Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By benny3
  • 1 Post By benny3
  • 2 Post By benny3
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Is Unlocking the BootLoader the same as Rooting?

    I'm getting the HTC Evo V on October 10th, and I wanna be sure I know what I'm doing. Now I've been looking through the forums and I heard the first step to flashing a ROM is unlocking the bootloader. Is that that the same as rooting or does it root in the process?
  2. #2  
    Irvgotti's Avatar

    Posts
    1,086 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Sense 4.1.1

    Default Re: Is Unlocking the BootLoader the same as Rooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1saint10 View Post
    I'm getting the HTC Evo V on October 10th, and I wanna be sure I know what I'm doing. Now I've been looking through the forums and I heard the first step to flashing a ROM is unlocking the bootloader. Is that that the same as rooting or does it root in the process?
    From my understanding.. Root means you have super user permission.. like over clocking the CPU or disabling some functions on the phone. Also the ability to tether for free.

    Unlocked bootloader gives you the ablilty to run Custom ROMs.. I think if its locked it can detect 3rd party software. .

    But they dont mean the same thing.. but you need them both if you want to be able to RUn Custom ROMs.
    Privacy is overrated :P
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  
    twelfth's Avatar

    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

    Default Re: Is Unlocking the BootLoader the same as Rooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Irvgotti View Post
    From my understanding.. Root means you have super user permission.. like over clocking the CPU or disabling some functions on the phone. Also the ability to tether for free.

    Unlocked bootloader gives you the ablilty to run Custom ROMs.. I think if its locked it can detect 3rd party software. .

    But they dont mean the same thing.. but you need them both if you want to be able to RUn Custom ROMs.
    Actually... if you even bothered to read the how-to guide on this very forum...

    You have to unlock the bootloader to be able to have root.

    Because when you unlock the bootloader, the phone factory resets and gives you superuser/root privs. The step after ONLY involves putting superuser.apk into /system/app by flashing a zip. Nothing else. No exploits, no rageagainstthecage or superoneclick. When you unlock, you have root.

    And you absolutely have to unlock the bootloader (along with getting SOFF) to install custom roms.

    So when it comes to the EVO 3D... unlocking the bootloader and rooting might as well be one in the same.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Is Unlocking the BootLoader the same as Rooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by twelfth View Post
    Actually... if you even bothered to read the how-to guide on this very forum...

    You have to unlock the bootloader to be able to have root.

    Because when you unlock the bootloader, the phone factory resets and gives you superuser/root privs. The step after ONLY involves putting superuser.apk into /system/app by flashing a zip. Nothing else. No exploits, no rageagainstthecage or superoneclick. When you unlock, you have root.

    And you absolutely have to unlock the bootloader (along with getting SOFF) to install custom roms.

    So when it comes to the EVO 3D... unlocking the bootloader and rooting might as well be one in the same.
    I was told I didn't need s-off to flash a certain rom (Mobster Rom) if I had the 4ext recovery installed on my phone.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Is Unlocking the BootLoader the same as Rooting?

    Unlocking the bootloader is just turning off the security so you can modify and change the first on your device.

    Unlocking the bootloader is required to root or flash a custom rom.

    Unlocking the bootloader is the first step to rooting but just unlocking the bootloader will not give you root. You need to flash the su patch or flash a custom rom to have root.

    S-off is getting the security off of the radio, hboot, and kernel so you can change and modify them.

    You only need s-off if you want to use a custom kernel, fix radio errors if you have them, or want to use a non sense based rom.

    All aosp or gingerbread roms require s-off and a downgraded hboot.






    Sent from my HTC Evo V 4G
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Is Unlocking the BootLoader the same as Rooting?

    hey im stuck on team win recovery project screen help..!!
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Is Unlocking the BootLoader the same as Rooting?

    it keeps taking me to install page please help...!!!!
  8. #8  
    benny3's Avatar
    Flashoholic!!

    Posts
    1,931 Posts
    ROM
    Bad Boyz Rom

    Default Re: Is Unlocking the BootLoader the same as Rooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amu Wright Wilson View Post
    it keeps taking me to install page please help...!!!!
    What are you trying or wanting to do?
    Thanked by:
    Wyan8105 likes this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Is Unlocking the BootLoader the same as Rooting?

    i was trying to root with twrp and now after i install supersu it reboots and brings me to the same page .. is there a way i can override twrp and just get my phone back..?
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Is Unlocking the BootLoader the same as Rooting?

    Why are you trying to root via trwp...Odin flash root then you can flash via trwp

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Is Unlocking the BootLoader the same as Rooting?

    cos im a noob and it said i could do it.. :/ what do i do tho?
  12. #12  
    benny3's Avatar
    Flashoholic!!

    Posts
    1,931 Posts
    ROM
    Bad Boyz Rom

    Default Re: Is Unlocking the BootLoader the same as Rooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Corey Sheldon View Post
    Why are you trying to root via trwp...Odin flash root then you can flash via trwp

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Odin? he has a HTC not a samsung
    Thanked by:
    Wyan8105 likes this.
  13. #13  
    benny3's Avatar
    Flashoholic!!

    Posts
    1,931 Posts
    ROM
    Bad Boyz Rom

    Default Re: Is Unlocking the BootLoader the same as Rooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amu Wright Wilson View Post
    cos im a noob and it said i could do it.. :/ what do i do tho?
    i would download a rooted stock rom and flash that in recovery
    Thanked by:
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Is Unlocking the BootLoader the same as Rooting?

    A rooted stock Rom where can i get that?
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Is Unlocking the BootLoader the same as Rooting?

    im sorry im soo clueless this is my first Android phone.. and i really need help.
  16. #16  
    benny3's Avatar
    Flashoholic!!

    Posts
    1,931 Posts
    ROM
    Bad Boyz Rom

    Default Re: Is Unlocking the BootLoader the same as Rooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amu Wright Wilson View Post
    im sorry im soo clueless this is my first Android phone.. and i really need help.
    Go here and search around. They have a selection to choose from

    How To Load a Custom ROM on an Android Device - TheUnlockr
    Thanked by 2:
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Is Unlocking the BootLoader the same as Rooting?

    Thanks i appreciate you trying to help..what do you recommend?
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Is Unlocking the BootLoader the same as Rooting?

    im shivering with fear i dont want to make it worse... do you think i should sell the phone on ebay for 125 and get another one? :/
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Is Unlocking the BootLoader the same as Rooting?

    please what would you recommend because im lost nd i really need my phone back pls..!!
  20. #20  

Similar Threads

  1. is a screen digitizer the same as a replacement glass?
    By quixoticelixer in forum AT&T ATRIX
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-12-2011, 09:18 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-12-2011, 05:49 PM
  3. IS the same for Rooting then, Inspire/Desire HD?
    By Staticpunk84 in forum AT&T Inspire 4G
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-12-2011, 04:37 PM
  4. Is a restart the same as a battery pull?
    By greydarrah in forum Motorola Droid X
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-27-2010, 02:08 PM
  5. Is the "calendar" on the HTC Incredible the same as the google calendar?
    By mattwill in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-06-2010, 04:07 PM

Posting Permissions