I am considering the Vivid...

neftv

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi
I am considering the getting Vivid. I am in the middle of my first 30 days of a 2 year contract and I have been trying the Titan. Right now I am on the second Titan because of audio quality but more importantly a random reboot issue that happens.
I like to know how did you decide you wanted the Vivid?
Any surprises I should know about on the Vivid?
Have any of you come from trying a Titan before getting a Vivid?

Yes I read the thread of the first 12 hrs of having the Vivid too.

backtothemac

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Wow. Small world. I had the Titan too. I started seeing a pattern where people would say, "what? I can't hear you. Are you holding your phone weird? You sound like you are in a tunnel!"

So I did some reading at wpcentral.com and discovered that the Titan is notorious for doing that. SO, I decided to go back to Android. I have had a Skyrocket (two and bother were defective) and a Galaxy SII. Loved the Galaxy, hated the weight. It constantly felt like I would drop it.

The Titan was amazing. Windows phone is amazing. Although after a week or two it gets very boring. The deal breaker on the Titan was that there wasn't voice dictation in emails. There is in text but not emails. I drive constantly during the day and that was a massive problem for me. So, my only real option that I would consider was the Vivid.

Let me say the name lives up to the screen. It is one of the best I have seen. Great color depth, not fake looking like the Sammy's. Battery life is no where near as good as the Titan, but lets face it no Android phone would be. WP7.5 does an amazing job on battery. Anyway. Build quality is excellent. Signal is great. Better than anything I have used on AT&T. Areas where I would have nothing, I have one bar and can maintain a call where they used to drop.

Hate that you have to hide the beauty of the phone in a case, but it is best. That plastic is slippery. I would give the vivid a shot. It is a very good phone. Plus the bootloader can now be unlocked. So S-Off is coming soon and so will CM9. This phone will be amazing with CM9 on it.

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree with the post above. The vivid is a great device. I love the screen as well and now that we are getting s-off and Roms on the way it will be even better. Even if you decide not to root this phone is one you will like. Build quality, screen size and overall performance is great. Plus it will be one of the first to recieve the ice cream sandwich update. The WiFi connection is always strong. I am always on full bars. I love LTE and using the WiFi hot spot feature is a plus. Battery life is what is to be expected from an android. I would really recommend you check it out and give it a try. Good luck in your decision.

Sent from my HTC PH39100

neftv

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
fladroid and Seanz Thank you for your posts.
Yesterday I did go to an AT&T store and looked at the Vivid. They allow you to test the phone make a phone call. So I did that. I thought the phone call audio quality was the same as the Titan. Atleast on mine it is. Very Cell phone quality. I guess that is typical for HTCs. I was told you can almost get a day out of the battery. I also looked at (SAR Specific Absorbtion rate) of all the phones I mentioned and Titan has the lowest although there are even lower ones based on the chart I saw from CNET.
Over in the WPcentral someone had been talking with HTC about Titan's call audio quality and finally they said they know about the audio issue and they are working on it. As for the reboot issue some else came up with the idea to check the Sim Card and the holder that it sits in. So I did that and this is my first overnight without a reboot.

neftv

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
How is the video recording on the Vivid? Let say your in your living room and your TV is like 20 feet away as normal audio level, how is the audio pick up? With the Titan it seems like if your not right up need the mic you really have to put the volume all the up to hear it in playback.

Iamdunne

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I was really thinking long and hard about switching to the Titan and checking out windows but after having android and using a launcher that somewhat mimics windows I too worried I would get bored. Went with the iPhone 4s for a few days but wasn't for me for the same reasons after android found it boring. Opted for a white vivid and I must say I really liked the phone. Thought the display was wonderful and really liked sense. Only real complaints were with out of order and multiple texts, and I didn't like the volume of the phone at max I strained to hear my gps directions. Final straw was when I took my case off and the front plastic was pulling away from the screen. I returned mine for the skyrocket. Have now had usage of both phones for a month and after having 5 smart phones I have come to the conclusion there is no perfect phone! Pros and cons of each. Not sure if that helps, guess it matters what you find most important in a smart phone and go with the one that is best at that. I do miss my vivid display... But am happy with my skyrocket.

spaceboyusa

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I really wanted to like the Vivid but after two phones and what I call a "reboot a day" (at least once a day, if not more, when I would press the power button to wake the phone up from standby, it would just crash and reboot), I gave up. I ended up switching to the LG Nitro for two weeks but it's battery life is terrible so I bailed entirely to Verizon and the Galaxy Nexus, where I am finally happy.

To each his own...not saying my Vivid experience should deter you as other than the reboots, I was pretty happy with the phone.

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Well said by both posts above. It's a matter of prefere and each phone has its pluses. As for the volume when recording I do find it good. The sound is clear. It could be louder but Is in no way bad. The only thing I do wish was better was the speaker. When listening to YouTube or tunein the volume is not very loud. Luckily power amp is a beast for my collection and makes it sound great!

Sent from my HTC PH39100

AnonymousUser

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I have the HTC Vivid & an iPhone 4S, and I prefer the Vivid over the iPhone 4S in some ways.

~The 4.5" screen on the Vivid is awesome, the colours are deep and pleasant to look at.

~The internet connection options are AT&T HSPA+, AT&T LTE, and WiFi. The WiFi has a strong signal lock, and the AT&T data network holds fair, and is very fast.

~The battery life is actually very good on my Vivid. I set up "Facebook For Sense", synced 2 times per day, "Weather" is setup to sync when the phone is turned on, and Gmail is setup for push. Nothing synced for "Stocks", "News", etc. I also have the GPS & other nonessential features turned off, as GPS can be turned on in the Notification Bar>Settings. And, with an app killer (AppControl is good), killing off apps after closing them, really helps. With those tweaks in mind, I can easy get about 2 days between charges, and that is with moderate usage (a few calls, texts, emails, running a couple of apps, etc.).

I did notice the camera actually runs the battery down a bit. I was taking 20 pictures over the span of 30 minutes, and the battery lost 20%. But with a 4.5" screen, a camera, & sending those 20 pictures to Gmail all drinking the battery's juice, that is to be expected.

The battery life on the Vivid actually runs about the same as it does on my iPhone 4S (approx. 2 days) with the same usage, except on the Vivid, it is synced to "Facebook For Sense" twice daily.

All-in-all, the Vivid is an awesome phone, & shouldn't be taken as just the same-ol, same-ol HTC device. This is a HTC phone in a category all it's own. I even prefer it over my old HTC Evo 3D.

kygator13

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I switched from a blackberry torch 9810. I have been a loyal BB user for the past 5 years and I really was impressed with the vivid when I saw it in the at&t store. I liked it so much so that I sold my torch on ebay and bought a Vivid outright since i was 3 months into a new 2 year contract. Here is what my impressions are so far:

I love the way the phone feels in my hand. It is a heavier device but love the feel and weight. I bought an otterbox case for it to protect it (also off ebay, I love me some ebay!). The screen is amazing, huge, bright, very deep and rich with color.

Battery life is better than I thought it would be. I have a cable at my office desk and keep one at home and that covers me no matter what.

HTC sense is what I really liked about the device. I love the UI and interface, it is very customizable and easy to use.

The keyboard is great and easy to use, and this is coming from a blackberry keyboard guy! I can almost type faster on it already.

I still have a lot to learn about the droid platform and everything I can do with my device, but I love it and glad I made the switch!

cajuncartfan

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
I am on my second Vivid. My first I experienced the pulling away of the screen from the sides that has been noted. This one is not doing it. I have had the Atrix, Infuse, Galaxy S II, and the Vivid this year alone. I always come back to HTC devices because I love the Sense UI. I have also found the battery for me to be on par with the Atrix which was the only reason I used it for so long. I am very happy with the Vivid and I also have the Jetstream tablet. Get the white one, its nice! Its the color I have.

neftv

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
How is using Bluetooth on the Vivid? Does it do file sharing with any other bluetooth device?
Just today I discovered in trying to share pictures with my sister inlaw's phone was a frustrating experience. It seems that at the present time WIndows Phone does not have file sharing in bluetooth mode. I thought Windows Phone was all about sharing files and videos and they even give you that Skydrive but I guess the forgot Bluetooth mode file sharing.

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
The Bluetooth works great on the vivid and I have not had any issues connecting with other devices for transfers. It.has worked perfext so far.

Sent from my HTC PH39100

neftv

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I am going to see how it goes with my Titan now that I discovered what the random reboot issue may be coming from. I give it till late Tuesday early Wednesday.
Dispite not being able to use Bluetooth for File transfers and the browser not supporting flash and sort of a third supporting HTML5 based on the html5test.com result it still a pretty nice phone for keeping it simple in and out.
Now Amazonwireless doubled most of the prices of the phones even the Titan and the Vivid that is a deterent now to making a change.

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
"Power Amp"? Am satisfied with the sound from the Vivid whether it's internet, phone, speakerphone, or music. When shopping I compared the Vivid and Samsung Galaxy S II and the Samsung was louder. Screen accuracy and clarity was more important. Still would like to make an improvement to the sound so am curious what "Power Amp" is. Thanks!

In regard to the "Reboot a day" - I've not had that issue. I manage cache and applications several times a day for optimization. Often am surprised by the number of apps open.

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Power amp is a music player. It is awesome. I love it. It has equalizer and it allows you to tweak the sound of your music. It's only for your music though and it is worth the five dollars.

Sent From My HTC Vivid

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm also considering the Vivid. Have an iPhone4 now, but i'm getting tired of it. I need to know if i can get notifications on the lock screen, will the phone automatically update weather from a new location, and will the phone give me a 24hr time & date format (example...1:00 pm on Fri. Sept. 8th, becomes...13:00 Fri. 08 Sept.)? Thanks for any feedback.:)

neftv

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm also considering the Vivid. Have an iPhone4 now, but i'm getting tired of it. I need to know if i can get notifications on the lock screen, will the phone automatically update weather from a new location, and will the phone give me a 24hr time & date format (example...1:00 pm on Fri. Sept. 8th, becomes...13:00 Fri. 08 Sept.)? Thanks for any feedback.:)

I decided to stick with my HTC Titan and my first 30 days are just about up. I really like this phone. Titan been behaving better lately. I been reading that there are software updates coming then the big one on the OS called Tango in just a few months.
I dont know about the Vivid questions I know on the Titan you can have a 24hr clock and you can indications of messages on the lock screen wallpaper. And once I open the lock screen wallpaper I have a tile for the weather that updates as well, So I can't give you info on the Vivid like that but I suggest you go into a store and visit the Vivid and ask your questions. That is what I did saw the Vivid, Titan and the SII among the few I saw.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I decided to stick with my HTC Titan and my first 30 days are just about up. I really like this phone. Titan been behaving better lately. I been reading that there are software updates coming then the big one on the OS called Tango in just a few months.
I dont know about the Vivid questions I know on the Titan you can have a 24hr clock and you can indications of messages on the lock screen wallpaper. And once I open the lock screen wallpaper I have a tile for the weather that updates as well, So I can't give you info on the Vivid like that but I suggest you go into a store and visit the Vivid and ask your questions. That is what I did saw the Vivid, Titan and the SII among the few I saw.

Thanks for the info. I will go to an AT&T store, and check out that Vivid. :)