1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question rhyme rebooting when updating verizon cloud

My girlfriends htc rhyme keeps rebooting when trying to download/update verizon cloud. I took it to a verizon store and the guy there told me it was being caused by a conflect between avast and verizon's anti-virus program. When i asked him about where verizon's app was he tried to tell me it was built into android. does anyone know if this is true? Does anyone know why her phone would reboot when trying to update? Any help would be appreciated

Default Re: rhyme rebooting when updating verizon cloud

First of all, you should ask your girlfriend if she really needs to back things up using Verizon's system. VZW's Backup Assistant, in my opinion, is clunky and completely unnecessary if you have a Google account, because Google can constantly back up all of your contacts and email and calendar appointments and photos on its own. Backup Assistant probably also bogs the system down, especially if it's running in the background. I've never started Backup Assistant, so it's not active on my phone--unfortunately, it isn't possible to disable it, but at least it isn't active.

Regarding Verizon's antivirus app--it's probably fine (I think it uses McAfee's software), but it's also probably not as good as others out there. And running 2 antivirus programs can cause conflicts. If the Verizon antivirus app was preinstalled, then the only thing you could possibly do is to disable it (by going to Settings/Apps/All, selecting the Verizon antivirus app, and tapping Disable if the option is available). If it's uninstallable, you should see that option there as well. In my opinion, your friend should disable or uninstall the Verizon app, and stick with Avast, which has a good reputation.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

There is no verizon AV app on the phone. The sales rep tried to tell me it was built into the operating system by verizon.

I don't know what that rep was thinking. There is no Verizon antivirus app built into the OS. Google recently started scanning for malware on the server side when you install an app (see ), but that shouldn't cause interference with 3rd party apps, because it's done on the server side, not on your phone. Most of the time, you should trust a wireless sales rep about as far as you can throw him. No offense to any truly knowledgeable reps who participate on these forums.