What's everyone's problem with lack of the 3.5 audio jack?

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
It's no big deal. MOST people will have one pair of wired headphones they use the most so the logical thing to do is leave the adaptor conected to them so they go wherever the headphones do and don't get lost. People like to create a fuss saying they have to carry an extra piece of equipment separately when they don't. If you connect via 3.5mm jack to other devices then its no big deal to buy a few more adaptors and leave them connected to the other devices too

TFBisquit

Apr 23, 2017
Visit site
It's pretty simple actually. In the past there never was a 3,5 audio jack. So all of a sudden there was a phone with better audio over the speaker(s) and a 3,5" audio jack. You could plug-in any headphone set without adapters and enjoy even better quality of audio.
Taking that away, and forcing people to use adapters so they can still enjoy music with their fav headphones, is at the least annoying.
So that's what people have against it.
The audio jack is convenient, just as a microSD slot is on a 128GB or even bigger device.

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
It's pretty simple actually. In the past there never was a 3,5 audio jack. So all of a sudden there was a phone with better audio over the speaker(s) and a 3,5" audio jack. You could plug-in any headphone set without adapters and enjoy even better quality of audio.
Taking that away, and forcing people to use adapters so they can still enjoy music with their fav headphones, is at the least annoying.
So that's what people have against it.
The audio jack is convenient, just as a microSD slot is on a 128GB or even bigger device.

True, but now you're getting even better audio with noise cancelling headphones. Shouldn't everyone want better audio at a minor inconvenience.

MrScotian

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
I just don't get it. Can someone please explain to me why it's such a big deal. The only negative I can see is the fact that you can't charge while using the earphones. I have never charged my phone while using the earphones but can see where others may want to do both. The benefits outweigh the negatives for me. From someone I trust who has had a test U11 for a while has said the sound through the included earphones is the best he has ever heard. He said the sound is better than the HTC 10 and the Samsung S8. In fact he said the there is no comparison between the U11 and the S8. They are noise cancelling earphones. It comes with an adapter​ for use with 3.5 earphones. I just don't get it.

I don't see why I should have to manage another battery driven device just to hear sound. I have Bluetooth headphones that sound amazing and frankly I barely use them over the cheapie wired ones that sound sort of good. I plug them in, use them, de-plug them. I'm not an audiophile and don't care to be one. A 3.5 mm jack is useful for my needs and I will choose a phone that has one, for as long as they exist.

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't see why I should have to manage another battery driven device just to hear sound. I have Bluetooth headphones that sound amazing and frankly I barely use them over the cheapie wired ones that sound sort of good. I plug them in, use them, de-plug them. I'm not an audiophile and don't care to be one. A 3.5 mm jack is useful for my needs and I will choose a phone that has one, for as long as they exist.
This might seem like a smart aleck response but I promise it's not...

If u don't care for great audio than why consider a phone that focus a lot on audio?

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

What do you mean another battery driven device. The headphones nor the adapter have a battery.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
What do you mean another battery driven device. The headphones nor the adapter have a battery.

Most of the bluetooth headphones, especially the noise cancellation ones, will need to be charged.

If that is not what someone wants, then they could choose a different bluetooth headset or just use the provided adapter.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
But if u use that you won't get the better sound from using the HTC adapter with the dedicated DAC
I don't think theres any audio difference between using either adapter. The pins using audio on each should be the same. I was just trying to see if theres an adaptors that could utilize the charging portions of the jack too...

Kilrahi

May 23, 2017
Visit site
What is the supposed advantage to LOSING the adapter?

Clearly there are people who dislike losing it (I'm one of them). There's no way to straight faced claim that a dongle is better than a built in port. So what is the pro of losing the port in the first place?

tattedup

Feb 10, 2017
Visit site
What is the supposed advantage to LOSING the adapter?

Clearly there are people who dislike losing it (I'm one of them). There's no way to straight faced claim that a dongle is better than a built in port. So what is the pro of losing the port in the first place?

This is the main issue I feel. I use bluetooth headphones but sometimes they aren't charged or it's just easier to plug in a jack that go through the connection process. It's not a deal breaker but it isn't a step forward either.

Ranny99

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
So the dac is built into the headphones like the iPhone?

Is it likely that higher quality adaptors will become available in the future?

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't think theres any audio difference between using either adapter. The pins using audio on each should be the same. I was just trying to see if theres an adaptors that could utilize the charging portions of the jack too...
I must've heard wrong... The adapter that comes with it has its own DAC and pretty much will only work with the u11 even tho it is usb-c...

I thought that was one of their talking points so ppl will know it might be a little of inconvenience but you still get the better HTC audio quality when you use it

citronbull

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
For most people, having to worry about another to charge is an issue. For me, I have nice mid priced RBH earbuds that go well with the quad DAC on my LG V20.

May 22, 2017
Visit site
It's an inconvenience since its one less thing you need to keep charged. You also don't have to worry about weird cut outs that sometimes happen with wireless audio (probably from interference with all the other billion of waves out there). And it doesn't hurt to not have it there ready to go. Good thing there is choice out there though, so if you just have to have a headphone jack, you don't have to buy this phone.

Existence_Inc

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
This argument is the same over and over. "I don't need ______ so I don't understand why anyone else does." Good Camera on a phone, Aux jack, SD card slot, whatever. The fact is, I have several different sets of headphones, so will I need an adapter for each? What will these new adapters cost? That is an added expense that I didn't have before. And you are making an assumption that the adapter available on HTC.com is the same one that will be released with the U11. I doubt very much that it is, and expect that the new adapter to cost upwards of $25 each. The DAC isn't free.

Then there is a question of signal amplification. Does this new set up drive the same impedance headphones that my 10 does? Will I now need to buy an external amp to run my high-end cans?

The new adapter with the DAC draws power from the device, so you can't leave it plugged in while not in use. That wasn't the case for leaving headphones plugged in. On that same thought, what will the impact be on battery life? Negligible? Significant?

If BT was the future of how audio is to develop, how come the U11 doesn't use 5.0? How come it doesn't support AptX HD? What if I don't already own BT headphones? I don't. So another added expense. And those have to be charged, and over time, the battery degrades, so, there is that.

If audio over USB-C is the future, how come the audio industry doesn't offer a deluge of USB-C alternatives. Especially on the higher end? Because they would have to make one version for Lightning and one for USB-C. And the onus would be on the manufacturer to install and tune the DAC in their headphones. Variation may be SIGNIFICANT from manufacturer to manufacturer, moreso than just headphone quality.

What about people who own cars without BT connections. Buy an additional adapter or a BT rig for the car. Added Expense there. And if the car does have BT, is it AptX? AptX HD? What about signal interference? And what happens when it just doesn't work. I know this isn't obvious, but auto manufacturers are WAY behind the tech curve. I wouldn't be surprised if most cars are only BT2.1 ADP. And then there is the issue of cars having a much longer life span than phones, so as technology marches on, we are stuck with phones that don't even work with our cars in 5 years. What happens when they abandon BT for a new tech? Progress.

The question was raised in a post above, what is the BENEFIT of removing the port? Thinner device? We are at a point of ridiculously thin devices now. Not to mention, many phones are housed in bulky cases these days. Larger Battery? That isn't the case here. A larger screen on a smaller device? Not the case here. Simplified design? I don't see that here. Water proofing? Not according to Samsung, who still offers the Aux Port. Cost? Laughable. So some of us have to give up a convenience and potentially increase a cost for what benefit? I didn't think it made sense when Apple did it, and I don't think it makes sense now.

And to argue that headphones with active noise cancellation somehow improve audio, that is simply not the case. The audio signal is significantly processed and much detail can be lost in sloppy applications. It may improve the experience (especially on flights, where Bose NC headphones are extremely common) and remove noise, but it doesn't actually improve the audio.

These are the reasons it annoys me, and I find it to be an inconvenience. In the end, we will all have to face the extinction of the Aux port, but I am invested in it and I am not quite ready to go there yet. For folks like me, this will be an unwanted loss for no perceived or actual gain.

I hope this answers your questions. Feel free to flame on.

~Ex

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I just double checked, again. The DAC is in the phone. Not the adaptor. The adaptor is just a simple cable adaptor....

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I must've heard wrong... The adapter that comes with it has its own DAC and pretty much will only work with the u11 even tho it is usb-c...

I thought that was one of their talking points so ppl will know it might be a little of inconvenience but you still get the better HTC audio quality when you use it

The adaptor is just a wire adaptor. The DAC is in the phone, just like the HTC 10.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2