How to Root/ROM Your HTC Evo V 4g with HTCdev and Fastboot

tundra2000

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't mean to bring up a 2 week old thread but i'm having trouble rooting my htc evo v 4g, i'v rooted a couple phones easy but this one kicking my butt.
I'll try to give you all the info,
I downloaded
-htc driver
-mini sdk
-TWRP 1.1.1 recovery
-SU
-Stock Rom
the sdk file is in the C: drive with the recovery.img in the sdk file too.

I did unlock my phone ( even said unlock in fastboot ) but it seem a bit off because in cmd i had to type the commands 2 time then it would work so unlocking the bootloader-DONE
Now for the part that's kicking me....flashing the recovery. I booted into fastboot through cmd the type the "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" and i get
c:\sdk-tools>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
sending 'recovery' (5132 KB)...
FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
finished. total time: 0.001s

and if i type "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img it would say
and it would be stuck saying that for idk how long and in fastboot of my phone i see a green bar on the upper right that looks to be about 90% full.
If i tried to flash the recovery on the phone it's self it will say checking PG86IMG.zip then say something like PURSING then nothing just goes back to fastboot screen, that's just with the recovery.img in a zip folder on the root of my sd card.
I'm sure i'm missing something but let me know what you think.
also my phone has the hboot 1.57

stevek28

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I'M confused. I'm rooted and have 4ext. Many videos show flashing rims with s-on. I have s-on. Can I flash new tons?

Sent from my HTC EVO V 4G using Tapatalk 2

RedBunnyJAV

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I cannot get passed one of the initial phases,...: "fastboot oem get_identifier_token"
It does reboot into the bootloader so adb works, but when I get into the bootloader it does not say fastboot usb,... it just says fastboot, that is until i move the curser uo or down,... then it changes to usb,....

I am using Windows 8 and read somewhere that THAT might be my problem,.. i dont know... ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT,....

Brian706

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
i cant flash anything in the recovery...it says md5 did not match :(

Try to download the file again. A mismatched md5 means you probably have a corrupt download. Which can be bad news depending on what you're flashing!

Sent from my Evo 3D CDMA using Tapatalk 2

Brian706

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't mean to bring up a 2 week old thread but i'm having trouble rooting my htc evo v 4g, i'v rooted a couple phones easy but this one kicking my butt.
I'll try to give you all the info,
I downloaded
-htc driver
-mini sdk
-TWRP 1.1.1 recovery
-SU
-Stock Rom
the sdk file is in the C: drive with the recovery.img in the sdk file too.

I did unlock my phone ( even said unlock in fastboot ) but it seem a bit off because in cmd i had to type the commands 2 time then it would work so unlocking the bootloader-DONE
Now for the part that's kicking me....flashing the recovery. I booted into fastboot through cmd the type the "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" and i get
FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
finished. total time: 0.001s

and if i type "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img it would say
and it would be stuck saying that for idk how long and in fastboot of my phone i see a green bar on the upper right that looks to be about 90% full.
If i tried to flash the recovery on the phone it's self it will say checking PG86IMG.zip then say something like PURSING then nothing just goes back to fastboot screen, that's just with the recovery.img in a zip folder on the root of my sd card.
I'm sure i'm missing something but let me know what you think.
also my phone has the hboot 1.57

You won't be able to flash recovery with a PG86IMG file because you are s-on. Just to double check, you are using the recovery.img and not a zipped file, correct? Also what recovery are you trying to flash?

Brian706

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I cannot get passed one of the initial phases,...: "fastboot oem get_identifier_token"
It does reboot into the bootloader so adb works, but when I get into the bootloader it does not say fastboot usb,... it just says fastboot, that is until i move the curser uo or down,... then it changes to usb,....

I am using Windows 8 and read somewhere that THAT might be my problem,.. i dont know... ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT,....

I think windows 8 is your problem... Anyway you can give it a shot on another computer? I dunno what type of usb ports You have but usb 3.0 can be a problem too.

dannyjoebrown

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
well this thread has scared me off, I guess super one click wont do the job, I just got my Virgin HTC EVO and was gonna root it but all this Im scared im gonna ruin it, I rooted my optimus very easy, if I do decide to try this, its ok that the phone is acvtvated already right, I never activated my old phone just flashed up to a higher droid OS

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
well this thread has scared me off, I guess super one click wont do the job, I just got my Virgin HTC EVO and was gonna root it but all this Im scared im gonna ruin it, I rooted my optimus very easy, if I do decide to try this, its ok that the phone is acvtvated already right, I never activated my old phone just flashed up to a higher droid OS

It's not hard at all. These instructions are just very thorough.

Sent from my HTC Evo V 4G

dannyjoebrown

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
WOW I feel like a PC geek now LOL, OK I got it unlocked and I thought I flashed it with something but as I was reading thru this forum, I dont have a superuser app in app box so I gotta flash that part or whatever its called, I cant believe all that token stuff worked, I guess I need to get the S -OFF but Im not sure, first I gotta get this superuser app on my phone I got the big unlock it says unlocked on the white screen. So all seems right,

BIG QUESTION, which ROMs to go with it seems most of the staff picks are Gingerbread roms, (am i losing much by not using ICS or do I need to be just focusing on ICS and Jellybean roms) I thought I flashed the phone with MIUIAndroid_evo4g_2.8.10 and it seems to have more space but I dont see no supersuer stuff onhere so let me relook at video

BTW IF YOURE HAVING TROUBLE, the directory if youwatch video I think the cmd should be c:\sdk-tools\sdk-tools if you made a folder than put the folder you downloaded in that folder,

dannyjoebrown

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I didnt flash the superusr.zip I got it now, so i dont have to flash superuser everytime I change ROMS right, I thought I just flashed the odex rom and looks like the other rom and all the virgin software was still on phone, ALso still dunno if I can step back to gingerbread (or if that is even wise to do since Im in ICS) but I thought I saw a jellbean rom too so I have the phone activated so I dont want to flash a rom that will interupt that

Brian706

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I didnt flash the superusr.zip I got it now, so i dont have to flash superuser everytime I change ROMS right, I thought I just flashed the odex rom and looks like the other rom and all the virgin software was still on phone, ALso still dunno if I can step back to gingerbread (or if that is even wise to do since Im in ICS) but I thought I saw a jellbean rom too so I have the phone activated so I dont want to flash a rom that will interupt that

The odex rom is the stock rom. About the only difference is it has superuser. It's the same as flashing just superuser yourself while stock. Basically the odex rom is stock Rooted and flashing superuser will root your stock... You don't have to flash it every time. I've never seen a rom that it wasn't included in. Either superuser or supersu.
As far as gingerbread roms go, you likely won't be able to flash most of them. A lot of them require different firmware and hboot versions which you can only change to if s-off.

Look at zr3d xl for a good ics rom. All of the jellybean roms out right now are a far different experience. They are AOSP roms (Android open source project) which means they don't run htc sense. They are stock Android. It is quite a change switching from sense to non sense. I'm running pacman jellybean rom right now. Was on paranoid android jellybean before that. These all require hboot 1.5 or below though. You'd have to get s-off and flash some older Firmware. It also might be beneficial to look into "fix everything by turning your evo v into an Evo 3d".

I'm not sure the rules on linking to other forums so just give that a Google search :p

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Im getting a "Your login information is incorrect.The existing username and/or password you submitted are not valid" whenever I try to login to HTC DEV. I've tried resetting my password twice, and it doesn't work. I am 100% sure that i'm entering it correctly, anyone know whats up?

Brian706

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Im getting a "Your login information is incorrect.The existing username and/or password you submitted are not valid" whenever I try to login to HTC DEV. I've tried resetting my password twice, and it doesn't work. I am 100% sure that i'm entering it correctly, anyone know whats up?

I've not seen this before. I have heard of people having issues lately but mainly connection issues. Is it possible you typed the wrong email address when signing up? Missed a letter or something? I can't remember if it makes you confirm your email address or not. Try signing up again and see what happens.

Jeff Passarella

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
ok I followed the guide and am getting stuck at the part where I am to reboot into recovery. It seemed to upload the recovery.img fine (no errors) but it end up rebooting to the white HTC screen twice and then boots into the phone..
I do see Unlocked on the bootloader.. and I get the following for the upload of the recovery.img and reboot

Code:
C:\sdk-tools\platform-tools>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
OKAY [  1.520s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 10.163s]
finished. total time: 11.685s

C:\sdk-tools\platform-tools>fastboot boot recovery.img
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [  1.519s]
booting...
OKAY [  0.002s]
finished. total time: 1.522s

what am i doing wrong?

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I've not seen this before. I have heard of people having issues lately but mainly connection issues. Is it possible you typed the wrong email address when signing up? Missed a letter or something? I can't remember if it makes you confirm your email address or not. Try signing up again and see what happens.

Ok thats weird. I was 100% sure I was using the correct information, even got a password reset sent to my email and verified my account. I set up a new account and it seems to be working fine. Guess it was some kind of bug. Thanks.

Brian706

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
ok I followed the guide and am getting stuck at the part where I am to reboot into recovery. It seemed to upload the recovery.img fine (no errors) but it end up rebooting to the white HTC screen twice and then boots into the phone..
I do see Unlocked on the bootloader.. and I get the following for the upload of the recovery.img and reboot

Code:
C:\sdk-tools\platform-tools>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
OKAY [  1.520s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 10.163s]
finished. total time: 11.685s

C:\sdk-tools\platform-tools>fastboot boot recovery.img
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [  1.519s]
booting...
OKAY [  0.002s]
finished. total time: 1.522s

what am i doing wrong?

It looks like you are doing everything fine. What happens if you try to boot into recovery without command prompt? Do a quick battery pull then boot into your bootloader by holding volume down +power button. Then use the volume up or down keys to navigate to recovery. Select recovery by tapping the power button.