What's everyone's problem with lack of the 3.5 audio jack?

Bruce_Wayne8887

May 18, 2017
Visit site
Well, until a couple of minutes ago I would have argued that the earbuds have a DAC in them. There's nothing mystical about a DAC, and they can be extremely small. However, like all things, there are various degrees of quality for them. If HTC is blowing the wad on an amazing internal DAC, and then another amazing DAC in the dongle, and then another amazing DAC in the buds . . . see the problem? Sooner or later the odds of the next chip being amazing aren't very high for budgetary reason mainly.

However, discussing on this thread has caused me to read an avalanche of USB C stuff, and there is parts that support mfreeland's argument that one isn't required not because they magically don't have to convert, but because USB C apparently can transfer audio of some sort through it's non digital pins. I'm not going to claim I get it because I really don't as so far the only article I found was Android Central's excellent piece on it which I'll post after this reply since I now hit ten with this one.

Based on the article, there are some seeming drawbacks to using it this way, and perhaps that's why no one seems to be doing it. Either way, check out the article below. It's pretty thorough.
Thanks I'll check it out!

jbuck79

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm torn. I realize that digital is the future. But I'm worried about the lack of choices in the USB-C headphones space. I'd rather not use a dongle. Also, I sit at my desk all day and listen to music while my phone is plugged into the charger. I know I could just charge the phone for a few minutes while I'm not listening to music, but it would definitely be an adjustment. Wireless charging would have been a nice addition. That would solve the headphones/charging dilemma.

I would be on board if really good USB-C headphones choices came out and/or people started making their own dongles with audiophile DACs built in.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm torn. I realize that digital is the future. But I'm worried about the lack of choices in the USB-C headphones space. I'd rather not use a dongle. Also, I sit at my desk all day and listen to music while my phone is plugged into the charger. I know I could just charge the phone for a few minutes while I'm not listening to music, but it would definitely be an adjustment. Wireless charging would have been a nice addition. That would solve the headphones/charging dilemma.

I would be on board if really good USB-C headphones choices came out and/or people started making their own dongles with audiophile DACs built in.

You have a great point about wireless charging. Hopefully HTC'S next iteration will incorporate something to make this gap a little bit easier.

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I think for many it's about choice & options. I don't know anyone that reacts well to someone taking away an option (even if you don't use it it's there if you want to) In my case, I happen to use both a BT earbud and wired headphones. Even if i was using qi charging it would be an issue for me while I am out and about. but that's my personal set of needs/desires. (I use the same set of 3.5mm headphones across several devices)

Cheers,
BR

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, here's my perspective.

I have a pair of G430s from Logitech. They work really well still and I don't have plans to shell out for a wireless replacement.

HTC does provide a dongle, and like everyone else, I would likely keep it attached to my headphones.

But my questions are these;

• What benefit does moving to a proprietary form of USB-C audio bring? Sure, noise-cancellation and audio profiles are one thing, but an XPERIA Z2 also had noise-cancellation over a 3.5mm jack while a V20 can adjust its sound profile based on the type of headphones connected.
  • USB-C is still a new standard. Will USB-C headphones become more mainstream? I have yet to see one in the wild.
  • Charging while plugging them in? I still have yet to find a good splitter that will do the job well.

There's just some question marks over this. I just don't see any tangible benefit right now on killing the headphone jack. Every benefit that it claims to provide is just something I've seen somebody else do before with the jack. I just don't get it. Also worth noting that on the 4th-gen iPod Shuffle, you transfer music files through a 3.5mm jack.

I know somebody is going to get me up in arms over what I just said, so I'll need to say this. I own a Moto Z. That has no headphone jack. So I've lived #donglelyfe2k16

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Not going to miss the 3.5 hole. The times I wan't to go wired I prefer the cable, whatever the input, to be at the bottom of the phone.

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I have a 7+. It's absolutely a non issue. People who are all "no jack no buy!!" have never even experienced it.

You connect the dongle to your headphones​. Keep it connected as if it's part of the headphones themselves. There, I solved the riddle. If you switch between 8 different pairs daily, then buy a different phone I guess.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I have a 7+. It's absolutely a non issue. People who are all "no jack no buy!!" have never even experienced it.

You connect the dongle to your headphones​. Keep it connected as if it's part of the headphones themselves. There, I solved the riddle. If you switch between 8 different pairs daily, then buy a different phone I guess.
I wouldn't say it's a non-issue.

People still don't like the move and after experiencing it with the Moto Z, I can see why.

I can't recall how many times I wanted to borrow my friend's headphones, and then remembering that I left the dongle connected to my usual pair, which usually lives at home.

There's also the issue of charging while using headphones. Apple already has that figured out, whether it's through a splitter, a dock or a case which has a headphone jack and charging port. On USB-C, we don't have those yet, at least none that actually work.

Kilrahi

May 23, 2017
Visit site
I wouldn't say it's a non-issue.

People still don't like the move and after experiencing it with the Moto Z, I can see why.

I can't recall how many times I wanted to borrow my friend's headphones, and then remembering that I left the dongle connected to my usual pair, which usually lives at home.

There's also the issue of charging while using headphones. Apple already has that figured out, whether it's through a splitter, a dock or a case which has a headphone jack and charging port. On USB-C, we don't have those yet, at least none that actually work.

Kind of as you pointed out, at the moment the biggest problem is simply this: WHY IN BLAZES REMOVE IT?

Apple did it, but Apple regularly does stuff just to be annoying claiming it's brilliant. Sometimes it is, sometimes it's not.

Plenty of other phone manufacturers have proved you can KEEP it and have high music quality (LG V20), keep it and have it be water proof (Samsung) . . . so what are we accomplishing by nuking it?

It felt like HTC just wanted to be as cool as Apple.

huungryshark

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
better sound quality. no battery.

Nothing beats cable and that Quad HIFI DAC amp of my LG V20 designed by B&O is the BOMB !!! Firering on all cylinders with Headsets > 50 Ohms

you all are only using toys :p

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Two relative biggies IMO

1. One less thing to keep tabs with- real bummer if traveling and forget the adapter. No such issue with 3.5 jack.

2. Can't charge the device at same time.

I do not get the removal, since by not having it you reduce the consumer base that will buy the device (why not include it?). Apple users are usually bound to their ecosystem, so no apples to Apples comparison there. iSheep ;)

In spite of this, it still does not take away the U11 is a kick a$$ device.

Last edited:

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
better sound quality. no battery.

Nothing beats cable and that Quad HIFI DAC amp of my LG V20 designed by B&O is the BOMB !!! Firering on all cylinders with Headsets > 50 Ohms

you all are only using toys :p

The problem is that nobody knows when LG is going to take the USB C route and depart from the 3.5mm jack. It is bound to happen. I will not be surprised if that happens with LG V30.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
After arguing this, I now know why they are doing away with the headphone jack.

The reason is 💰 ....... It's collusion as well.

Without it,you are forced to stream or download music,and everyone makes more money.

Even though the capabilities to receive OTA radio is there,you have no way to utilize it.

While many don't care,or even consider FM radio relivent these days I firmly believe that it's a conspiracy to kill it off.

Mac

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I just don't get it. Can someone please explain to me why it's such a big deal. The only negative I can see is the fact that you can't charge while using the earphones. I have never charged my phone while using the earphones but can see where others may want to do both. The benefits outweigh the negatives for me. From someone I trust who has had a test U11 for a while has said the sound through the included earphones is the best he has ever heard. He said the sound is better than the HTC 10 and the Samsung S8. In fact he said the there is no comparison between the U11 and the S8. They are noise cancelling earphones. It comes with an adapter​ for use with 3.5 earphones. I just don't get it.

Because it's incredibly stupid to have to carry around a dongle to use a 3.5mm jack. Those dongles get lost, forgotten, and are otherwise a PITA to use.

I don't understand why manufacturers have to get rid of 3.5mm jacks when the market isn't ready for their removal. And the mental gymnastics to justify this removal is astounding.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Because it's incredibly stupid to have to carry around a dongle to use a 3.5mm jack. Those dongles get lost, forgotten, and are otherwise a PITA to use.

I don't understand why manufacturers have to get rid of 3.5mm jacks when the market isn't ready for their removal. And the mental gymnastics to justify this removal is astounding.

A key as reviews and tech reporters mention is the lack of the jack reduces the consumer base that would buy the device. Constraining sales makes no sense. Apple is a captive audience and no option, so not same. Motorola s hurting themselves as well.

HTC also tried to push the USB connection for headphones with the G1 and one or two devices after that. They quickly changed course back to 3.5 then. I guess HTC hopes people lose the DAC adapter and buy another one ;) Guess I'm joking about that...

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Some people don't have bluetooth for audio playback, or they have issues with bluetooth cutting in and out.

In addition, Bluetooth sound quality in a car is not as good as a wired source. It may be good enough for most consumers but there is a definitive difference in sound and if you can't hear it, you're probably not listening close enough.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I understand that. What HTC did was give you drastically improved audio over USB C. The 3.5 jack has its limits. Just like the old CRT TV's had their limits. That's why we have the new wide screen HD TV's. For many it was a big inconvenience because wide screen TV's wouldn't fit in their TV cabinet or someplace else. But people adjusted because they wanted better quality. Well I want better audio and the only way to get it is with change. I welcome the change.

From records to reel to reel= change
From reel to reel to 8 track= change
From 8 track to cassette= change
From cassette to CD= change
From CDs to digital music= change

All for the better and all had an inconvenience attached to them. Inconveniences​ may have included buying an entire new album collection, new amps, new players, entire new sound system, cables and ADAPTERS.

This is part I not getting. One little adapter. Really. When people started buying HD TV's they had to buy component cables, HDMI cables and DVI cables at very expensive price. Some as much as$150. But I never heard anyone complain.

Now HTC gives you a better audio experience and gives you the adapter and people b***h. I just don't get.

If you would be so kind, would you please explain how the USB connection gives you better sound than a 3.5 audio jack? Secondly, since you are using an adaptor you still end up with 3.5 audio jack in the line... So if there limitations to a 3.5 jack then they would still exist.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I plugged my USB-C to 3.5mm adaptor in last night and a window popped up saying it was going to update it's software, and don't unplug it. It then it took about 30 seconds to install the update. I think the audio from this DAC sounds really good also. On par with my M10.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
If you would be so kind, would you please explain how the USB connection gives you better sound than a 3.5 audio jack? Secondly, since you are using an adaptor you still end up with 3.5 audio jack in the line... So if there limitations to a 3.5 jack then they would still exist.

Not to mention comparing media changes through time, to the method used to listen to media is a tad facetious. All HTC did was constrain sales by not having it. Apple is a captive audience, so not same thing there either. Not seeing how having to keep tabs with another item and being unable to charge same time as an option are positives for any user's mind except iSheep.