Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 212
Like Tree22Likes
  1. #51  
    twelfth's Avatar

    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

    Default Re: How to Root/ROM Your HTC Evo V 4g with HTCdev and Fastboot

    Quote Originally Posted by sally2dix69 View Post
    If I just skip the part where you root with HTC dev will anything go wrong?
    If you skip the "HTC Dev" section, your phone will not have Recovery and you cannot flash the SuperUser/Rooter package.

    All steps are mandatory. If you do not understand them, don't bother rooting.
  2. #52  
    superchichi's Avatar

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

    Default Re: How to Root/ROM Your HTC Evo V 4g with HTCdev and Fastboot

    will I be able to input any prl I want (after the rooting?) or how do I go about changing the PRL ? I was under the impression of having to root in order to do this (as I have done in the past).
    Thank you so much in advance!!
  3. #53  
    superchichi's Avatar

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

    Default Re: How to Root/ROM Your HTC Evo V 4g with HTCdev and Fastboot

    I basically am only interested in being able to get faster internet speeds by either changing the PRL or the radio.
    If anybody can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
  4. #54  
    twelfth's Avatar

    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

    Default Re: How to Root/ROM Your HTC Evo V 4g with HTCdev and Fastboot

    Quote Originally Posted by superchichi View Post
    will I be able to input any prl I want (after the rooting?) or how do I go about changing the PRL ? I was under the impression of having to root in order to do this (as I have done in the past).
    Thank you so much in advance!!
    No. The PRL cannot be changed. Only updated through the Settings menu.
    Thanked by:
  5. #55  
    superchichi's Avatar

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

    Default Re: How to Root/ROM Your HTC Evo V 4g with HTCdev and Fastboot

    SO, twelfth, pardon my ignorance but, in your view, what is the advantage of having the device rooted? (I ask because I have only rooted in the past to get rid of bloatware and to increase internet speeds so I am ignorant as to what else can I get from a rooted device...)
    Thank you for your answer by the way....
  6. #56  
    cbucz24's Avatar

    Posts
    188 Posts
    ROM
    CAI & Quattrimus ICS

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twelfth View Post
    No. The PRL cannot be changed. Only updated through the Settings menu.
    The PRL has nothing to do with internet speeds. Its your preferred roaming list. An I'm sorry, the prl can be changed to anything you want. If your still with sprint though, you may want to leave it. They monitor what you do, towers you access, etc. If you changed it to another CDMA number other than sprint you could get busted.
    I'm on virgin, I've changed mine a few times.
    The only thing it may do is help connect to better towers. The radio is what controls your actual reception. And yes, that can also be updated. Its a long process and can brick your phone if done wrong.
    Do a search, changing prl and radio are easy to find directions for...
    As far as updating through menus, be careful. It can remove root if you update the wrong items

    Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
  7. #57  
    twelfth's Avatar

    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

    Default Re: How to Root/ROM Your HTC Evo V 4g with HTCdev and Fastboot

    Quote Originally Posted by superchichi View Post
    SO, twelfth, pardon my ignorance but, in your view, what is the advantage of having the device rooted? (I ask because I have only rooted in the past to get rid of bloatware and to increase internet speeds so I am ignorant as to what else can I get from a rooted device...)
    Thank you for your answer by the way....
    LBE Privacy Guard. HOSTS adblocking. Titanium Backup. System event trigger list modifications. Removing bloatware. Replacing the boot animation and startup sounds. Adding custom ringtones. Plenty of reasons to root.


    Quote Originally Posted by cbucz24 View Post
    The PRL has nothing to do with internet speeds. Its your preferred roaming list. An I'm sorry, the prl can be changed to anything you want. If your still with sprint though, you may want to leave it. They monitor what you do, towers you access, etc. If you changed it to another CDMA number other than sprint you could get busted.
    I'm on virgin, I've changed mine a few times.
    The only thing it may do is help connect to better towers. The radio is what controls your actual reception. And yes, that can also be updated. Its a long process and can brick your phone if done wrong.
    Do a search, changing prl and radio are easy to find directions for...
    As far as updating through menus, be careful. It can remove root if you update the wrong items
    While all of this is technically correct, modifying the PRL for a Pay As You Go service that has no roaming is a bit self defeating. You'll still only be using Sprint towers and when the closest tower is at capacity and the next closest tower means no signal half the time... You won't be doing yourself any favors.

    Updating PRL through Settings will not undo root. Doing a factory reset through settings will, however.
    Thanked by:
  8. #58  
    cbucz24's Avatar

    Posts
    188 Posts
    ROM
    CAI & Quattrimus ICS

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twelfth View Post
    LBE Privacy Guard. HOSTS adblocking. Titanium Backup. System event trigger list modifications. Removing bloatware. Replacing the boot animation and startup sounds. Adding custom ringtones. Plenty of reasons to root.




    While all of this is technically correct, modifying the PRL for a Pay As You Go service that has no roaming is a bit self defeating. You'll still only be using Sprint towers and when the closest tower is at capacity and the next closest tower means no signal half the time... You won't be doing yourself any favors.

    Updating PRL through Settings will not undo root. Doing a factory reset through settings will, however.
    Yea that's true. IMO, virgin mobile is extremely behind on prl updates as sprint does them every few months.
    An changing mine to theirs only helped in a few areas. At home, nothing but at work 20db gain.
    I also had to disable roaming. Not sure how long VM would allow me to do that before they termed my acct.
    Also wouldn't any software updates unroot your phone as well?
    My wives phone was rooted and her son did an update to a 3.5 sense that HTC sent out. An it lost root.
    Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums
  9. #59  
    ryanthurman92's Avatar

    Posts
    46 Posts
    ROM
    hellicious rom

    Default Re: How to Root/ROM Your HTC Evo V 4g with HTCdev and Fastboot

    Getting so annoyed... I cannot get a rom to go on this phone... I get stuck at the HTC screen. Everything was wiped... what am i doing wrong? I am trying to install mobster 1.0.6
  10. #60  
    twelfth's Avatar

    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

    Default Re: How to Root/ROM Your HTC Evo V 4g with HTCdev and Fastboot

    Quote Originally Posted by ryanthurman92 View Post
    Getting so annoyed... I cannot get a rom to go on this phone... I get stuck at the HTC screen. Everything was wiped... what am i doing wrong? I am trying to install mobster 1.0.6
    These directions will help you root and install a ROM... but ONLY if the ROM uses the exact same kernel as Stock ICS that the EVO 3D came with. You need S-OFF to be able to replace the kernel. Mobster has directions for users who are S-ON.
  11. #61  

    Default Re: How to Root/ROM Your HTC Evo V 4g with HTCdev and Fastboot

    too many steps, i'll wait for a while until the easy and one step root link comes out, the same like motorola triumph, it was very easy and simple
  12. #62  
    twelfth's Avatar

    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

    Default Re: How to Root/ROM Your HTC Evo V 4g with HTCdev and Fastboot

    Quote Originally Posted by kutayersal View Post
    too many steps, i'll wait for a while until the easy and one step root link comes out, the same like motorola triumph, it was very easy and simple
    Not gonna happen since you need to unlock the bootloader. The Triumph's bootloader was already unlocked. (They didn't even use a Motorola standard one, IIRC)

    The majority of the steps involved are ONLY to unlock the bootloader so you can apply the Superuser patch.
  13. #63  
    Revenant Ghost's Avatar

    Posts
    108 Posts
    ROM
    Mobster/Buttered Toast

    Default Re: How to Root/ROM Your HTC Evo V 4g with HTCdev and Fastboot

    Quote Originally Posted by kutayersal View Post
    too many steps, i'll wait for a while until the easy and one step root link comes out, the same like motorola triumph, it was very easy and simple
    I know how you feel. Rooting a HTC in contrast to rooting a LG Optimus V is like night and day. I found it pretty intimidating at first too. But if you read the steps over and over again, and take it one step at a time, you'll do fine.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #64  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kutayersal View Post
    too many steps, i'll wait for a while until the easy and one step root link comes out, the same like motorola triumph, it was very easy and simple
    That will most likely not ever happen. The evo 3d has been out for about a year now and this has been the same process for almost that long. If there was going to be a one click root it would have been done by now.

    Sent from my HTC Evo V 4G
    Last edited by koopakid08; 07-05-2012 at 02:02 AM.
  15. #65  

    Default Re: How to Root/ROM Your HTC Evo V 4g with HTCdev and Fastboot

    Works like a charm man thanks.
  16. #66  
    ryanthurman92's Avatar

    Posts
    46 Posts
    ROM
    hellicious rom

    Default Re: How to Root/ROM Your HTC Evo V 4g with HTCdev and Fastboot

    This also angers me that I cannot boot a kernel without doing the wire trick.. I am a bit intimidated in doing so, fearing that it may fry my expensive device which I just paid for.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #67  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ryanthurman92 View Post
    This also angers me that I cannot boot a kernel without doing the wire trick.. I am a bit intimidated in doing so, fearing that it may fry my expensive device which I just paid for.
    Edit 2: well now I'm hearing different things. I know for sure using 4EXT will allow you to flash kernels s-on I'm not entirely sure about twrp at this point. Being that there aren't currently any custom kernels this isn't a big deal right now.

    EDIT: ok it's late so I wasn't really thinking. You can install custom kernels fine through twrp. Just make sure you flash the kernel after the rom or it will be overwritten.


    Sent from my HTC Evo V 4G
    Last edited by koopakid08; 07-06-2012 at 05:18 PM.
  18. #68  

    Default Re: How to Root/ROM Your HTC Evo V 4g with HTCdev and Fastboot

    i mannage to install sdk but it doesnt recognise the command fastboot
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #69  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djsteelix View Post
    i mannage to install sdk but it doesnt recognise the command fastboot
    Did you install the full sdk or are you using the mini sdk?

    Sent from my HTC Evo V 4G
  20. #70  

    Default Re: How to Root/ROM Your HTC Evo V 4g with HTCdev and Fastboot

    Quote Originally Posted by koopakid08 View Post
    Did you install the full sdk or are you using the mini sdk?

    Sent from my HTC Evo V 4G
    I believe its mini
    I clicked on the link for the SDK guides and I followed the last method
  21. #71  

    Default Re: How to Root/ROM Your HTC Evo V 4g with HTCdev and Fastboot

    What Does rooting ur phone do for u? Benifiets? Im seriously curious cause I am Clueless...
  22. #72  

    Default Re: How to Root/ROM Your HTC Evo V 4g with HTCdev and Fastboot

    One thing rooting won't do is teach you how to use Google Search:

    Let me google that for you

  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #73  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djsteelix View Post
    I believe its mini
    I clicked on the link for the SDK guides and I followed the last method
    I think you may have installed the full sdk which is much more complicated.

    Click on the words mini sdk and use that.

    Sent from my HTC Evo V 4G
    Thanked by:
  24. #74  

    Default Re: How to Root/ROM Your HTC Evo V 4g with HTCdev and Fastboot

    Quote Originally Posted by koopakid08 View Post
    I think you may have installed the full sdk which is much more complicated.

    Click on the words mini sdk and use that.

    Sent from my HTC Evo V 4G
    Thanx I shall give it a try and see what happens
  25. #75  
    twelfth's Avatar

    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

    Default Re: How to Root/ROM Your HTC Evo V 4g with HTCdev and Fastboot

    Quote Originally Posted by bouncinb View Post
    What Does rooting ur phone do for u? Benifiets? Im seriously curious cause I am Clueless...
    If you have to ask, then you probably also lack the skill set required to root your phone properly with what is required to unlock the Evo. Don't bother trying.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions