Will the HTC U 11 support Daydream View?

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone heard if the U11 will support Daydream View? I'd love to get one, but it of course needs to be supported on the U11.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
re:

Unfortunately it does not.... (from The Verge)

HTC has arguably produced a Daydream-ready phone, since it built Google’s Pixel and Pixel XL, where the platform officially launched last fall. It hasn’t added the feature to its self-branded devices, though, including the HTC U 11 that was released today — and uses Super LCD instead of OLED. “We don't currently have any HTC-branded phones announced or on the market that support Daydream,” a spokesperson told The Verge, who did not say whether future support was in the works.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Daydream doesn't currently support phones with LCD screens because the performance of the panels isn't up to speed (literally) with what AMOLED can do.

Joshua_Muldoon

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, LCD's don't support a high enough refresh rate for daydream, so only AMOLED's (or just OLED's for that matter) will work until there is a major breakthrough in screens.

pkcable

Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You can hack it to work, BUT as folks have pointed out there is a VERY good reason Google choose not to support those phones! There's a standalone Daydream coming, OR you can get a Daydream phone such as the Pixel, Moto Z, Huawei Mate 9 Pro, or ZTE Axon 7. OR you can go Samsung GearVR and get one of the Samsung phones that support it, such as the S8. :)

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
You can hack it to work, BUT as folks have pointed out there is a VERY good reason Google choose not to support those phones! There's a standalone Daydream coming, OR you can get a Daydream phone such as the Pixel, Moto Z, Huawei Mate 9 Pro, or ZTE Axon 7. OR you can go Samsung GearVR and get one of the Samsung phones that support it, such as the S8. :)
I'll never own another Samsung phone...... I'll just wait for the standalone daydream

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Right now, the S8 does not support Daydream.

pkcable

Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Right now, the S8 does not support Daydream.

I was actually giving the S8 as an example of a Samsung phone that supports the GearVR, but now that you mention it the S8 is expected to support Daydream too with a software update, soon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma