How to Root/ROM Your HTC Evo V 4g with HTCdev and Fastboot

sanman1185

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
If you have to ask, then you probably also lack the skill set required to root your phone properly with what is required to unlock the Evo. Don't bother trying.

Now that's not nice, everyone has to start somewhere.

I root is basically graining access to ur phone so that u can make changes to better it or if ur not careful, flub it up. To be honest tho u want to do your research on it and set up

Android sdk
Adb
HTC sync (drivers)

Before starting, I made a video on how to root our phones for those that wanna see it done. Happy rooting!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d85ViBa0cJU&list=UU6yryTwW7kzEVZuBXnT-Bgw&index=1&feature=plcp

Sent from my Rooted HTC EVO V

Hell0Jell0

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I'm completely new to Android rooting, so forgive me if I'm making a dumb mistake, but I went through and did this (minus the s-off part) and whenever I open an application requiring root access, it says that that it does not have root access. Did I do something wrong, or is there some other step I'm missing? Answers are greatly appreciated!

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I'm completely new to Android rooting, so forgive me if I'm making a dumb mistake, but I went through and did this (minus the s-off part) and whenever I open an application requiring root access, it says that that it does not have root access. Did I do something wrong, or is there some other step I'm missing? Answers are greatly appreciated!

There's no way for us to tell you what part you did wrong.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

Did you flash the su patch? Do you have an app titled superuser in your app drawer?

Sent from my HTC Evo V 4G

sanman1185

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site

Assuming u didn't flash the super user.zip or install the stock from that has it installed already. Watch the video above and see if u did those steps, its rooting using super user.zip not s-off or 4ext

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Now that's not nice, everyone has to start somewhere.

They should start by fully understanding what root is, what it means and why they shouldn't be allowed to have that kind of escalated priviledge when they don't know what they're doing.

Seriously, if Windows CMD is too difficult for you to understand... Root in Linux is far more dangerous if you screw up. This is why I tell people not to bother if they clearly do not grasp the relatively simple directions on either of the guides.

If someone is not careful enough to READ the steps AND the website when they interact with it (remember when someone didn't realise they needed to create an account?)... then they're surely not paying enough attention in the first place. A bad sign when root basically is allowing someone to open the glass box that covers the big fat red nuke button.

dschlemmer318

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Is there an unroot guide that anyone knows of? Just in case I would need it some day. All I can find is for the sprint version

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Android Central Forums

jemclemore

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I seem to have hit a snag in the process on Step 4 when you go to HTCdev.com. I have repeatedly tried to choose a device and click "Begin Unlock Bootloader" but nothing happens. Also, should I choose the HTC EVO 3D even though this phone is technically the EVO V 4G? Or choose "All Other Supported Models" in the drop-down box? :'( I was so close to finishing the process!

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I seem to have hit a snag in the process on Step 4 when you go to HTCdev.com. I have repeatedly tried to choose a device and click "Begin Unlock Bootloader" but nothing happens. Also, should I choose the HTC EVO 3D even though this phone is technically the EVO V 4G? Or choose "All Other Supported Models" in the drop-down box? :'( I was so close to finishing the process!

Try a different browser, the htc dev website sucks. It didn't work for me with Firefox or chrome, only ie... First time I had used ie in over 2 years(minus testing my website designs), it was painful.

Sent from my HTC Evo V 4G

Reactions: jemclemore

jemclemore

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks so much, you were exactly right. Internet Explorer...oh how I did not miss you.
Now to find a custom ROM. I have settled on MeanROM ICS V 2.6, any input on that one?

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so much, you were exactly right. Internet Explorer...oh how I did not miss you.
Now to find a custom ROM. I have settled on MeanROM ICS V 2.6, any input on that one?

Is MeanRom even compatible with Virgin baseband settings? I know using some Sprint roms will break SMS, among other things.

stevek28

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Just bit the bullet. No problems. But coming from rooted optimus V, wish I could simply boot into recovery. Is there such a thing for the evo v?

iam2juan

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi there!
I'm a complete noobie/idiot/ whatever... but I just purchased this phone and followed the guide to root it successfully. Is there any reason to install CyanogenMod? I am having some minor issues with how quickly the battery drains, and have read that CyanogenMod helps this?

I purchased my phone from Virgin Mobile, and have read different things regarding CyanogenMod on this phone.

Thanks for any help!

dwappo

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi there!
I'm a complete noobie/idiot/ whatever... but I just purchased this phone and followed the guide to root it successfully. Is there any reason to install CyanogenMod? I am having some minor issues with how quickly the battery drains, and have read that CyanogenMod helps this?

I purchased my phone from Virgin Mobile, and have read different things regarding CyanogenMod on this phone.

Thanks for any help!

I would go with harmonia 3

http://www.vmroms.com/index.php?topic=157.0

If you're looking for customization with some stock action (and good battery life) this is for you ^_^. Thanks to LeslieAnn :-D.

You know what they say, all toasters toast toast.

Kite-G

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I looked around on the harmonica site..
Says that it has wi-fi tether...
so does it mean it will work without having to pay $15 to VM?
and will this rooting guide and the harmonica rom work on the Evo V 4G regardless if it has Sprint logo or VM logo?
Sorry for asking, but I don't have the phone yet, so I wanted to know..

Kite-G

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
And no, im not a noob at this but I thought that maybe the 2 diffrent logos on the evo meant they have somewhat diffrent hardware..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae