Completely dead..... :(

sam876

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone, hope I have the right section!

Basically about a month ago, my HTC One M7 did not want to charge. It did not even recognise when I plugged the charger in. I had about 40% battery left and needed my phone the next day so I turned it off for the night. The next day I tried turning it on, only to find it had somehow drained it's battery overnight while it was switched off!? So, I tried plugging it in to see if it would magically work now - and it did! All as normal!

Fast forward a week, the phone seemed to be back to it's usual self until it randomly didn't like any of my chargers (all non genuine). It recognised the charger being plugged in this time, but came up with a message stating it 'did not support non genuine accessories so will not charge' with a little cross over the battery bar.

The phone isn't backed up and all of my stuff is on there, and now it's completely dead..... I have the new HTC M8 now but I still need to get onto my old phone to retrieve all my photos, contacts etc.... Is there anything I can try? I can't send it off to my network provider for repair because they reset the phone and I'll lose everything. I tried my new genuine charger from my M8 and the M7 will still not work....

Please help me someone!!!

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It may have been an issue with the battery or with the microUSB port--both of which would probably require a qualified technician to test or replace. How long did you leave the phone plugged in with the M8 charger? If the battery is dead, it may take a couple of hours before the battery has enough charge to even try to turn on . Try leaving it plugged in with the M8 charger for 10-12 hours, then see if it works.

sam876

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It may have been an issue with the battery or with the microUSB port--both of which would probably require a qualified technician to test or replace. How long did you leave the phone plugged in with the M8 charger? If the battery is dead, it may take a couple of hours before the battery has enough charge to even try to turn on . Try leaving it plugged in with the M8 charger for 10-12 hours, then see if it works.

Thanks for the reply!

I've left it plugged in most of the day (around 6-8 hours) and it still wont turn on. I will leave it until morning and see what happens.

I'd be surprised if it was the battery as it's always been pretty good - it seems to hold charge pretty well up until it broke! So like you said, I'd guess it's probably the USB socket on the phone.

The thing is if I send it to a qualified technician then it'll be reset and I'll lose all my stuff...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Batteries can fail unexpectedly, so if it's the battery, then you wouldn't necessarily lose your data.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I know I'm late to the party, but when you plug it in do you get anything? The battery icon that pops up saying that it's plugged in or the wee little LED in the speaker grill? With the device being off if it makes brief contact that wouldn't be long enough to see even the LED, it seems like it has to see the charge for a few seconds before lighting. Anyway, it sounds like your port is damaged and not your cable which is bad but maybe not as bad as you may think. Try this plug in with a known good cable, I wouldn't use your new one even though you got that message, that message usually means that it is not getting the required voltage and has little to do with the actual cable, so plug your M8 into one of your old cables if it charges then that will be your cable. I don't recommend using your new cable because it's new and it's OEM, you probably didn't pay much for the aftermarket ones and wouldn't be to upset if they were to be damaged. With the phone laying in its back lift up slightly on the cable for a few seconds and see if the phone responds with the LED or off battery charging icon. Try the same for down, left and right. If you find an angle that works find a way to keep that angle long enough to get some charge on the device so you can make your transfer.

As for the transfer HTC makes a very nice transfer tool that is on the market.

As for the battery replacement they can be very tricky and watching these guys on YouTube fly through them is nice but opening the device is a whole different ball game. Not saying it can't be done, I've replaced 3 screens, but if you replace the battery and its the port you're still going to have a device that won't turn on. If you take it into a service center and ask them to check the port they will be able to tell you if it's the port or the battery. It could actually just be dirty. However I've found that a new tight USB usually cleans that up if you plug it in a few times and that doesn't sound like your case. Also the memory and all of that can only be wiped if the device powers on so if you're standing there talking to them the chances are very low that they will do something like that without you being able to stop them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress