Ice Cream headache

Vetdoctor

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I updated to ICS last night and it went smooth as silk. . . except, my voice dialer is missing and my BlueAnd Q2 uses the voice dialer to make calls. I called AT&T. After explaining to the phone tech what Andoid is, what a Vivid is, what a Bluetooth device is and, after explaining the problem, he referred me to HTC.

HTC is always helpful and the tech was very knowledgeable. He said he had an ICS build, "For some time" and laughed. Still, after running the phone through its paces, the issue was not with the Vivid (though ICS did "move" the Voice dialer into the general search), rather with the BlueAnt Q2. Sooo, off to BlueAnt.

Apparently, BlueAnt has moved to India and the guy answering the phone had a long pause when I mentioned Ice Cream Sandwich. Still, he caught on pretty quickly and had me go through the: Unpair, reboot phone and Q2, re-pair, and reconnect. Still, I can't use the BlueAnt to make a call through the Voice dialer on the phone. "The engineers are looking into it".

This is what I have a bluetooth for. When I'm driving down the road and want to call my wife, the last thing I want is to have to pick up the phone and manipulate it to make a call. I will ask you guys something. The HTC guy said he uses a "cheap" bluetooth earpiece to activate the phone and he can do all the Google commands, open map, send text, call people ,whatever. The BlueAnt can only connect me to the (now non-existant) dialer. So who has a good quality bluetooth ear piece that can activate the Google functions without touching the phone?

Vetdoctor

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Update from BlueAnt:

Dear Martin,

Thanks for contacting BlueAnt.

We apologize for any inconvenience that BlueAnt device has cause.

I have escalated your issue to our engineers , it seems

that you're not the only one having problem after upgrading their OS.

Our engineers are now doing everything they can to resolve this issue.

Here's an article that may be able to help you regarding this issue :

HTC Mobile Phone Support - HTC Vivid

"How do I use voice dialing with a compatible Bluetooth device?

In order for voice dialing to work through a Bluetooth device,

To use voice dialing with a compatible Bluetooth device,

ess and hold on the Search button on the handset,

speak from the Bluetooth device when the prompt is displayed on your device.

You can use keywords like "call <contact name> <contact type>".

For example, "call John Smith home" will call John Smith's home number.

(don't use phone commands on your Q2 )

If the problem still persist you can contact htc

ask if they can provide some apps or even 3rd party apps that will activate

voice dial on your phone.

Again were sorry for the inconvenience.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
That happens with some apps when there's a software update. Give it some time, I'm sure they will update the app

Vetdoctor

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks it's just frustrating when this is a feature that I use several times a day everyday and depend on. do you have a bluetooth earpiece what brand is it does it connect to the google commands like send text and call someone?

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, my mobility support guy at work recommends a factory reset after any major update of OS or firmware. It ensures that everything is installed and working correctly with the new image. Painful, I know, but once you've done it a few times (as I have ... thanks, HTC! :( ), it doesn't really take too long. The remote installation feature of Google Play makes it pretty painless.

Unfortunately, this doesn't help when you're in the middle of a game. Depending upon the title, stats, progress, and saved states are lost. :'(

Vetdoctor

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Factory reset. . . yes, back when I was with Sprint the technician told me to FR before and after a major install. You know, I did that when I rooted and installed CM7 on my Evo and through about it on this one. But, laziness won out.

ET Guy

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Greetings -

Sorry to bust up this party. You can add me to the growing list of people that have lost features and you can add the BlueAnt application to the dead list as well. I have a Galaxy III and that phone isn't compatible with the app. But as we've heard - never fear, BA's "engineers are on it!" If they are the same engineers that are (still?) writing the 64 bit updater (non existent since nobody has ever used a 64 bit OS let alone CPU) then hell will freeze (even considering global warming) first! I hate to add to the flames that BA has started, but if you want to bill yourself as a cutting edge company, you need to walk the talk. In simple words - I contacted them, and have repeatedly contacted them, about the 64 bit updater, starting over two years ago - and it's "still a work in progress..."! In short folks, don't hold your breath - in fact run for the doors and purchase virtually anything but BA. By the way, I could add lots to the bad tech support BA has, like wanting "proof of purchase" on a device that they admit was properly registered, has only been available (at the time) 6 months and carried a two year warranty. Why bother to register at all?! For everyone except BA you do that for updates (which never happen) and warranty/tech support. Thanks for letting me vent folks - but if I were you, I'd stay away from BlueAnt devices in any shape or size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol