Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    ROM

Default Re: How to Root/ROM Your HTC Evo V 4g with HTCdev and Fastboot

WOW I feel like a PC geek now LOL, OK I got it unlocked and I thought I flashed it with something but as I was reading thru this forum, I dont have a superuser app in app box so I gotta flash that part or whatever its called, I cant believe all that token stuff worked, I guess I need to get the S -OFF but Im not sure, first I gotta get this superuser app on my phone I got the big unlock it says unlocked on the white screen. So all seems right,

BIG QUESTION, which ROMs to go with it seems most of the staff picks are Gingerbread roms, (am i losing much by not using ICS or do I need to be just focusing on ICS and Jellybean roms) I thought I flashed the phone with MIUIAndroid_evo4g_2.8.10 and it seems to have more space but I dont see no supersuer stuff onhere so let me relook at video

BTW IF YOURE HAVING TROUBLE, the directory if youwatch video I think the cmd should be c:\sdk-tools\sdk-tools if you made a folder than put the folder you downloaded in that folder,

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    ROM

I didnt flash the superusr.zip I got it now, so i dont have to flash superuser everytime I change ROMS right, I thought I just flashed the odex rom and looks like the other rom and all the virgin software was still on phone, ALso still dunno if I can step back to gingerbread (or if that is even wise to do since Im in ICS) but I thought I saw a jellbean rom too so I have the phone activated so I dont want to flash a rom that will interupt that

Quote Originally Posted by dannyjoebrown View Post
    I didnt flash the superusr.zip I got it now, so i dont have to flash superuser everytime I change ROMS right, I thought I just flashed the odex rom and looks like the other rom and all the virgin software was still on phone, ALso still dunno if I can step back to gingerbread (or if that is even wise to do since Im in ICS) but I thought I saw a jellbean rom too so I have the phone activated so I dont want to flash a rom that will interupt that
    The odex rom is the stock rom. About the only difference is it has superuser. It's the same as flashing just superuser yourself while stock. Basically the odex rom is stock Rooted and flashing superuser will root your stock... You don't have to flash it every time. I've never seen a rom that it wasn't included in. Either superuser or supersu.
    As far as gingerbread roms go, you likely won't be able to flash most of them. A lot of them require different firmware and hboot versions which you can only change to if s-off.

Look at zr3d xl for a good ics rom. All of the jellybean roms out right now are a far different experience. They are AOSP roms (Android open source project) which means they don't run htc sense. They are stock Android. It is quite a change switching from sense to non sense. I'm running pacman jellybean rom right now. Was on paranoid android jellybean before that. These all require hboot 1.5 or below though. You'd have to get s-off and flash some older Firmware. It also might be beneficial to look into "fix everything by turning your evo v into an Evo 3d".

I'm not sure the rules on linking to other forums so just give that a Google search

Sent from my Evo 3D CDMA using Tapatalk 2

Im getting a "Your login information is incorrect.The existing username and/or password you submitted are not valid" whenever I try to login to HTC DEV. I've tried resetting my password twice, and it doesn't work. I am 100% sure that i'm entering it correctly, anyone know whats up?

is there a way to root the phone without using a computer??

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Collins1 View Post
    Im getting a "Your login information is incorrect.The existing username and/or password you submitted are not valid" whenever I try to login to HTC DEV. I've tried resetting my password twice, and it doesn't work. I am 100% sure that i'm entering it correctly, anyone know whats up?
    I've not seen this before. I have heard of people having issues lately but mainly connection issues. Is it possible you typed the wrong email address when signing up? Missed a letter or something? I can't remember if it makes you confirm your email address or not. Try signing up again and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay24 View Post
    is there a way to root the phone without using a computer??
    Definitely not. There is no possible way. You need command prompt and different websites to get through the rooting process. :/

ok I followed the guide and am getting stuck at the part where I am to reboot into recovery. It seemed to upload the recovery.img fine (no errors) but it end up rebooting to the white HTC screen twice and then boots into the phone..
    I do see Unlocked on the bootloader.. and I get the following for the upload of the recovery.img and reboot

Code:
    C:\sdk-tools\platform-tools>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    sending 'recovery' (5132 KB)...
    OKAY [  1.520s]
    writing 'recovery'...
    OKAY [ 10.163s]
    finished. total time: 11.685s

C:\sdk-tools\platform-tools>fastboot boot recovery.img
    downloading 'boot.img'...
    OKAY [  1.519s]
    booting...
    OKAY [  0.002s]
    finished. total time: 1.522s
    what am i doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian706 View Post
    I've not seen this before. I have heard of people having issues lately but mainly connection issues. Is it possible you typed the wrong email address when signing up? Missed a letter or something? I can't remember if it makes you confirm your email address or not. Try signing up again and see what happens.

Ok thats weird. I was 100% sure I was using the correct information, even got a password reset sent to my email and verified my account. I set up a new account and it seems to be working fine. Guess it was some kind of bug. Thanks.
    Brian706 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Passarella View Post
    ok I followed the guide and am getting stuck at the part where I am to reboot into recovery. It seemed to upload the recovery.img fine (no errors) but it end up rebooting to the white HTC screen twice and then boots into the phone..
    I do see Unlocked on the bootloader.. and I get the following for the upload of the recovery.img and reboot

Code:
    C:\sdk-tools\platform-tools>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    sending 'recovery' (5132 KB)...
    OKAY [  1.520s]
    writing 'recovery'...
    OKAY [ 10.163s]
    finished. total time: 11.685s

C:\sdk-tools\platform-tools>fastboot boot recovery.img
    downloading 'boot.img'...
    OKAY [  1.519s]
    booting...
    OKAY [  0.002s]
    finished. total time: 1.522s
    what am i doing wrong?
    It looks like you are doing everything fine. What happens if you try to boot into recovery without command prompt? Do a quick battery pull then boot into your bootloader by holding volume down +power button. Then use the volume up or down keys to navigate to recovery. Select recovery by tapping the power button.

same result

Try flashing 4ext recovery instead of twrp
    http://db.tt/4gK8W0XM

Maybe the download was Corrupt for some reason so even though it flashed its not working? You can download 4ext from my Dropbox. Either rename to recovery.img or use fastboot flash recovery 4ext_recovery.img

Thanked by:
    Flashoholic!!

ROM
    Bad Boyz Rom

Quote Originally Posted by Brian706 View Post
    Try flashing 4ext recovery instead of twrp
    http://db.tt/4gK8W0XM

Maybe the download was Corrupt for some reason so even though it flashed its not working? You can download 4ext from my Dropbox. Either rename to recovery.img or use fastboot flash recovery 4ext_recovery.img

You can also get 4EXT from the Play store which will install it for you and its worth every penny,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...51bGwsMSwyLDNd
    Thanked by:

I'll probably get the full 4ext.. found a guide that worked (used a 4ext recovery) so i'm good now
    Brian706 likes this.

im stuck on the htc screen with the red text after trying to load either 4ext recovery and the twrp recovery... help please
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #166  

Quote Originally Posted by spicaly View Post
    im stuck on the htc screen with the red text after trying to load either 4ext recovery and the twrp recovery... help please
    We need more information then that to help you. What exactly have you done so far?

Sent from my HTC Evo V 4G
    Brian706 likes this.

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

Best Rom: Mobster Version #3. Best Rom hands down. I'd like a few adjustments but... Who wouldn't?
    Quote Originally Posted by brandondonath View Post
    Does anyone have any information on any custom roms that are verified as working with this device?

There is now cm10 and aokp with working mms

Sent from my Evo V 4G using Android Central Forums

ROM
    OV Backside , MIUI 2.4.20

This is a "call" for help. Kinda. I'm not a noob, and I've already successfully rooted this phone. I even managed to get the latest VM radio update into it with no problem. I have Harmonia 3.17 running. It's my old man's baby. Now SuperSu permissions no longer work, Rom Toolbox Pro says No interactive shell. Lost Root somehow?? I've downloaded CM Superuser.zip for this phone off of xda dev and it fails to flash. wiped cache, & dalvik, and still no flash. Tried to re-flash Harmonia, but it fails. any idea buddy? If Leslie Ann is listening out there, Help girlfriend, cause I got no ideas here.

p.s. LeslieAnn's Harmonia is still the best "close to stock" rom for this phone. It's been stable till now. And no, I haven't played with Leedroid Tweaks at all. I promise!
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #170  

Quote Originally Posted by crickie View Post
    This is a "call" for help. Kinda. I'm not a noob, and I've already successfully rooted this phone. I even managed to get the latest VM radio update into it with no problem. I have Harmonia 3.17 running. It's my old man's baby. Now SuperSu permissions no longer work, Rom Toolbox Pro says No interactive shell. Lost Root somehow?? I've downloaded CM Superuser.zip for this phone off of xda dev and it fails to flash. wiped cache, & dalvik, and still no flash. Tried to re-flash Harmonia, but it fails. any idea buddy? If Leslie Ann is listening out there, Help girlfriend, cause I got no ideas here.

p.s. LeslieAnn's Harmonia is still the best "close to stock" rom for this phone. It's been stable till now. And no, I haven't played with Leedroid Tweaks at all. I promise!
    Try reflashing your recovery and then doing a compete wipe and reflash off your Rom.

Sent from my HTC Evo V 4G

so i dont understand how to extract to C:\sdl-tools.. how do i do that? and wheres the htc dev

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Quote Originally Posted by ssiebor14 View Post
    so i dont understand how to extract to C:\sdl-tools.. how do i do that? and wheres the htc dev
    Don't bother. You need, at minimum, an understanding of how Windows handles archives (double click on the ZIP) and how to use DOS prompt commands if you're going to be rooting.

And honestly... If you don't know as much as how to extract an archive, much less, copying files to another location, rooting is too dangerous for you.
    Thanked by:
    Jerry Hildenbrand likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ssiebor14 View Post
    Just extract the sdk-tools zip to c:/ on the computer. Directly to the hard drive. So the folder location would be c:\sdk-tools

Htcdev is a website http://htcdev.com/bootloader/

You have to register first. I would kindly suggest researching a little more and asking questions before starting. It's good to understand it (at least some) Before starting.

Quote Originally Posted by twelfth View Post
    Don't bother. You need, at minimum, an understanding of how Windows handles archives (double click on the ZIP) and how to use DOS prompt commands if you're going to be rooting.

And honestly... If you don't know as much as how to extract an archive, much less, copying files to another location, rooting is too dangerous for you.
    Don't forget we all started in the same place at one point. If someone is interested in rooting their device and is willing to take the steps necessary to learn how then we should do all we can to help.

Warning a person of the dangers of rooting to less experienced people is fine but making a judgement call that they can't or shouldn't be trying to learn how is not the way to best help.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Thanked by 2:
    koopakid08 and Brian706 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by twelfth View Post

I rooted my phone without having extract so that just shows you how much I can do.. all I need now is a stable rom

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Android Central Forums
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast