How to Root/ROM Your HTC Evo V 4g with HTCdev and Fastboot

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
C:\sdk-tools>fastboot
'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

I'm on Windows XP Home Edition 2002.... Any ideas?

Did you properly extract the MiniSDK to C:\sdk-tools? If you did, there should be files inside "sdk-tools" on the C drive.

See attachment.

cselspin0

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Worked like a charm. Used cwm 4.0.1.4 instead only because it was from sprint evo 3d thread.
The su zip was 2.3xx zip which didn't work on ics. The su zip on this thread worked . Probably not going to custom rom yet only because stock from vm fairly bloat free. Thanx for your guide...still s on but makes no difference...only gripe with cwm is hard to read ui.

EvolNtent

May 19, 2012
Visit site
I have the phone unlocked, but and I am trying to install the recovery, and the phone disconnects from the computer. ADB cant find the phone not sure what to do.. I tried to install TWRP from goomanager, and that doesnt seem to install either way. What a headache.. Any advice on why the device disconnects.
I guess 8th time is a charm finally got it to load the recovery... Thanks for the tutorial..

Last edited:

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i cant get sdk tools to run in cmd prompt
what could i be doing wrong?

"sdk tools" is not an application. "fastboot" and "adb", however, are applications you run in the command prompt.

Please don't attempt to root your phone if you're unable to distinguish the difference between an archive (zip file) and an application (exe)

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Use Google Chrome as your browser. The HTC site is a pain in the a** with most other browsers.

Oddly enough... I had to stop using Chrome on the HTC site because button presses on some screens didn't work at all. What fixed it? Firing up my old copy of Opera 9.0 ;) Heh...

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
If I just skip the part where you root with HTC dev will anything go wrong?

If you skip the "HTC Dev" section, your phone will not have Recovery and you cannot flash the SuperUser/Rooter package.

All steps are mandatory. If you do not understand them, don't bother rooting.

superchichi

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
will I be able to input any prl I want (after the rooting?) or how do I go about changing the PRL ? I was under the impression of having to root in order to do this (as I have done in the past).
Thank you so much in advance!!

superchichi

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I basically am only interested in being able to get faster internet speeds by either changing the PRL or the radio.
If anybody can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
O:)

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
will I be able to input any prl I want (after the rooting?) or how do I go about changing the PRL ? I was under the impression of having to root in order to do this (as I have done in the past).
Thank you so much in advance!!

No. The PRL cannot be changed. Only updated through the Settings menu.

Reactions: superchichi

superchichi

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
SO, twelfth, pardon my ignorance but, in your view, what is the advantage of having the device rooted? (I ask because I have only rooted in the past to get rid of bloatware and to increase internet speeds so I am ignorant as to what else can I get from a rooted device...)
Thank you for your answer by the way....
:D

cbucz24

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
No. The PRL cannot be changed. Only updated through the Settings menu.

The PRL has nothing to do with internet speeds. Its your preferred roaming list. An I'm sorry, the prl can be changed to anything you want. If your still with sprint though, you may want to leave it. They monitor what you do, towers you access, etc. If you changed it to another CDMA number other than sprint you could get busted.
I'm on virgin, I've changed mine a few times.
The only thing it may do is help connect to better towers. The radio is what controls your actual reception. And yes, that can also be updated. Its a long process and can brick your phone if done wrong.
Do a search, changing prl and radio are easy to find directions for...
As far as updating through menus, be careful. It can remove root if you update the wrong items

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
SO, twelfth, pardon my ignorance but, in your view, what is the advantage of having the device rooted? (I ask because I have only rooted in the past to get rid of bloatware and to increase internet speeds so I am ignorant as to what else can I get from a rooted device...)
Thank you for your answer by the way....
:D

LBE Privacy Guard. HOSTS adblocking. Titanium Backup. System event trigger list modifications. Removing bloatware. Replacing the boot animation and startup sounds. Adding custom ringtones. Plenty of reasons to root.

The PRL has nothing to do with internet speeds. Its your preferred roaming list. An I'm sorry, the prl can be changed to anything you want. If your still with sprint though, you may want to leave it. They monitor what you do, towers you access, etc. If you changed it to another CDMA number other than sprint you could get busted.
I'm on virgin, I've changed mine a few times.
The only thing it may do is help connect to better towers. The radio is what controls your actual reception. And yes, that can also be updated. Its a long process and can brick your phone if done wrong.
Do a search, changing prl and radio are easy to find directions for...
As far as updating through menus, be careful. It can remove root if you update the wrong items

While all of this is technically correct, modifying the PRL for a Pay As You Go service that has no roaming is a bit self defeating. You'll still only be using Sprint towers and when the closest tower is at capacity and the next closest tower means no signal half the time... You won't be doing yourself any favors.

Updating PRL through Settings will not undo root. Doing a factory reset through settings will, however.

cbucz24

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
LBE Privacy Guard. HOSTS adblocking. Titanium Backup. System event trigger list modifications. Removing bloatware. Replacing the boot animation and startup sounds. Adding custom ringtones. Plenty of reasons to root.

While all of this is technically correct, modifying the PRL for a Pay As You Go service that has no roaming is a bit self defeating. You'll still only be using Sprint towers and when the closest tower is at capacity and the next closest tower means no signal half the time... You won't be doing yourself any favors.

Updating PRL through Settings will not undo root. Doing a factory reset through settings will, however.

Yea that's true. IMO, virgin mobile is extremely behind on prl updates as sprint does them every few months.
An changing mine to theirs only helped in a few areas. At home, nothing but at work 20db gain.
I also had to disable roaming. Not sure how long VM would allow me to do that before they termed my acct.
Also wouldn't any software updates unroot your phone as well?
My wives phone was rooted and her son did an update to a 3.5 sense that HTC sent out. An it lost root.
Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

ryanthurman92

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Getting so annoyed... I cannot get a rom to go on this phone... I get stuck at the HTC screen. Everything was wiped... what am i doing wrong? I am trying to install mobster 1.0.6

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Getting so annoyed... I cannot get a rom to go on this phone... I get stuck at the HTC screen. Everything was wiped... what am i doing wrong? I am trying to install mobster 1.0.6

These directions will help you root and install a ROM... but ONLY if the ROM uses the exact same kernel as Stock ICS that the EVO 3D came with. You need S-OFF to be able to replace the kernel. Mobster has directions for users who are S-ON.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance