random restarts?

cporier91

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone experienced a random reboot since having their vivid? I have had 2 in the last week. Phone will lock up and turn on saying 'your device shut down because of an abnormal problem'.

Any thoughts?

knighthawk321

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone experienced a random reboot since having their vivid? I have had 2 in the last week. Phone will lock up and turn on saying 'your device shut down because of an abnormal problem'.

Any thoughts?

Worst case, back up the phone and do a factory reset to refresh the OS. Have you loaded any unusual apps?

cporier91

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Worst case, back up the phone and do a factory reset to refresh the OS. Have you loaded any unusual apps?

Just dl normal apps, nothing that would cause harm to my phone...hmm it's just strange. i'll see if it happens again in the next week, and if so i'll do a reset

spaceboyusa

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Vivid for 5 days now and it's randomly rebooted twice. I've only loaded some basic standard apps (Starbucks, Pandora, Chase, foursquare, etc.); nothing too hardcore. I'm not sure what caused it each time and it hasn't done it in the past 48 hours so...not sure what's up. I'll keep an eye on it and report back.

cporier91

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I've had my Vivid for 5 days now and it's randomly rebooted twice. I've only loaded some basic standard apps (Starbucks, Pandora, Chase, foursquare, etc.); nothing too hardcore. I'm not sure what caused it each time and it hasn't done it in the past 48 hours so...not sure what's up. I'll keep an eye on it and report back.

Yeah please do, if you find a fix or anything let me know. I appreciate it:)

oldmaj

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Mine does this every night while charging. It wakes me up with the boot screen going white. I sent the logs to HTC each time. It only happens while charging (which is at night), happens usually 3 times each night.

Pauley

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Mine has done it twice while I've been trying to unlock the screen with the power button on top. I press it and nothing, then press again, and again, then the phone would reboot. I also sent the logs to HTC.

ntrimm

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

Any thoughts?

Have them about 10 times a day. Best Buy is going to exchange as soon as they get a new shipment in later this week. New phones are nice but there's always the bugs to work out.

oldmaj

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Finally read through my logs and it looks like the battery gets hot while charging and then cools down some and generates a fatal reset.

knighthawk321

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I haven't run into this problem at all so far. The phone does get warm, especially when running it on external power, but never to the point of thermal shutdown.

becandl

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Mine does what pauly's does, where I will press the power button and it won't turn on, and then you press it a couple more times and it restarts. I have been sending the logs, hopefully HTC can get that fixed somehow. I have found though that if you happened to be plugged into a charger (or at least near one), you can unplug it or plug it back in and the screen will wake up. It's a temporary fix if anyone else has this issue.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

thesiger

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I noticed the restarts within the first couple of hours I had the phone and have had it happen about a dozen times in almost two weeks. Most of the restarts happened when pressing the power button on top to wake the screen. I also saw it a couple of times while charging. I've sent the reports to htc after each crash. It's a great phone but the restarts make want to return it for a different phone. Hope they fix it soon.

spaceboyusa

May 22, 2011
Visit site
+1, and I did just that...returned my first Vivid for a second...but unfortunately the results are starting out the same.

The last straw with my first Vivid was that it got into a continuous reboot loop and drained my battery from 85% to dead in like 10-15 minutes. I plugged it in with the charger, and accordingly to the HTC battery widget, when it charged back to 100%, the battery display at the top right of the phone showed an empty battery with the exclamation point. Seemed like a bad sign and given the random restarts...I took it back to BB in exchange for Vivid #2.

Vivid #2 started off better...over the first 36 hours, it charged faster than the first and seemed to hold the charge overall better on its first two drain cycles. However, last night, 48 hours in, it randomly restarted three times within 90 minutes. The first two occurred when I pushed the power button to wake it up, but the third time it happened just sitting on my nightstand.

I so want to like this phone but...not really interested to have to worry about this. My 30 days at BB is up next Tuesday; that'll give me a chance to look at the Nitro HD but quite honestly the 3 hour talk time listed on LG's site for the phone and even supposedly worse battery life makes me very nervous about switching to it.

Regardless, I have at least 4 more days with Vivid #2 so I'll continue to keep an eye on the restarts and post back should I notice anything more detail as to the cause.

becandl

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Yea I'm getting at least one random restart a day. Thankfully it has never happened when I was trying to do something important, but who is to say it won't? Kind of confusing, I'm not sure why it would do this.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

blueflame1979

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I just changed over from the iPhone and I love the HTC vivid. I've had it for 4 days and ever since the first day its been rebooting at least once, today it has rebooted 3 times. Usually like someone mentioned when I put it to sleep by pressing the power button then when I press it again to wake up, nothing happens followed by the HTC screen. The last time it rebooted I was on the net and the whole thing just crashed. I really love the phone so I'm also trying to find a solution, I got on htc's site sent an email and even called them. On the phone they suggested Id take the battery out and even a factory reset. I did both but nothing worked it crashed like 3 hours after that. I'm still waiting for the email. I'd hate to turn the
phone in for something as stupid as a random reset, hows everybodies phone holding on? :confused::-!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge