New to android have a few questions about my vivid

PinkL

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Totally new to android, got the HTC Vivid the day it was released and LOVE it.. I'm coming from numerous blackberries.
I have 2 questions..

How do I turn off the mobile network- reason is I have horrible service at my house and want to go strictly off wifi for web browsing and games.-So, I put the mobile network widget on my screen and when I unselect it, it still says I have 1 bar of EDGE or 1 bar of 4g and it is still connected...I have tried restarting the phone while it's still unselected and it still conects to AT&T.

Also, are there and LED applications that actually work with the HTC Vivid. The only thing I miss about my blackberry is the different LED notification lights.. No app I have tried works so far.

Any help would be great.. thanks! :)

ZeroRilix

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
For the first question, it will still connect to the network. Using my Inspire as the example, with mobile network off, you will still connect, just no data will be used. I will be getting my Vivid next month and will be not using Mobile Data like you since I only have a 200MB Data Plan. There are 2 ways to find that setting. 1) It is in the Quick Settings tab on your Notification shade, the one you slide your finger down from the top of the screen for. 2) Go to Settings-Wireless & Networks and it should be in there. As for the second question, my Inspire only has 2 colors for that light, red and green. I do not think there is an app available on the market to control those 2 colors, you can always try them though. Hope that helps.

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G

PinkL

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Another question I have is what's the best way to back up everything? My apps, contacts, emails, all my settings, sms...etc. iPhone has iTunes and blackberry has a desktop manager.. but i don't see anything for android or HTC that backs it all up, and also something that would make it easy to update to a new android device and br able to transfer everything over..

knighthawk321

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm coming off having Berries my last two phones: Curve and Bold 9700. There is an app for that (LOL!). It's called HTC Synch and is available from the HTC website. While there, take the time to download the full user manual for the Vivid. All ATT gives you is a quick-start guide. Not nearly enough info. I got the manual and have been studying it all week in anticipation of my Vivid's arrival. It's Well worth the time to read it. It goes into all the bells and whistles.

knighthawk321

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Get the manual. It discusses HTC Synch in detail. Go to the support page for the Vivid on the HTC website. In the downloads tab you'll find the download for HTC Synch (get it if you haven't already) and, at the bottom of the page, you'll find the downloads for the user manual and quick start guide. I can't emphasize enough the value of having and reading that manual in detail, especially for us Android rookies. I got mine in advance to sort of "pre-bond" with my phone before it even arrives. It's on the way.

galfert

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Here is how I handle Syncrhronization automatically. I call it Synchronization instead of backup because it is automatic backup. But my method may not back up everything but it backs up everything I need backed up.

For documents I installed Dropbox and that automatically synchronizes my documents.

For photos and videos I installed Google+ and configured it to automatically synchronize those.

For email I use Gmail and Hotmail apps so it is all on the server. That backs up email, contacts and calendar.

The apps that I install all are listed in respective Android app markets (Google and Amazon).

If I need to replace my phone it is pretty straight forward and just a matter of setting up all these services to synchronize again. My method also does not back up games that may have certain progress levels achieved. I don't put too much stake in games either.

I don't back up my SMS....because I don't see any value in keeping old SMS. But I'm sure that there are SMS backup programs available.

Last edited:

sherri

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
To back up and restore SMS, use this. (Using pro version for 2 years. Hasn't failed me yet....)

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore

For backup of SMS (does not restore to phone, but keeps them organized by conversation in a folder in your Gmail account called "chats", use this...

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.zegoggles.smssync

I backup my Apps to Lookout, but prefer Titanium as it restores data as well...

I have a Moto Droid, but the apps I listed are for all Android phones running at least 2.1

Hope it helps!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

PinkL

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks soo much for all the replies!! I have another question.. I went to the att store today to see if its ok to use my old blackberry torch charger.. she said if its from an att store its fine, but if its from amazon or somewhere else it has a different voltage and would mess my battery up... How can I check the voltage to find out myself? I have the igrip car charger n don't wanna have to buy another for the vivid..

knighthawk321

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
The voltage will be OK, regardless. They all have to conform to USB specs. I use my old BB Bold charger when needed, and haven't had any probs. I also charge from whatever computer is handy (doing that, now, as a matter of fact). The USB spec sets the voltage. USB2 output is 5 VDC at a max output per port of 500 milliamps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34