Why is my HTC One stuck on 'HTC One' boot screen after update?

Jugoslavija

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
HTC One stuck on 'HTC One' boot screen after update

Hi everyone,
My HTC One M7 is stuck on the boot screen and I really don't know what to do anymore. Yesterday I deleted some music and 4gb of pictures from my phone to make some space. After that I checked for updates It said an update was available regarding some bugfixes and other issues. I let it download and install. At the end of the install process, I think I saw just the normal updating screen, but with the red pyramid exclamation mark icon. After that, it rebooted just like normal, first the white HTC screen, then the startup sound, and then the white HTC One screen. Only this time it didn't go further than that. My phone is not rooted or tampered with in any way. The only thing I did is download some cracked apps. Also I think I didn't update most of my apps for 2/3 weeks because I didn't have enough 'memory space' apparently.

I know a factory reset is the easiest thing to do, but if it's possible, I'd really like to fix the problem with all my data intact. My pictures etc are all back upped, and I have the HTC backup thingy (I think), but still, there's some things like WhatsApp messages I'd really like to keep.

I tried to just let it boot, maybe taking a little longer, but after 2 hours, the device gets pretty hot, and I'm afraid to let it overheat. However, after maybe half an hour/hour the white screen gets a bit brighter, indicating that there's still maybe something happening inside.

I'd be very happy if someone could help me with this!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: HTC One stuck on 'HTC One' boot screen after update

Welcome to Android Central! We really discourage installing cracked apps. It's a good way to get malware, and it's also supporting piracy.

Are you able to boot into Recovery? If so, try wiping the system cache partition: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-6526

Jugoslavija

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site

Ah, it's just the standard 'a friend told me it was a good idea', only I didn't know I could get malware from them.
I just wiped the cache partition and it unfortunately didn't help. :(

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Not sure what else you can do besides a factory reset, sorry!

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

This is where not rooting your device has a benefit. You can bring your phone into your carrier store, show them the problem, and tell them to fix it. Their update rendered your phone like this, not you.

Jugoslavija

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site

Well the thing is, I don't think they're gonna do anything else than just a factory reset, which I can do myself. Isn't there any program that I can use to still backup or access my SD card? When I connect the phone to my PC I can hear a USB connect sound, but the phone doesn't appear anywhere.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

You can try XDA to see if there are any recovery tools. I don't know for sure if they have them.

From an AOSP M8.