Simplified How-To Root your EVO (No ROM directions)

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Full credit and apologies to koopakid08... This guide is completely ripped off of his from here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...ot-rom-your-htc-evo-v-4g-htcdev-fastboot.html

This, however, is a simplified guide ONLY for rooting your HTC EVO 3D on Virgin and assumes you know how to navigate your way around Windows, including using the Command Prompt.

---

Disclaimer: YOU are responsible for everything you do to your phone. THIS IS ALL AT YOUR OWN RISK!

THIS WILL WIPE EVERYTHING

Please make any/all necessary backups before proceeding.

Unlocking the bootloader wipes EVERYTHING. You cannot root the EVO without losing all of your data.

---

1. Install the HTC EVO drivers and Android ADB Software

HTC Sync: HTC Sync

Mini SDK: http://androidforums.com/faqs/443072-adb-guide-updated-12-05-2011-a.html

Install HTC Sync to get drivers on your system, extract MiniSDK to C:\sdk-tools

2. Download TeamWin Recovery and Download Superuser/Rooter.

TeamWin Recovery: TeamWin Projects - TeamWin Recovery Project (twrp) | TeamWin

SuperUser: http://downloads.androidsu.com/superuser/Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip

Rename the file 'recovery-twrp-shooter-1.1.1.img' to 'recovery.img'. Place this file in your C:\sdk-tools folder.

Copy Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip to the root of the SD card on your phone.

Is Recovery needed? Yes. TeamWin Recovery will be required in order to be able to update the phone with third party (non-official) signed patches.

I stuck with using v1.1.1 because it's mature and stable. Feel free to use TWRP 2.0 if you desire.

3. Unlocking the phone with HTC Dev

Disable Fast Boot: Settings > Power > Uncheck "Fast Boot"

Enable USB Debugging: Settings > Applications > Development and check USB Debugging

Connect your phone to your computer with the MicroUSB cable that came with it. DO NOT plug it into a USB3 port. Leave the phone plugged into the computer the entire time.

Restart the Phone using ADB: Open a Command Prompt Window, go to C:\sdk-tools and type "adb reboot bootloader"

After your phone reboots, it should be in a white background screen with red text that says "FASTBOOT USB"

Type the following on your PC: "fastboot oem get_identifier_token"

A screen like this should pop up:

infoimage.png

Copy everything (using the mouse) and paste it into Notepad.

Edit out everything in Notepad EXCEPT for the highlighted parts.

Go to: HTCdev - Unlock Bootloader

Sign up, skip ahead through a lot of the screens (it will walk you through the processes you already went through), and when asked for your token, paste the edited contents from Notepad to get your unlock binary.

It will be a file called unlock_code.bin that will be emailed to you.

Once you get it, save it and put it in C:\sdk-tools

Back in the command prompt window, type "fastboot flash unlocktoken unlock_code.bin"

Your phone should reboot and give you an "*** UNLOCKED ***" header at the top.

4. Install Recovery

You will need to repeat some previous steps because Unlocking your phone effectively did a factory reset.

Disable Fast Boot: Settings > Power > Uncheck "Fast Boot"

Enable USB Debugging: Settings > Developer options > and check USB Debugging

Restart the Phone using ADB: Go to your Command Prompt Window and type "adb reboot bootloader"

After your phone reboots, it should be in a white background screen with red text that says "FASTBOOT USB"

In the command prompt, type: "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"

Once that has completed, type: "fastboot boot recovery.img"

You will now boot into TWRP Recovery.

5. Back up EVERYTHING.

Use the Volume Keys and Power Button to highlight and select menu options... and I'd just make a backup copy of everything just to be safe. The backups are stored on your SD Card.

6. Flash Superuser/Root

Once you have made your backup, hit the back button on your phone.

From here, go to the Wipe menu.

Wipe Cache, Wipe Dalvik Cache.

Hit back button on your phone.

Select "Choose Zip"

Select "Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip"

Apply patch and you're done.

Last edited:
Reactions: twin prime

Robin Rothschild

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Since this is only a Root and not an installation of a ROM, I assume your directions keep the data on the phone intact. Is that correct or will I have to reinstall apps/restore data after the root? It looks like you only cleared the cache and Dalvik cache, so it seems everything remains intact. I would still do a backup, but I was wondering how much work I would have after the root.

Thanks.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Since this is only a Root and not an installation of a ROM, I assume your directions keep the data on the phone intact. Is that correct or will I have to reinstall apps/restore data after the root? It looks like you only cleared the cache and Dalvik cache, so it seems everything remains intact. I would still do a backup, but I was wondering how much work I would have after the root.

Thanks.

Unlocking the bootloader wipes all data you cannot root or Rom without losing all of your data.

Sent from my HTC Evo V 4G

Reactions: twelfth

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
My USB Debugging on my Evo V is under Settings > Developer options. Why is my phone different than yours? Different stock ROM?

Yeah, that was a mistake in the directions based on 2.x System menu options where in ICS on the EVO it's under System > Developer Options. Fixed. Thanks.

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Used the alternative ADB install - had to move some folders around as my sdk folders were not the same as yours - but the instructions themselves were fantastic.

In the past I had only played the one-click root game - this was cool

Thanks again!!

Shinbo

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
i'm having difficulty sorry, but i'm using windows 8 release preview and wanted to see if i could get into C:\sdk-tools from cmd prompt. i'm not having indication that its on C. do i have to have usb connect to phone or im i missing something i get this in c:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.8400]
(c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Shawn>sdk-tools
'sdk-tools' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Shawn>C:\sdk-tools
'C:\sdk-tools' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

C:\Users\Shawn>

in explore tho i have folder that i extracted mini sdk to so i'm timid on the process

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i'm having difficulty sorry, but i'm using windows 8 release preview and wanted to see if i could get into C:\sdk-tools from cmd prompt. i'm not having indication that its on C. do i have to have usb connect to phone or im i missing something i get this in c:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.8400]
(c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Shawn>sdk-tools

C:\Users\Shawn>C:\sdk-tools
'C:\sdk-tools' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

C:\Users\Shawn>

in explore tho i have folder that i extracted mini sdk to so i'm timid on the process

You need to use the "cd" command to "c"hange "d"irectory to c:\sdk-tools.

This is a step where if you don't know how to navigate through the Command Prompt, I would recommend that you not bother attempting to root your phone at all.

stevenb924

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Please help asap. I'm trying to flash the recovery image and I keep getting the following after I type "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"

error: cannot load 'recovery.img'

dschlemmer318

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Is there a guide for unrooting. All I can find is for the sprint evo 3d.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

dustin83

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I keep getting this error.
Error Code: Invalid Bootloader Token Length.
Error Reason: The submitted Token appears to be the wrong length and won't work
I already followed this instructions on my wife's phone without any issues. I have pasted the token into HTC Dev website like 5 time and keep getting this error. I even made sure it was completely correct because the error message reads like the error is me not pasting all of the hashes but its right. Does anyone know what to do?

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I keep getting this error.
Error Code: Invalid Bootloader Token Length.
Error Reason: The submitted Token appears to be the wrong length and won't work
I already followed this instructions on my wife's phone without any issues. I have pasted the token into HTC Dev website like 5 time and keep getting this error. I even made sure it was completely correct because the error message reads like the error is me not pasting all of the hashes but its right. Does anyone know what to do?

Check to make sure you don't have any phantom spaces or linefeeds when you paste the token key to their website.

whbisondtr

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
what am i doing wrong?? ive installed everything, i used the alternative method for the sdk but coming up with this:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Drew R>cd C:
C:\Users\Drew R

C:\Users\Drew R>cd C:\sdk-tools
The system cannot find the path specified.

C:\Users\Drew R>cd C:\SDK-tools

C:\Users\Drew R>sdk-tools

C:\Users\Drew R>c:\sdk-tools
'c:\sdk-tools' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

no i dont know much about cmds but i want/need to get this rooted!! some help please... thanks

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
what am i doing wrong?? ive installed everything, i used the alternative method for the sdk but coming up with this:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Drew R>cd C:
C:\Users\Drew R

C:\Users\Drew R>cd C:\SDK-tools

C:\Users\Drew R>sdk-tools

C:\Users\Drew R>c:\sdk-tools
'c:\sdk-tools' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

no i dont know much about cmds but i want/need to get this rooted!! some help please... thanks

Where did you extract the mini sdk? You need to extract it to C:\ or you need to just cd to the place you already extracted it.

An easy way to do this is to find sdk tools folder you extracted, go into the folder, click on the file path in top (It looks the address bar of a browser but has the path to the folder you are in) and copy the file path.

Then go to the command line, type cd the right click and paste, hit enter.

Now continue with the rest of the guide.

Sent from my HTC Evo V 4G

whbisondtr

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
i used the all in one download and put it on C:, but i am also having problems with it finding the java development.. i did the path for the special variables and not working. im using a new laptop so not sure if this is the problem?? if someone can give me the directlink to the java download i need, that would be highly appreciated!! Iam running windows 7..

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i used the all in one download and put it on C:, but i am also having problems with it finding the java development.. i did the path for the special variables and not working. im using a new laptop so not sure if this is the problem?? if someone can give me the directlink to the java download i need, that would be highly appreciated!! Iam running windows 7..

Any Java will work. Adding the path for Java has to be exact and correctly done.

My computer > Open Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > Environment Variables > Path > ;c:\correct path to java\bin;

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995