Safe to remove apps

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Don't remove apps. With ICS you can just view all apps under Settings > Apps and disable the ones you don't want showing up in your app drawer. Much safer.

Because of Sense, however, disabling just enough of the right kind of apps (still trying to figure out which) will completely break your lockscreen. You turn your phone on and all you get is a black screen. Hitting home doesn't bring up your launcher. Gotta expand your notification bar, run an app that has already been run and then back out of it to get your launcher back.

This is what I have disabled so far without any issues at all:

airG Chat
Android Live Wallpapers
Bookmark Widget
Bubbles
Calculator
Calculator Widget
Calendar
Calendar Widget
com.android.wallpaper.holospiral
Connected Media
Dock Mode
DRM Protected Content Storage
Face Unlock
Facebook
Facebook for HTC Sense
Facebook Chat Widget
Fb Chat
Flickr
Friend Stream
Friend Stream (there's two on mine)
Friend Stream Widget
Gmail
Google Play Movies
Google Search
Google Text-to-Speech Engine
Google+
HTC Hub Widget
HTC Sense Live Wallpaper
HTC Slide Show Wallpaper
Internet (Sense Browser)
JETCET PRINT
JETCET PRINT Rsources
Magic Smoke Wallpapers
Mail
Mail Widget
Maps
Media Share
Music
Music Enhancer
Music Visualization Wallpapers
Music Widget
My Shelf
News
News Widget
Phase Beam
Photo Widget
Picasa Web Albums
Polaris Office
Power Dashboard
Profile Widget
Ringtone Widget
Smith
Sound Set
Streak live wallpaper
Street View
Task Widget
Tasks
Transfer
Uninstall_LinkedIn_FSPlugin
Virgin Mobile Live
Voice Dailer
Voice Search
Watch (Disabling watch DOES NOT break the ability to watch videos. Even 3D videos.)
Watch Widget
Weather (With Sun)
Weather (Picture Frame)
Weather (Generic Android Icon)
Weather Provider
Weather Widget

Notes:

• Disabling the Weather and News items does not break the ability to view weather and news via News & Weather, aka GenieWidget.apk
  • There are a number of items that cannot be disabled within ICS without root. Most of these should be left alone. (Eg: Activation, BrcmBluetoothServices, etc)
  • Gallery likely has to be kept if you ever wish to view 3D Photos. Opening 3D pictures in another app like QuickPic DOES NOT switch the screen to 3D mode.
  • Using a third party explorer app (eg Explorer/Root Explorer, OI File Manager, etc..) to browse to videos will bring up a prompt to open the file in a Video player even if you disable Watch. There is a built in video player that supports 3D mode that has no app icon.

Last edited:

FybrOptx

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses twelfth and Bigtuna00. I have gone through and disabled the apps. I am not sure I gained any space back. I might flash a new ROM in the next week or so since I backed this one up when I rooted it.

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses twelfth and Bigtuna00. I have gone through and disabled the apps. I am not sure I gained any space back. I might flash a new ROM in the next week or so since I backed this one up when I rooted it.

You'll never gain user space for removing or disabling apps stored in /system/app

It's normally read only space and you'd need to use root to put files there anyway. The userspace is fixed via partitioning. Removing stuff from /system does free up space partitioned elsewhere but it's not available to you as a normal user anyway.

I disable apps to just have less stuff running in the background.

Last edited:

FybrOptx

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks SiRMArlon. Installed it last night. Seems to run much smoother. Also gave me an excuse to (re)review the apps I had installed and find what I did and did not want to keep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez