ICS Update Problem/Bug Occurring.

rcalderaro

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I updated my Vivid to ICS yesterday from AT&T. I have been having problems with the GPS staying on for some reason so decided to reboot the phone. When I did that, I got a message that the phone was updating 1 of 36, etc. Thought that was strange so after it started, and I got the same issue with the GPS, I restarted it again and got the same updating message. I know this isn't normal. Does anyone know what is causing this? When I check for updates, it says I'm up to date???

I used to have a BB Torch and am loving my Vivid but don't understand why it keeps updating when it says it was successful the first time. Whenever I updated my Torch, I had to pull the battery several times, do I have to do that with my Droid?

Thanks so much for any help!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: ICS Update Question

The updating message your getting is showing that 1 application is updating, this happens whenever a system related app is updated/changed. Why it keeps updating each time you reboot is a mystery.

rcalderaro

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site

Wonderful, my first update and this happens. Yep, I just restarted and it did it again - Android is upgrading - Optimizing Application 1 of 36, 2 of 36, and so on.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Hmmm that should only be happening when a change has been made to the application(s).

Lets sit back and here what others have to say concerning this...

FYI, I will modify your thread title so it gets better attention.

rcalderaro

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site

Hmmm that should only be happening when a change has been made to the application(s).

Lets sit back and here what others have to say concerning this...

FYI, I will modify your thread title so it gets better attention.

Thanks.

K Bear

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Wonderful, my first update and this happens. Yep, I just restarted and it did it again - Android is upgrading - Optimizing Application 1 of 36, 2 of 36, and so on.

When my audio stops working, I restart and get the Android is upgrading 1 of 29 updates message. Once Iget to the home screen, everything works normally.

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I have also experienced this. Each time my device powers off and I turn it back on it occurs. I read on another forum from a developer that this is normal on stock and rooted devices with ics. Why? I have no clue but wondering as well.

rae2u_112

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Since I got the upgrade, I have rebooted a couple times and I am getting the same 'upgrading' message. Mine is showing 29 updates as well.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I have also experienced this. Each time my device powers off and I turn it back on it occurs. I read on another forum from a developer that this is normal on stock and rooted devices with ics. Why? I have no clue but wondering as well.

Yes it is normal if an application(s) is changed/updated. I've ran various stock and custom ICS builds on my Nexus S 4g and the only time I get that message is in two situations.

1. Application(s) has changed/updated.

2. Cleared the cache/dalvik cache.

Vetdoctor

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I had to do a batter pull reset for reasons I posted elsewhere and it updated 63 apps. Because of this tread I rebooted yet again but nothing unusual. Goes to show, always do a battery pull reset after a major update.

rcalderaro

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I had to do a batter pull reset for reasons I posted elsewhere and it updated 63 apps. Because of this tread I rebooted yet again but nothing unusual. Goes to show, always do a battery pull reset after a major update.

I just did a battery pull and then rebooted after that and still got the updating apps. Between this and my GPS always being on, I'm going crazy.

Jesselp1980

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
My vivid is also doing the appication update but its also very slow and laggy now and it is force closing all the time.... I have done a battery pull and everything....

knighthawk321

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
It did that to me once during the upgrade. To finish it, I had to do a battery pull, start it up, then do a restart. Got the notice you've been getting, but haven't gotten it since.

bruce7373

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I'll add to the chorus. I updated yesterday via PC after downloading from HTC's site, and am getting the updating process also. At least I know it isn't just me.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Me too. When i reboot, this happens (only since the ICS update), but everything snaps back to normal when it's done. You're only talking about a 30sec. wait, so it's no biggy.:D

bruce7373

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
There's something else I'm noticing. The Wifi icon doesn't always show the signal strength. Only the little dot on the bottom is lit and and I can be sitting 3 feet from the router. After a reboot it lights up fine, but generally not after coming out of standby (I disabled JD to be sure it wasn't the problem).

Anyone else seeing this?

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
There's something else I'm noticing. The Wifi icon doesn't always show the signal strength. Only the little dot on the bottom is lit and and I can be sitting 3 feet from the router. After a reboot it lights up fine, but generally not after coming out of standby (I disabled JD to be sure it wasn't the problem).

Anyone else seeing this?

Absolutely no problems with the phone after update. Lockscreen Agenda app doesn't work anymore, but that's not the phone's fault.:D

zach51997

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I own an HTC Vivid and updated yesterday. I have the same thing happen each time: It says "Andriod is updating..." and it optomizes 62 apps. :mad:

No GPS problems but In the location settings i think there is a sertting that keeps it on dispite other shortcuts to the function. :-!

This does not seem normal to me, maybe there is another update coming our way? :p