Why is there silence when making and receiving calls (HTC one)?

Josh Mould

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Silence when making and receiving calls - HTC one

Hello, I have had my HTC one for a year and a half now and never really had problems with it. Over the last couple of days it has decided to stop the function of phone calls. People can call me but when I pick it up there is no noise, just silence, they can't hear me and I can't hear them. This is the same when I make calls, the phone doesn't ring on my end yet it can be picked up by the receiver of the call, but still silence on both ends.

I'm unsure if this is a common problem but I would rather not send it off to get it fixed as I use it a lot. Any opinions on fixing this matter would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: Silence when making and receiving calls - HTC one

The first thing I would check is in settings make sure Bluetooth is not enabled.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Indyrobb

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Did you happen to download htc's service pack from Google play store? Looks like there are a lot of complaints about calls after that last update in the comments section.

You might try uninstalling the last update for the htc service pack and reboot to see if that fixes your problem.

Posted via Android Central App

t_p

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for this!.. Uninstalling it and rebooting worked for me.. This issue just started yesterday..

UnSined

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site

I'm having the same issue, but can't find where I'd uninstall the service pack from. Can you help me with this?

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site

More info on this HTC fiasco
http://phandroid.com/2014/12/12/htc-one-m8-m7-voice-calls-no-longer-working/
...a handful of HTC One M8 and M7 users who are reportedly no longer able to perform one of their phone’s most basic of functions: make a voice call.
Right now, there doesn’t seem to be a rhyme or reason on why the functionality stopped, or even which HTC One M8s and M7 are affected (A&T models only?), but users describe a problem where both the caller and receiver can’t hear so much as a dial tone when placing a call.

Fllyyyer

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I've got the exact same problem total silence not even a ring tone but other persons phone rings but when they pick up we both can't hear each other. It's same for incoming calls how do I remove an updateof this solved i?

Fllyyyer

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Uninstalling service pack update didn't work but I found something on another forum that did the trick. Go to settings, power and untick fast boot. Then switch on flight mode and switch off phone. Wait a couple of minutes and switch back on then switch off flight mode. All sorted.

Eddy Huang

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I also experienced this problem last week. Had to reset phone back to factory default settings then it worked. But now I have restoring issues!!

Manmikey

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site

Same problem here, silence when answering or making calls, switching the M7 off and on would cure it temporarily but it would happen again after a few hour,possibly something to do with HTC lock screen service (??)
In the end I done a factory reset and after a software update that appeared after the reset, it's been working properly for several days now

Posted via the Android Central App

Indyrobb

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site

Based on the comments in the play store, you'd have thought they would have pulled the update or at least updated it. But I still see tons of people having issues with it. I tried to tip off the AC folks here when it first occurred to let others here know maybe thru a news story but maybe it wasn't big enough of an issue or story.

I hope htc gets it fixed soon!

Posted via Android Central App

Lockel

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

Just got off online support for the same issue. Here is what you need to do to resolve (at least it worked on my HTC One M7). All the other "solutions" I spent hours of my life on either didn't work or let me make only one call before the problem reoccurred.

Step 1: Press and hold the Volume Down key.
Step 2:With the Volume key held down, press and hold the Power key till the phone switches off. Continue to hold both the volume down and power keys until the screen lights up again with a White Screen and Lots of writings
(It Should say 'LOCKED' at the top)
Step 3:When you see Three Android robots on skateboards,
Release the Power and Volume down key.
Then tap the Volume down key once to highlight RECOVERY
Press and release the Power key to Activate Recovery
Then screen will change to a series of backgrounds
Step 4: At the screen with a red triangle and a phone,
Hold the Volume Up key and press and release the power button.
Step 5: Use the volume down key to tap down to highlight WIPE CACHE PARTITION
Then tap the power key to select the Wipe Cache Partition.
You will see the yellow writing come up to confirm the Wipe Cache Partition
Step 6:After This has been completed,
Use the power key to reboot your phone.
NOTE: THIS WILL NOT DELETE YOUR PERSONAL DATA

It's good to be able to make and receive calls again :)

Daniel Larrondo

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site

Just got off online support for the same issue. Here is what you need to do to resolve (at least it worked on my HTC One M7). All the other "solutions" I spent hours of my life on either didn't work or let me make only one call before the problem reoccurred.

Step 1: Press and hold the Volume Down key.
Step 2:With the Volume key held down, press and hold the Power key till the phone switches off. Continue to hold both the volume down and power keys until the screen lights up again with a White Screen and Lots of writings
(It Should say 'LOCKED' at the top)
Step 3:When you see Three Android robots on skateboards,
Release the Power and Volume down key.
Then tap the Volume down key once to highlight RECOVERY
Press and release the Power key to Activate Recovery
Then screen will change to a series of backgrounds
Step 4: At the screen with a red triangle and a phone,
Hold the Volume Up key and press and release the power button.
Step 5: Use the volume down key to tap down to highlight WIPE CACHE PARTITION
Then tap the power key to select the Wipe Cache Partition.
You will see the yellow writing come up to confirm the Wipe Cache Partition
Step 6:After This has been completed,
Use the power key to reboot your phone.
NOTE: THIS WILL NOT DELETE YOUR PERSONAL DATA

It's good to be able to make and receive calls again :)

has anyone tried this solution???

Kevin Hoque

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I tried this solution. It worked for one phone call. Subsequent phone calls are all back to being silent. If anyone else has any other suggestions... :)

jameeceg

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Ok. I did the factory reset last night. That worked for about 8 hours. I just spent the last hour doing EACH of the suggestions here to no avail. I am on hold with HTC now. The first girl told me it was a carrier issue. When I told her that my carrier tried to address the issue for 48 hours, her next excuse was another SIM card. She was some crap.

I finally got Franklin! He has escalated my case to receive some sort of update that will be sent to my phone. Has anyone had this done for them? I refuse to purchase another phone. Is there any chance that HTC will do some sort of recall or mass update for HTC One users?

Dogs OfWar

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

I can confirm that clearing the cache works. Though I had to do it twice, the first time didn't work.

Dogs OfWar

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Ok. I did the factory reset last night. That worked for about 8 hours. I just spent the last hour doing EACH of the suggestions here to no avail. I am on hold with HTC now. The first girl told me it was a carrier issue. When I told her that my carrier tried to address the issue for 48 hours, her next excuse was another SIM card. She was some crap.

I finally got Franklin! He has escalated my case to receive some sort of update that will be sent to my phone. Has anyone had this done for them? I refuse to purchase another phone. Is there any chance that HTC will do some sort of recall or mass update for HTC One users?

I think you answered your own question, they're rolling out an update. Those always take time and I've seen other mentions of a system update fix. It's clearly just taking a while to make it through testing.

There is no chance at all that they're going to issue a recall on a two year old phone.

Dogs OfWar

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
After being able to make and receive phone calls for a few days by clearing the cache, today my phone would not ring and just show up with a voice mail. I rebooted it to try to fix that and now I can't make or receive calls again.

I've cleared cache twice again and still can't use the phone function.