Missing AT&T's Band 30

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Does this bother you AT&T folks wanting this phone? I'm pretty locked in with AT&T and this is off putting for me.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I would say it depends on where you live. I live in a smaller area, so I don't even think Band 30 is here. It seems to help with congestion, which isn't a problem where I live. I guess I'll maybe see some slowdowns in larger areas, but I'm not that worried about it.

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it has me leaning towards the Pixel 2 depending on what bands that will have as well. I just saw the U Ultra didn't have 29 or 30 either. I'm not sure why HTC has gone this route? Being in LA and all the talk about 30 being essential for congestion, I'll probably pass too. I'm still happy with my 10 for now anyway.

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm kinda surprised no one else feels like this is a big deal? You don't think it will affect LTE signal with AT&T?

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
If the U trend continues...like the U Ultra the U 11 will not support at&t's VOLTE. Also the U Ultra is missing band 29 and 30 too.

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Just wondering does any unlocked phone have 29 and 30 and wifi calling and volte with AT&T?

Yes some unlocked phones have bands 29 and 30. WiFi calling on at&t with unlocked is a no go. Volts was active on the 10 but some complained it drained the battery to much so they turned it off. It's really not a problem.

kgbkny

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I preordered the U11 with the intent of switching back to Android from the iPhone 6s Plus. Is the lack of Band 30 really something that I should be concerned about? I'm a NYC resident, which is obviously a congested market. If Band 30 is, indeed, critical, I'll have to cancel my preorder.

deng66

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I checked and I'm only using 2, 4, and 17 in my area. Not worried about it. The only thing it *may* cause is bottle necking in congested areas.
I was worried about band 30 missing from the unlocked G6 but I only ever used bands 2 and 17 so I'm not worried about the U11 either.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I was worried about band 30 missing from the unlocked G6 but I only ever used bands 2 and 17 so I'm not worried about the U11 either.

Yeah. Band 30 is a congestion related band. It is used in larger areas when the others are loaded. If you don't live in an area that needs it or uses it, then you're fine. You won't notice anything. You may not notice anything in other areas, either. You may notice some slowdowns if the other bands are too congested, however. But for most of us, it isn't a big deal at all.

kgbkny

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I checked and I'm only using 2, 4, and 17 in my area. Not worried about it. The only thing it *may* cause is bottle necking in congested areas.

My area uses the same bands, as well as band 12. From what I understand, band 12 is interoperable with band 17.

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. Band 30 is a congestion related band. It is used in larger areas when the others are loaded. If you don't live in an area that needs it or uses it, then you're fine. You won't notice anything. You may not notice anything in other areas, either. You may notice some slowdowns if the other bands are too congested, however. But for most of us, it isn't a big deal at all.

Good to know! Thanks. I'm in LA and have been checking LTE Discovery as well. I'm usually on band 12 and haven't seen band 30 yet. I'll probably wait a while for the U11 though... still love my 10 and am kinda interested in the Pixel 2. Looking forward to seeing the U11 user reviews as soon as it comes out!

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Ah LTE Discovery wouldn't work for me anyways. My current phone doesn't have band 29,30 so I wouldn't be able to see if it's even in my area or not. FYI for those using the app on their current phones lol.

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Ah LTE Discovery wouldn't work for me anyways. My current phone doesn't have band 29,30 so I wouldn't be able to see if it's even in my area or not. FYI for those using the app on their current phones lol.

You're on a 10, right? According to the spec sheet, the HTC 10 has 29 and 30.