.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Wiping any cache, whether it's the system cache partition or an individual app cache, will not make you have to enter your password or data again. The data stored in a cache is temporary, and is not crucial to the everyday functioning of the app or system. It's stored there more for convenience.

Here are steps to wipe the system cache partition for the HTC One M7: Reset: HTC One (LTE) | T-Mobile Support

ram1220

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Wiping any cache, whether it's the system cache partition or an individual app cache, will not make you have to enter your password or data again. The data stored in a cache is temporary, and is not crucial to the everyday functioning of the app or system. It's stored there more for convenience.

Here are steps to wipe the system cache partition for the HTC One M7: Reset: HTC One (LTE) | T-Mobile Support

I am just relaying info that I have read on the Sprint.com forums. Sprint is offering up this so called fix and is telling people they will need to re enter all their info. I don't have the problem so I can't vouch for it working or not. People are claiming the fix does not work. Some are claiming they have to re enter all of their info.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you Clear Data from the app, then yes, you may have to reenter the information.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

espio

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I only get the message saying smith.apk is disabled when I restart my phone. When I power the phone completely down and then turn it back on the message doesn't appear.

MotorDr

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Interesting.
I get the smith message both when I restart and when I shut down and then start my phone.
Sprint HTC One M7 harware version 0004 Software version 5.03.651.3 Android 4.4.2 Sense 6.0

Christine726

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
It's COMPLETELY frustrating, for over a fu**ing month I haven't been able to use ANY Wi-Fi. I've spoken to HTC several times and they have no answers as to when or IF any OTA will be available any time soon.

anon(409656)

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
It's COMPLETELY frustrating, for over a fu**ing month I haven't been able to use ANY Wi-Fi. I've spoken to HTC several times and they have no answers as to when or IF any OTA will be available any time soon.

Both my wife and myself have had the Smith message but have had no impact on functionality, as have many others here and on the Sprint forum. We have been able to just swipe the message away and it stays gone until next restart.
Have you taken the extreme measure of doing a factory reset on your phone? This is a PITA, but could be a possible fix, and you may have an unrelated problem that presented at the same time as the expiration of the Smith application. When all else fails, start over from scratch.

grumpygramps1

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Both my wife and myself have had the Smith message but have had no impact on functionality, as have many others here and on the Sprint forum. We have been able to just swipe the message away and it stays gone until next restart.
Have you taken the extreme measure of doing a factory reset on your phone? This is a PITA, but could be a possible fix, and you may have an unrelated problem that presented at the same time as the expiration of the Smith application. When all else fails, start over from scratch.

I've done this. and while it did not show up initially upon a re-start it came back on subsequent re-starts. With this being said, I'm still lucky not to have the issues that Christine 726 and others seem to be having. As others have mentioned all I have to do is swype awat the notification.

grumpygramps1

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Hello all. Well I received a software update this morning (on Sprint) and seems to have resolved this smith expired issue. The update I received is 5.05.651.2 Hardware version 0004. Hope this helps some of y'all as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos